Turner Sports to continue carrying MLB games through the 2028 season

dman748

In the midst of this current climate Turner Sports and MLB have agreed to a deal that'll start after the 2021 season https://awfulannouncing.com/turner/tbs-looks-to-continue-its-relationship-with-mlb-into-the-late-2020s-for-a-cool-1-billion.html

I have to wonder was this the right time to make such a deal or was this something that was planned out even before all of this happened. Not to mention we have a labor dispute ongoing as well.

But, they got it done when they did and that's all it matters.

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

In the midst of this current climate Turner Sports and MLB have agreed to a deal that'll start after the 2021 season https://awfulannouncing.com/turner/tbs-looks-to-continue-its-relationship-with-mlb-into-the-late-2020s-for-a-cool-1-billion.html

I have to wonder was this the right time to make such a deal or was this something that was planned out even before all of this happened. Not to mention we have a labor dispute ongoing as well.

But, they got it done when they did and that's all it matters.

So they're going to move the Sunday games, which are unpopular because it's non-exclusive, and everyone's watching their local teams instead, to Tuesday night, where it will be non-exclusive, and every other team is playing at the same time as well.

The good news is that weeknights are still probably more likely to catch the attention of channel surfers. The bad news is we don't even know what will be left of MLB after all these labor issues.

Doesn't ESPN currently have MLB games on Tuesday nights? If so that would reduce the amount of MLB games they air during the week from 4 days a week to 3 with TBS shifting to Tuesday nights and probably will result in an increase in games (just guessing it'd probably be anywhere from 25 to 50 games per season if not more)

I could see MLB Network picking up the Sunday afternoon games but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunday afternoon slate goes entirely RSN (or whatever eventually becomes of the RSNs) exclusive.

5 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Doesn't ESPN currently have MLB games on Tuesday nights? If so that would reduce the amount of MLB games they air during the week from 4 days a week to 3 with TBS shifting to Tuesday nights and probably will result in an increase in games (just guessing it'd probably be anywhere from 25 to 50 games per season if not more)

I could see MLB Network picking up the Sunday afternoon games but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunday afternoon slate goes entirely RSN (or whatever eventually becomes of the RSNs) exclusive.

ESPN only airs games on Tuesday night if they are unable to air a game on Monday or Wednesday night due to a commitment to airing something else (typically NBA Playoffs). ESPN technically only has Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday nights.

MLB Network tends to air games on any day that a national network doesn't air a game, so much like the first half of the season, MLB Network would most certainly air a game on Sunday afternoons, almost certainly just an RSN simulcast like they typically do.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

MLB Network tends to air games on any day that a national network doesn't air a game

Pretty sure this is why MLB Network created Strike Zone. It's basically where MLBN dumps MLB Tonight (though usually without the usual personalities and more subdued) on Tuesdays and Fridays when they're simulcasting games, so they have some sort of whiparound coverage somewhere. I wonder if they'd start doing it on Sunday afternoons as well...even though MLBN already usually carries at least one Sunday afternoon simulcast.

5 hours ago, ehatt493 said:

Pretty sure this is why MLB Network created Strike Zone. It's basically where MLBN dumps MLB Tonight (though usually without the usual personalities and more subdued) on Tuesdays and Fridays when they're simulcasting games, so they have some sort of whiparound coverage somewhere. I wonder if they'd start doing it on Sunday afternoons as well...even though MLBN already usually carries at least one Sunday afternoon simulcast.

Yeah, I really wish MLB Network would consider adding back a few more nights of nonstop MLB Tonight. Back when I first discovered them in 2010, the norm was to have 6-7 nonstop hours of MLB Tonight every single night. I'm sure it must have been costly, as they started leaning heavily on airing the RSN-simulcast games replacing several hours of MLB Tonight starting in 2011 and 2012.

I understand that they probably can't budget doing the 6-7 hours of MLB Tonight every single night anymore, but I just wish they would do it once or twice a week.

It's also kinda crazy how often their daytime lineup gets replaced by live games. Many weeks, their daytime shows are only aired one or two days, with the rest of the week being all live games.

I think MLB Network should do more MLB Tonight and less live games however, I think the reason why Major League Baseball is doing that is because of the fact that more games for MLB Network= more $$$$.

However I also see Spring's point as far as doing MLB Tonight more but I think they should do more The Rundown and all the other daytime shows besides MLB Central and less live action

Archived