CBS News Viability??

FiveNews

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

They probably mean that ABC & NBC shows both their morning and evening news are more fast pace stories both morning & evening shows.

upset oprah winfrey GIF

CBS News hasn't evolved but you have to admit that CTM is about news.

Can't admit something I already know and agree with.

I just can't watch any CBS news period.

That's nice.

If you watch NBC & ABC both stories seem to air at the same time and the pacing is fast.  CBS takes it time in stories but it just seems like CBS is stuck as if Edward Murrow doing the news. CBS is like a bland cup of coffee while NBC & ABC are a cup of espresso & cappuccino.  Then you have these cable outlets that are iced lattes.

Oh no, I do watch all of them; I'm sorry you seem to think I watch only CBS and don't know or notice literally anything else. But believe it or not, some people would rather have the bland coffee than the espresso or iced latte. Especially when you (amusingly) just said before this that you can't watch GMA or Today (or WNT for that matter) for what they are right now.

I just wanted iron_lion to further explain what he meant in their post. But thanks a bunch for responding. 

41 minutes ago, Metrodonmartin said:

Schieffer wasn’t in the running to be Cronkite’s successor. It was Roger Mudd.  

True, but Schieffer was the weekend anchor. Either he or Mudd would have been a better choice.

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

ABC has the title World News Tonight and there nothing about World News unless I watch a clip from the 90s on YouTube. 

Or any one of the many editions from user btm0815ma from the late-70s to early/mid-80s there, either!

Im fine with Dan Rather as Cronkie's successor. He had a straightforward delivery and that commanding anchor presence. His fault was shooting himself in the foot with his own political agendas.

What CBS This Morning lacks is GMA and Today's brand recognition, and a good on-air look ( in all fairness Today and GMA's graphics aren't all that either).

In CBS's defense, I like their story choice over NBC & ABC. They take their time compared to the ADHD paced, flashy graphics presentation on NBC and ABC. ABC News has gone full tabloid, accompanied by endless Disney promotion. NBC is like the middle ground between the two, but Nightly News, Meet the Press, and Today, along with MSNBC are all shadows of their former self quality wise. CBS News has potential but they need to fix their on air look, develop better talent, and find a stable lead anchor. Perhaps a focus on global hard-news could help them differentiate themselves in the evening from NBC and ABC?

17 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

upset oprah winfrey GIF

Can't admit something I already know and agree with.

That's nice.

Oh no, I do watch all of them; I'm sorry you seem to think I watch only CBS and don't know or notice literally anything else. But believe it or not, some people would rather have the bland coffee than the espresso or iced latte. Especially when you (amusingly) just said before this that you can't watch GMA or Today (or WNT for that matter) for what they are right now.

I just wanted iron_lion to further explain what he meant in their post. But thanks a bunch for responding. 

I was giving you my assessment on the matter.  We all have our own opinions about CBS. Do i watch CBS everyday? NO! Have I actually watched CTM & CBS Evening News, yes, but not everyday.  I rarely watch GMA or Today as well, and when I do it every blue moon. If anything I do watch is cable news and NBC & ABC evening shows.  Now, I don't know what you watch or have watched. Nor am I disrespecting your take on anything. I was just conversing with you on the topic alone.  I hope there isn't a problem, if there's let it be known or whatever it's.

• 2 months later...

Just saw CBS promo for debate coverage on 9-29-2020 during College Football.

Mentioned Nora O'Donnell Gayle King and John Dickerson.

Gayle has not been involved with recent CBS Election coverage.  Part of this may have been during or just after her stay at Oprah Winfrey's estate (aka Santa Barbara bureau) in CA .

Will be interesting to see if everyone is in different studios/homes/etc.

I will say that the CBS debate coverage was particularly underwhelming from the line up to the presentation.

Imagine the boost that someone like Shep Smith or Scott Pelley would give their operations right now.

On top of that, as the news of the president’s COVID-19 diagnosis both ABC and NBC are on with special reports...CBS is staying with James Corden.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I will say that the CBS debate coverage was particularly underwhelming from the line up to the presentation.

Imagine the boost that someone like Shep Smith or Scott Pelley would give their operations right now.

On top of that, as the news of the president’s COVID-19 diagnosis both ABC and NBC are on with special reports...CBS is staying with James Corden.

Scott Pelley had his opportunity and didn’t move the needle much.

Yeah it wasn't so much about a ratings move for me, more focused around having a solid and capable team. I just found the team of Norah, John Dickerson and Gayle King to be the weaker ones on television that night.

But yes, you are right. Scott Pelley was not able to move CBS from the basement but the show was stronger and popular under his leadership. 

Archived