Phil Lipof

RealNews18

Phil Lipof has left NBC10 in Boston.. take a look at the post.. a lot of comments say “wish you were back in NY” etc... his responses don’t say “yes” but they definitely don’t say “no”. Could he reunite with Michelle? Changes to early evenings? I predict yes
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2512481385731799&substory_index=0&id=1833114843668460&__tn__=*s*s-R

I noticed these comments & responses on his Twitter post as well. But with the hiring of Marza, I really doubt this will happen, and I think Lipof's run probably won't continue with WABC, at least if he actually does return to New York (and considering his wife continues her battle with lupus, who knows if they'll make another move?). There's some chatter in the WABC thread about the line of succession, and I personally don't really see him nestled anywhere. 

So I was the person who posted about the succession at WABC. 

Technically, Mike has not been named as the replacement for Rob Nelson. The succession laid out has nothing to do with him being named the permanent weekend-morning anchor.  Mike was hired as a fill-in anchor and GA reporter. 

I don’t have a definitive answer regarding Phil, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back with Michelle and Amy on weekend mornings. He visits frequently - albeit has not in a few months with everything going on - and always talks about missing WABC - and I think he has regrets about leaving at the end of his contract when he didn’t get the weekday morning job.

Sometimes we make decisions in haste that look good on paper, but don’t end up being great in reality. 

7 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

and I think he has regrets about leaving at the end of his contract when he didn’t get the weekday morning job.

Thanks for providing your insight.

This got me thinking, has there been any talk about how long Rosato will be in the seat for weekday AMs? Stokes bouncing in '17 shocked many, and I would hope he doesn't exit as abruptly either. 

Yeah, Marza's been doing fine as a fill-in but I can see he hasn't really been "officially appointed" into a role and we're all just adapting to it ATM. 

I can see that Lipof really does like NY, so we'll see what happens by year's end. 

Don’t expect Ken to be going anywhere. 
There is an effort to get Lori back - with Davis and Edwards gone - management is trying to get her back for the 5pm - as a permanent replacement for Diana.  
The way things went down with Lori were dirty. Shirleen was Camille’s pet - and Dave was a dirty boy. She was essentially forced out to make way for Shirleen - something that no one around the office forgets. Lori was loved by all - and still is - and the hope is to get her back at the end of her current deal with Fox. 

Lori’s abrupt exit was so shameful and a reflection of the awful management that existed at the time.. Thankfully she had great legal representation that got her out of her contract early AND forced the station to give her a live, on-air send off.  

Would be amazing to get her back for the 5pm but I won’t hold my breath. 

6 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

Don’t expect Ken to be going anywhere. 
There is an effort to get Lori back - with Davis and Edwards gone - management is trying to get her back for the 5pm - as a permanent replacement for Diana.  
The way things went down with Lori were dirty. Shirleen was Camille’s pet - and Dave was a dirty boy. She was essentially forced out to make way for Shirleen - something that no one around the office forgets. Lori was loved by all - and still is - and the hope is to get her back at the end of her current deal with Fox. 

Ya, I could see her getting back at WABC maybe to be there 5pm first all black-woman anchor team in New York okay. I could see Eyewitness News at 5 P.M. with Lori Stokes and Sade Baderinwa I could see that happening. However now that Bill Ritter currently doing the 5 P.M, newscast along 6 P.M. and 11 P.M. newscast. They just started following treads of other ABC Owned Stations, like WLS (In Chicago) and WTVD (In Raleigh) and KABC (in Los Angeles) and KGO (In San Fransisco) in doing all the newscasts or having all there lead chief anchors anchor all the main evening and late newscasts on weekdays. However with Bill Ritter doing the 5 P.M newscast they have no talent for Bill and Sade in fact when Diana Williams was in it they rarely showed the talent opens, just like how don’t do it or rarely for the 11 P.M.

Okay, a little to unpack here.

1. Did I fall into a coma for a bit, because last I checked, Lori is gainfully employed by another station.
  2. Lori is almost 58 years old and a 20-year veteran of the market. Where is WABC getting the money to bring her back?
  3. Related to 2...Not sure if anyone heard, but there's a pandemic, and hiring is at a virtual standstill, never mind the possibility of lay-offs.
  4. IF they brought her back, she'd be at the helm of 2 newscasts (if at 5, probably bump Shirleen from the noon, too), unless they reinstated her in the morning.
  5. Again, branching off the last point, WABC already has a log-jam of female talent, and a slightly thin male anchor bench. Nailing that down should be the priority.

I was always under the impression that Ritter doing the 5 was always only temporary.. until they got someone else and to “ease” the transition. Lipof was always liked by viewers and I know Bill was a fan too.. could always be he comes back and gets the 5:00 and fill in. Again all 100% speculation at this point and it won’t be for months but who knows.. 

As for Lori Stokes she seems very happy with what she’s doing with Rosanna I don’t see her going back to WABC 

I know we all like to play "Guess What Station The Anchor is Going to" but from Phil's own words it sounds like he has another job already lined up, he just can't talk about it yet. This is from his May 28th Instagram post:

"I am really excited about what comes next. When I can share that information with you, I will! In the meantime, let's stay connected here and on all social platforms."

Well, Ernie just retired.  That’s the only opening that I know of-and FOX 5 just saved a lot of money because of it, maybe enough to hire Phil to do the 6pm newscast.  It’s all just speculation though at this point.  

970532552_ScreenShot2020-06-16at1_22_55PM.png.886b7567aa10567caf7f31cd02cf5db7.png

Hard to imagine why someone remotely intelligent would say that publicly unless it were true. But hell, who knows. His replies to other comments all suggest he's returning to NYC.

As for attempts by WABC to lure Lori back, it's the first I'm hearing of this.  But it wouldn't surprise me.  Chad Matthews, the ND at WABC who replaced Camille, has a good relationship with Lori from his first stint at WABC. 

12 minutes ago, mountainave said:

970532552_ScreenShot2020-06-16at1_22_55PM.png.886b7567aa10567caf7f31cd02cf5db7.png

Hard to imagine why someone remotely intelligent would say that publicly unless it were true. But hell, who knows. His replies to other comments all suggest he's returning to NYC.

As for attempts by WABC to lure Lori back, it's the first I'm hearing of this.  But it wouldn't surprise me.  Chad Matthews, the ND at WABC who replaced Camille, has a good relationship with Lori from his first stint at WABC. 

It’d be nice to see him and Lori paired, whether it’s at WNYW or WABC, as that should have been the pairing once Steve left. Nothing against Ken because he does a great job, I just felt like Phil was a better choice at the time.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, Colortini said:

Well, Ernie just retired.  That’s the only opening that I know of-and FOX 5 just saved a lot of money because of it, maybe enough to hire Phil to do the 6pm newscast.  It’s all just speculation though at this point.  

Fun Fact: Phil Lipof's first job (WTZA/WRNN) was alongside Ernie's daughter Nina.

Additional Fun Fact: Somehow that old studio in Kingston was a house of chemistry as both Phil and Nina met their spouses (Juli Auclair later of WHDH/WFOR for Phil, WRGB's Greg Floyd for Nina) there as well.

If Phil did replace Ernie, knowing the history, it might be lowkey hilarious.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well Stefan Holt is leaving WNBC. Wonder if Phil would consider it. Although I think it's past time for David Ushery to get a promotion, maybe David could get 5:00 & 11:00 PM and Phil could do 11:00 AM & 4:00 PM

Might depend on if there's no love lost between him and NBC following the end of his time at NBC Boston and we'll never really know. I know he adores New York and obviously would likely choose WABC if given the choice, so I don't know exactly if WNBC is for Phil at all. Plus, as you mentioned, WNBC has other talent, like David and Adam, to potentially set up for promotion opportunities on weekdays.

7 minutes ago, JustinH said:

Well Stefan Holt is leaving WNBC. Wonder if Phil would consider it. Although I think it's past time for David Ushery to get a promotion, maybe David could get 5:00 & 11:00 PM and Phil could do 11:00 AM & 4:00 PM

Interesting...Everyone thinking that Phil might return to WABC but I wonder if he left NBC10 Boston in part because NBC knew Stefan would be leaving? However I agree that while Phil would be a very good fit at 11pm, there's no reason the 11pm slot shouldn't go to David Ushery unless of course David doesn't want to work late nights, which I'd understand. 

I dont understand this whole post, thinking Phil Lipoff is highly sought after in NY. Like would he “consider” the job at wnbc? He was dumped by NBC is Boston. If he was so valuable to the company, they would have kept him. No disrespect to the man. 

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

I dont understand this whole post, thinking Phil Lipoff is highly sought after in NY. Like would he “consider” the job at wnbc? He was dumped by NBC is Boston. If he was so valuable to the company, they would have kept him. No disrespect to the man. 

What's not to understand? He is a well liked anchor who has hinted he might like to return to NY.  Was he "dumped?" I have not seen anyone say whether or not he was let go or left on his own. Since WNBC has an opening at 11pm, maybe he would consider it if David Ushery didn't want it and  he was looking to return to NY and stay in the NBC family. Or maybe all of that is wrong. Just fun speculation, that's all. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, newsman123 said:

Guess he wasn’t “dumped” and did “consider” working at WNBC 😂😂😂

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2020 at 3:29 PM, RealNews18 said:

Guess he wasn’t “dumped” and did “consider” working at WNBC 😂😂😂

Yes, but he's come back as a weekend reporter, not an anchor. And there is still a weekend anchor spot open. I do not understand that at all.

Archived