DEVELOPING: CBS Layoffs

NBC 5 Chicago

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6/24/2020: Several producers were laid off from KCBS/KCAL. [source]

FTVLive mentioned his sources also revealed CBSN LA broadcasts would basically be stopped for the time being. This part sucks because the station was basically the only station to almost consistently offer separate live CBSN broadcasts and was even relied upon to the point that all stations and the national feed sometimes broadcast its CBSN newscast during overnight hours on the weekends. IIRC as of this past week, the station had been offering live CBSN newscasts on weekday mornings at 7AM (Jasmine Viel, Hermela Aregawi, etc.) and weekend mornings at 9AM (Tom Wait on Saturdays and Lesley Marin on Sundays). This comes as KPIX stopped their CBSN broadcasts last month as well. WBZ (and KCNC?) was/were the only other station(s) with KCBS/KCAL to have been doing actual separate CBSN newscasts, at least during the weekdays. 

CBSN has really had a long list of execution problems and I feel for the sacked producers and on-air talent the most. Among O&Os, it easily became one of the easiest looping streaming services to access, so it was a great addition. But, to beat a dead horse again on here, for most stations, they didn't even have separate studios/desks to begin with and never integrated CBSN broadcasts much into their operations, so it's always felt so absurdly half-done for something that had landed with much fanfare (when will stations like WCCO, for example, (ever) get separate CBSN space and newscasts?). What's worse is that incomplete CBSNs that force viewers to watch the national feed during the weekends have actually prevented online/mobile viewers from even watching local weekend newscasts, which is truly ironic (for the "always on" tagline they're always using) and honestly, bizarre. Never mind other awkward fiascos, such as WUPA airing WBZ broadcasts. I would hope for better days when CBS will emerge a stronger unit, but I feel we've been down this road many times and always end up disappointed when times get a little rough again, so I can only watch and wait. 

49 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I would hope for better days when CBS will emerge a stronger unit, but I feel we've been down this road many times and always end up disappointed when times get a little rough again, so I can only watch and wait. 

Going back 35 years, CBS has rarely disappointed in their ability to consistently cut fat and lower the bar. The CBSN Local experiment seemed like a potential bright spot, but here we are, and nobody's particularly surprised.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 10:59 AM, dombrown2222 said:

I guess no one at WCBS is gone yet...

Looks like WCBS got spared so far...

But long time WCBS TV Alum and CBS News reporter  Don Dahler was one of the laid off so far. 

Archived