Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Newsjunkie24

CNBC may go conservative in prime-time

Recommended Posts

There are rumors out that CNBC might go conservative in the prime-time hours. They already do a good job with Shark Tank Reruns and the Profit is a very popular show on the channel. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Fox Business is already popular with conservative business people. CNBC already has a few conservative anchors/reporters including Joe Kernen and Rick Santelli. I'm worried this will cause some people to not watch CNBC'S sister network, MSNBC, and even outright boycott NBCUniversal. This is an extremly risky move, IMO. TVNewser reported this earlier today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bad idea.  The last thing we need is another partisan soapbox taking up air time.  While it may be an attempt to balance out MSNBC, it's way too late to try and rectify that.

 

And if it means the end of American Greed, I'm really going to be pissed.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Bad idea.  The last thing we need is another partisan soapbox taking up air time.  While it may be an attempt to balance out MSNBC, it's way too late to try and rectify that.

 

And if it means the end of American Greed, I'm really going to be pissed.

 

Yeah, American Greed is also very popular. It's been on CNBC for years it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is nothing new, CNBC has leaned conservative for a long time. 

I Can name 2 reporters off the top who are conservative:

  • Rick Santelli
  • Phil LeBeau

In 1993 Roger Ailes,  became the executive VP of CNBC before jumping over to FOX NEWS CHANNEL in late 1996, hence another reason it leans to the right unlike the rest of NBC NEWS & MSNBC.   So it wouldn't be so bad to see that in primetime.

 

Edited by DENDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew Rick Santelli was very conservative, but had no idea Phil LeBeau was Phil's the automotive/arline expert for the network, and I have never noticed his politics on the air. I knew Roger used to be there before joining FOX. I don't think CNBC is nearly as conservative as FOX Business is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like NBC trying to continue to make Universal Kids a thing with the dregs of kid's television, if it hasn't happened for CNBC for 30 years, it isn't going to happen now. People watch only the business day and later on, for Shark Tank repeats and the Jay Leno Contractual Obligation Hour.

 

Why don't they just merge what they show on CNBC World at that timeslot and call it done? Conservatives are over-served by AM radio, the web and several cable networks and there's eventually going to be a bust cycle for talk programming in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CNBC already runs the European version of Street Signs at 4 in the morning, so why not just run the international business shows from 7 or 8 at night to 4 in the morning?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Jay Leno Contractual Obligation Hour.

😆😆😆😆

 

Thank you Jeff Zucker for that bungle-job that put him back on the Tonight Show for another 4 years, that and that other show that fired people....

 

But it just goes to show you what the cycle of executives was between the networks, how Roger Ailes cut his teeth at CNBC and America's Talking, which made way for MSNBC and his move to Fox News.   And how Jeff Zucker failed upwards at NBCUniversal and has been tanking CNN for almost 6 years now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

CNBC already runs the European version of Street Signs at 4 in the morning, so why not just run the international business shows from 7 or 8 at night to 4 in the morning?

CNBC doesn't have the rights to show Shark Tank in Canada so, for the most part we get a hybrid version of CNBC/CNBC World.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I get the whole balance out MSNBC idea but there are too many hyper partisan opinions out right now. CNBC should just stick to business news. 

 

Hypothetically if they did run with that idea, I would rather see a scenario such as a conservative like Ben Shapiro 8, a liberal like Rachel Maddow at 9, and a moderate/independent at 10 play out. This as opposed to MSNBC simply skewing liberal and CNBC conservative. 

Edited by iron_lion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the entire "extended basic" lineup of channels we've come to know have all morphed from their intended niches into a feast or famine of lowest-common-denominator content.

 

Some more than others (like Court TV morphing into truTV) and whatever the heck Viacom did to VH1 and MTV.  At least CNBC sticks to their roots during business hours.

 

If they really wanted to go hardcore, simply combine the business programming from both sides of the globe, since CNBC World is reruns during the day in our neck of the woods, the markets are open while we're all asleep.

 

It's going to take a lot for the "news" networks to ever shift their focus.  Fox News threw down the gauntlet against the "liberal" media, and when it became apparent through the strong opinions of their hosts, MSNBC acted accordingly and went in the other direction.  CNN on the other hand, went off the deep end when some NBC reject who almost drove them into the ground took the helm, and all we heard about were lost planes and his BFF who used to host a show that "fired" people.

 

As for moderating, I don't think the networks are coming closer to the center, there are fringes that are going even further in opposite directions like OAN and TYT.   Not even a global pandemic, or solid facts will bring us together at this point. 

 

It's a start to try and do a straight newscast, but it's an uphill battle the way things are going and headed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be a challenge, but I agree that this is a great start. I don't blame networks trying to launch unbiased newscasts in times like this. I hope this works out for CNBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing I want networks to consider is more bias propaganda. There should be less, not more. We got enough mediums lying around for stuff like that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Of course, the entire "extended basic" lineup of channels we've come to know have all morphed from their intended niches into a feast or famine of lowest-common-denominator content.

 

Some more than others (like Court TV morphing into truTV) and whatever the heck Viacom did to VH1 and MTV.  At least CNBC sticks to their roots during business hours.

 

If they really wanted to go hardcore, simply combine the business programming from both sides of the globe, since CNBC World is reruns during the day in our neck of the woods, the markets are open while we're all asleep.

 

It's going to take a lot for the "news" networks to ever shift their focus.  Fox News threw down the gauntlet against the "liberal" media, and when it became apparent through the strong opinions of their hosts, MSNBC acted accordingly and went in the other direction.  CNN on the other hand, went off the deep end when some NBC reject who almost drove them into the ground took the helm, and all we heard about were lost planes and his BFF who used to host a show that "fired" people.

 

As for moderating, I don't think the networks are coming closer to the center, there are fringes that are going even further in opposite directions like OAN and TYT.   Not even a global pandemic, or solid facts will bring us together at this point. 

 

It's a start to try and do a straight newscast, but it's an uphill battle the way things are going and headed.

 

Honestly, CNN had problems even before Zucker came in. He just brought the sideshow with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, channel2 said:

 

Honestly, CNN had problems even before Zucker came in. He just brought the sideshow with him.

 

CNN was in 3rd place before Zucker came along, but it's been dropping even more in the ratings since he came along. Their ratings have increased during the pandemic and the George Floyd protests, but have remained mostly flat these past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IDK when exactly the CNN decline began, but I recall it being good up until a bit past the 08 election.

 

I like that CNBC sticks to its niche, in contrast to say MTV. Cable television has become awfully generic with every channel airing sitcom/crime show reruns, celebrity reality shows, and scripted series. 

 

As someone earlier suggested, it would be cool to have them simulcast their Global Market content from Asia, Europe, Australia as they do with CNBC world.

Edited by iron_lion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

IDK when exactly the CNN decline began, but I recall it being good up until a bit past the 08 election.

 

I like that CNBC sticks to its niche, in contrast to say MTV. Cable television has become awfully generic with every channel airing sitcom/crime show reruns, celebrity reality shows, and scripted series. 

 

I too like that CNBC has had the same formula for years. I also like that CNBC has had much of the same staff for years too, compared to CNN or MSNBC or even FOX News. All three had a different on-air presentation and  different on-air staff 15 years ago, compared to today. CNBC has had the same announcer for years and has not changed even one bit of their logo for over 20 years now. I know some will say CNBC declined when Mark Haines passed away 9 years ago, but I think he was near retirement anyway. I remember when they used to run business documentaries at night as opposed to more traditional reality programming.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

 

CNN was in 3rd place before Zucker came along, but it's been dropping even more in the ratings since he came along. Their ratings have increased during the pandemic and the George Floyd protests, but have remained mostly flat these past few years.

Going back in time, it seems that Fox News overtook them with their "news coverage" in the evening, and when MSNBC started countering them, they began to drive CNN down even further.

 

The decline started in the late 90s as CNN kept up with the time and began shedding veteran talent (and got sold to Time Warner from Turner), and when Larry King Live morphed into Piers Morgan, and whatever replaced that....

 

On the HLN side, they began "jukeboxing" their wheeled content, then the quarter-screened mess of 2001, and slowly but surely began killing off their news coverage for prime time shows, and when that all went away, they're down to a morning newscast and the rest of the schedule filled with informative murder porn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

 

 

On the HLN side, they began "jukeboxing" their wheeled content, then the quarter-screened mess of 2001, and slowly but surely began killing off their news coverage for prime time shows, and when that all went away, they're down to a morning newscast and the rest of the schedule filled with informative murder porn...

Sometimes I forget HLN is still on the air. If CNN insists on keeping two channels, I'd rather see CNN America on one and CNN International on the other.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Sometimes I forget HLN is still on the air. If CNN insists on keeping two channels, I'd rather see CNN America on one and CNN International on the other.

What's left of HLN is done in CNN Center, and since that place is going up for sale, HLN may be completely going away or going to 24/7 automated murder porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote is for murder porn. I'm not really into it, but it does get higher numbers than the Express. Plus their revival of Forensic Files got renewed for 2 more seasons. With that, it's obvious they're going to stick with it, at least until their next identity crisis. 

 

What I want to see is CNN launching a streaming news channel a la CBSN. I mean, CBS literally copied HLN's original format; they could definitely take it back. They could even put Robin Meade and Mike Galanos and whoever's left from HLN on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, froyo49 said:

My vote is for murder porn. I'm not really into it, but it does get higher numbers than the Express. Plus their revival of Forensic Files got renewed for 2 more seasons. With that, it's obvious they're going to stick with it, at least until their next identity crisis. 

 

What I want to see is CNN launching a streaming news channel a la CBSN. I mean, CBS literally copied HLN's original format; they could definitely take it back. They could even put Robin Meade and Mike Galanos and whoever's left from HLN on it. 

The real irony is, that HLN is a lot like Court TV (the new one relaunched by Katz/Scripps, with the non-court shows and murder porn), while the OLD Court TV morphed into whatever the hell truTV is....

 

I think CNN could be cast off by AT&T eventually (since that's another hot mess) and merge with either ABC or CBS news.  Once Zucker leaves, they may be forced into that.

 

Back to CNBC, at least their primetime programming deals with money and stuff.  I mentioned it above...American Greed better not be cancelled!!!

 

How much longer is Jay Leno under contract (or how many more years does he have to burn off?😆😆)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ma Bell seems to consider CNN a crown jewel, at least for now...

 

Then again, Time Warner's treasure trove of intellectual property was probably a stronger motivator for AT&T to make the deal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Can see AT&T shutting down CNN in the next few years honestly.  Hell--the Atlanta facilities are up for sale, AT&T doesn't really seem to want to be in the news business anyway.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DENDude said:

I Can see AT&T shutting down CNN in the next few years honestly.  Hell--the Atlanta facilities are up for sale, AT&T doesn't really seem to want to be in the news business anyway.

Yeah...that's not gonna happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.