Protest/Riot coverage in your market

tyrannical bastard

My cousin told me the Cincinnati stations had wall-to-wall coverage three nights straight. I didn't watch Friday night, but I didn't see anything on the Columbus stations on Saturday night or Sunday. That could mean the riots weren't bad in Columbus. But then again, Columbus has a tendency to keep things close to the vest so I also wouldn't be surprised if the media was told to stand down so they wouldn't throw more fuel on the fire. That seems to be the Columbus way of doing things.

6 hours ago, TheRob said:

Video of the KSHB SUV suspects

They burnt that crap down hard. High unlikely they get caught cause there were thousands there. Probably what’ll happen everyone in that area they can identify will get questioned. But it’s hard to see there face due to the bright light of that other car. I bet Scripps KSHB parents may sue the city and there get some money off it, or perhaps the City of Kansas City will settle it.

What is there to sue about? KMBC also had their car wrecked (but not burned). KSHB isn't even a mile away from where these protests were happening; I don't understand why some of their reporters couldn't just walk. I understand if they had a lot of heavy equipment to carry for a more established position (up top and safe), but general field crews on foot?. Additionally, it really isn't smart for any TV station to be driving a marked car where these events are happening, much less park it near the heart of the activity.

The protests have flared up again in Atlanta, now with protesters setting fire to the Wendy's that was the site of Rayshard Brooks being shot dead by police last night.

Apparently WSB has been in non-stop coverage mode again, and what I thought was a signal glitch was in fact WSB blurring the image horizontally and cutting the audio on purpose to not show certain things...likely language or offensive imagery live on air. 

Have any other stations had to resort to this? 

Due to the time of day and situation, it's hard to control and even if an expletive aired, it would be considered "fleeting" and well outside safe-harbor guidelines.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

The protests have flared up again in Atlanta, now with protesters setting fire to the Wendy's that was the site of Rayshard Brooks being shot dead by police last night.

Apparently WSB has been in non-stop coverage mode again, and what I thought was a signal glitch was in fact WSB blurring the image horizontally and cutting the audio on purpose to not show certain things...likely language or offensive imagery live on air. 

Have any other stations had to resort to this? 

Due to the time of day and situation, it's hard to control and even if an expletive aired, it would be considered "fleeting" and well outside safe-harbor guidelines.

Meanwhile, Jeff Hullinger was on the air for WXIA also on Saturday until 3:00 am! 

As for any offensive material...I would assume they, WAGA, and WGCL either turn the camera away or cut to other footage.

May 29, the first night that Detroit saw protests, when it ended up erupting into the first riot in the city since 1990 (as early as a few hours before sunset when police car windows were being shattered), I was very impressed with WJBK's coverage. They stayed on well past their 11 PM newscast, and in fact, well past midnight. WDIV only covered the riot starting at 11:30 PM and decided to stop coverage at midnight. WXYZ never even bothered covering it. The rioting continued the following two nights, although to a lessening extent, and on May 30, past-11 PM news coverage was shorter, and was non-existent on May 31 despite Lafayette Coney Island in downtown losing one of their doors to the riot that night.

• 1 month later...

I will say, here in San Diego, KNSD has had some excellent coverage. Even though protests have died down, they are still keeping the topic going with various reports and interviews and consistently following up (like with the Amaurie Johnson arrest in La Mesa). They've been doing the same with COVID coverage. Unfortunately, I can't compare their coverage with the other San Diego stations because I just haven't been watching them. But I've been impressed. Their newscast really seemed to improve since everything has been going on.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, Megatron81 said:

Yup, protest have died down across the country maybe even in Portland that the feds have left the city a couple of days ago which I hope will stop and be peaceful for now on.

Protests were going strong before the feds came in, and are still going on after they left. Slightly smaller though and now in a different part of the city the past few nights.

(Unrelated, but the story at 1:40 is kinda interesting/funny, especially the "confrontation" at the end.)

Following this incident in Chicago on Sunday (https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/unrest-erupts-after-man-shot-by-police-in-chicagos-englewood-neighborhood/2319518/), overnight protests that reportedly began in Englewood then eventually erupted into looting. (per Anita/FOX 32) --- not a verified correlation but just speculation of the correlation at this point

Developing coverage since 4AM-ish (potentially before?) of looting and unrest on and around Michigan Ave:

- Judy Wang with WGN (w/ Bronagh Tumulty in SkyCam 9), but seemingly continued with some semblance of regular newscast as well at first

Call with Pastor Donovan Price

Marcus and Sarah anchoring

image.thumb.png.8da2f31ae47547f0368ce92a62375289.png

- Vi Nguyen with CBS 2 (w/ Yasmeen Hassan in studio)

Ryan and Audrina anchoring 

image.thumb.png.0a16072994b44c7014fbca595b11353c.png

- Diane Pathieu + Liz Nagy + Jessica D'Onofrio with ABC 7

Notably, Jessica said that her sources/eyewitnesses? have concluded the looting today is overall, worse than in May/June and she also went one-by-one along stores to assess the damage.

Her live shots also covered the most looting and unrest up-close between the three reporters early on.

Terrell and Tanja anchoring non-stop so far with no breaks.

image.thumb.png.ed6efe1211071e73060575c20081c0e4.png

- Brittany Garzillo with FOX 32

Anita and Terrence anchoring

image.thumb.png.ff8d3caac4a45ee3ed5e9d6e4cb2fb2f.png

- Susan Carlson with NBC 5 streetside before she came into studio by 5:30 after getting too close to gunshots

Also Mike Lorber in Sky 5 and Mary Ann Ahern via phone -- her calling in also focused on "how could the police not have anticipated the unrest?"

Lisa Chavarria streetside after 5:30

Call with Alderman George Cardenas. 

Alex and Lauren anchoring

image.thumb.png.8f280934c0190717d6bcc0f1d8362f03.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived