Dick Johnson (1953-2020)

TVNewsLover

I just heard the news on ABC 7, and Elgas & Hsu were both shaken, the 2 having worked with him. Maybe not for his current NBC colleagues, but perhaps it came as a surprise to others, because his temporary relocation to Michigan was supposed to protect him from the pandemic, but it seems his pre-existing condition is ultimately what took him. I'd expect tributes for him across all 5 stations tonight, as he anchored and/or reported with at least 1 employee from each station over the years.

Just terrible for everyone at the NBC Tower ☹️. Dick Johnson was a true Chicago legend when 5 opened their first street side studio as 'Studio 5' for mornings, noon. He will be missed as always 🙏🏻 

I didn't know about this until just now. I was watching WMAQ's tornado coverage earlier, and Brant Miller seemed visibly shaken, and I couldn't understand why. Now I understand. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Dick was a true professional, and I see nothing but high regards for him both on and off the air. All the best to his family.

One small, but interesting fact..

There is currently at least 1 person at each of the 5 stations (WMAQ, WLS, WFLD, WGN & WBBM) that, at some point in the past 20 yrs., has worked with Dick Johnson. 

53 minutes ago, jase said:

One small, but interesting fact..

There is currently at least 1 person at each of the 5 stations (WMAQ, WLS, WFLD, WGN & WBBM) that, at some point in the past 20 yrs., has worked with Dick Johnson. 

Was Ed Curran ever at NBC? WBBM is the one I'm having a hard time figuring out from memory. Not to make light of the situation, but his career made him the perfect candidate for Six Degrees of Dick Johnson. Having worked with Joel and Fahey back in the day, all the way to the kids of now,

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Was Ed Curran ever at NBC? WBBM is the one I'm having a hard time figuring out from memory. Not to make light of the situation, but his career made him the perfect candidate for Six Degrees of Dick Johnson. Having worked with Joel and Fahey back in the day, all the way to the kids of now,

No not Ed. Dave Savini (sp?), who left for WBBM 2 yrs after Dick arrived at MAQ.

14 hours ago, 24994J said:

Was Ed Curran ever at NBC?

12 hours ago, jase said:

No not Ed.

Ed Curran was weekday morning meteorologist at NBC5 before he was weekday morning meteorologist at CBS 2.  Joe Ahern lured him away in late 2002 as one of the first pieces to revamping CBS 2 Morning News.

Just hearing Marion's voice breaking like that, and how everyone talks so highly of Dick in these clips, it truly shows you that for a lot of news organizations (and a lot of different workplaces), your co-workers become a second family.

Archived