WREG Getting A New Set?

TennTV1983

It appears that WREG in Memphis is preparing to get a new set in the coming weeks, with the current weather center and news desk both being moved to temporary locations as of this weekend.

At this time, we do not know to what extent the studio renovations are being done, but according to Chief Meteorologist Tim Simpson via his Facebook page, the work has been going on behind the scenes for some time.

It'll be interesting to see what the finished product looks like when you consider WREG has been in the same newsroom studio setup for roughly 23 years with some updates done along the way. 

• 1 month later...

This tweet from Jim Jaggers says WREG is getting a "deep cleaning" - doesn't specifically say a new set, but sure looks like the studio is being torn apart which would imply a new set would be coming.

Considering all of the demo work that is still being done, it likely won't be until some time in the early Fall before we see them broadcasting from Studio A once again. The place is massive, though I also have to wonder if, as a result of this work, Nexstar is also considering doing newscasts for WJKT in addition to WREG in the future. That had always been speculated ever since the station got separated from WATN/WLMT post-Tribune merger.

4 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

How much do you wanna bet that as part of the refresh, they'll be getting this variation of the Nexstar CBS package?

It's possible, though I would much rather see WREG use the KOIN package instead (like what WJHL currently uses).

6 hours ago, I’m a news junkie..so what said:

Do you think WATN will get a new set in the future?

Yes, but it'll be a while before that happens.

They still haven't fully been integrated into TEGNA graphics-wise.

Update: Per Corie Ventura this morning, the entirety of Studio A has been gutted. Stairs and all. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

Update on WREG they are almost done with their new Set in Studio A. Debut is coming soon and possibly according to my sources they maybe rebranding.

Are they going to dump News Channel 3 branding?  I hope not. WREG & WHBQ hands down the best in the market. WMC has sunken and WATN- TEGNA say no more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 6:09 PM, TennTV1983 said:

I also have to wonder if, as a result of this work, Nexstar is also considering doing newscasts for WJKT in addition to WREG in the future. That had always been speculated ever since the station got separated from WATN/WLMT post-Tribune merger.

Not sure when it started, but it appears WJKT is now airing newscasts at 6AM, 5PM, and 10PM. I'd assume they're just simulcasts but TV Passport has them titled as Fox 16 News; curious if the graphics are any different. They even have a new logo to match WREG: https://facebook.com/FOX16Jackson/photos/a.1529135443988363/2780424422192786/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, ScottSchell said:

Does anyone have an update on how the set is coming along?

Nothing official but hints that it's pretty close and would certainly think highly possible it debuts in time for November sweeps/Election Night. Few graphics placeholders have popped up that are using the CBS Nexstar theme, unsurprisingly I would say.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:24 PM, Sendir said:

E88BA047-CF3F-4A97-8C09-C395CC7BA23E.jpeg

CBS Nexstar Package. I'm not surprised.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, Jterry said:

Nothing official but hints that it's pretty close and would certainly think highly possible it debuts in time for November sweeps/Election Night. Few graphics placeholders have popped up that are using the CBS Nexstar theme, unsurprisingly I would say.

Yep you're right. The set will come right along with it.

Archived