Protest/Riot Coverage in Los Angeles

CalItalian2

CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 went back to regular programming at 7 pm. I don't understand why. The looting is increasing. ABC 7 is on KDOC 56 from 7-8 pm, though, with their regularly scheduled live newscast. KTLA, KCAL and KTTV continuing live coverage after 7 pm. 

CG was around for the 1992 LA Riots as well. She's the real deal. I believe she was gone for several months, maybe even over a year. Not sure why, but glad she is back. Definitely an ace in KTTVs back pocket.

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Christina Gonzalez on Fox 11 just had the most amazing live shot I've seen in years. ALL LIVE. Black store owners in Van Nuys trying to protect their property and trying to stop looters from breaking into a neighboring business, flagging down approaching police that turned around but then the black store owners get handcuffed and Christina Gonzalez tries to sort out the chaos with LAPD. And it's all chaos in the highest order. I hope it gets posted online. One incredible riveting live shot.

That said, everyone has been on for hours non-stop and commercial free (except KTLA). CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 did go to network news at 6:30 PM. CBS 2 and KCAL 9 are simulcasting otherwise and local coverage is continuing on KCAL 9 at 6:30 PM (along with KTLA and KTTV).

KCAL has also been running commercials.

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Christina Gonzalez on Fox 11 just had the most amazing live shot I've seen in years. ALL LIVE. Black store owners in Van Nuys trying to protect their property and trying to stop looters from breaking into a neighboring business, flagging down approaching police that turned around but then the black store owners get handcuffed and Christina Gonzalez tries to sort out the chaos with LAPD. And it's all chaos in the highest order. I hope it gets posted online. One incredible riveting live shot.

That said, everyone has been on for hours non-stop and commercial free (except KTLA). CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 did go to network news at 6:30 PM. CBS 2 and KCAL 9 are simulcasting otherwise and local coverage is continuing on KCAL 9 at 6:30 PM (along with KTLA and KTTV).

Video for context.

Fox 11, KTLA 5 and KCAL 9 are the only three with coverage during prime time. KTLA dropping CW programming and Fox 11 obviously Fox network programming. 

Fox 11 is using 3 (three) choppers. They are cutting back and forth to the best shots from at least 2 choppers in the same police chase (4 so far tonight).

49 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

Video for context.

There's a lot more to that video. They are going to rerun it on Fox 11 tonight. They started to a bit ago but had to cut to a police chase fast. 

Fox 11 just ran a live interview with one of the women from Christina Gonzalez live shot from earlier.  Amazing talk with a community member who was trying to help a longtime storekeeper and friend and got caught up in being handcuffed by the LAPD. They reran an edited version of the liveshot just prior, too.

Fox 11 is running away with this coverage, imho. Others are good, professional but Fox 11 is shining about the rest. Improved 1000%. I still have my criticisms but much, much improved and showing they are part of the community.

One thing I have noticed is Fox 11 is streaming all their coverage on Facebook but other L.A. stations aren't. Just once in a while. I am surprised by that. 

Archived