DEVELOPING: CBS Layoffs

NBC 5 Chicago

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Brenda Waters announced her retirement yesterday from KDKA. I wonder if she was given the option or if the timing was a coincidence. 

I'm thinking maybe they offered her a buyout, and she took it, but maybe the timing could be a coincidence. 

Sad to hear about all of these layoffs. Dean Reynolds was one of my favorites. I enjoyed his reports on the CBS Evening News. Both Knoller and McCormick are big losses too. I feel sorry for everyone laid off from the local side of things too. I hope they all get back on their feet soon.

32 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Do non-competes still exist at network levels? Could they end up taking a job at another network or cable news?

I'd like to imagine that, even if they did, they become null and void when your part of mass layoffs. I'm hopeful a lot of the on-air talent will land somewhere that suits them and the community. Maybe Nexstar's News Nation thing is about to get a very CBS-flavored infusion of talent?

I'm also curious to know what the layoffs look like behind the scenes. The unsung heroes of News are those who work in Production and Creative Services, and I'm assuming some of them got the axe, too. It's absolutely horrible, and I hope everyone is able to find a new home or were able to retire comfortably.

54 minutes ago, newscopter7 said:

Would you ever see/have you ever seen something like this go down at ABC? It’s no wonder CBS local stations are largely ratings losers. Now they’re bringing down Group W with them. 

How many of those who were cut from the legacy Westinghouse stations were at those stations in the Group W era?

Not directed to anyone in particular, but a message for all: enough people are losing their jobs. There is zero need to suggest who should be fired. I doubt we're even halfway through the announcements, so many more dismissals are coming, and we'll find out who in due time.

NOBODY should be losing their job.

If there's anyone to blame, it should be Viacom for as usual bringing their corporate idiocy anew to the CBS side of the coin because they keep taking on debt and continuing to operate as if it's February 2005 and that pesky YouTube will be knocked off the web soon.

2 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

Would you ever see/have you ever seen something like this go down at ABC? It’s no wonder CBS local stations are largely ratings losers. Now they’re bringing down Group W with them. 

I don’t want to speculate on something as sensitive as this but I would have to imagine that layoffs are pending for ABC too. Disney announced that they’d have to enact some form of restructuring after having to completely shut down their parks for 2 months. The parent companies for NBC and CBS have already announced plans, so I’d guess ABC will too at some point. This pandemic is touching every single corner of our world and economy. It’s crazy

57 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Why are you still talking? All you're doing is digging a deeper hole for yourself, one from which it will be harder for you to crawl out.

On behalf of other posters and for the sake of advancing the thread, I kindly ask that you please let it go.

51 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Here you go, just can’t let it go. What happened to the previous response being your last? Digging myself in a hole? Yeah ok, whatever. Happy to move on after you are. 

Both of you, stop. The original remark likely didn't come off as intended, and it certainly didn't need to result in such bickering. Just about all the posts on the subject have been hidden, so the matter is dead and settled. That goes for other members putting in their two cents.

End of story.

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Do non-competes still exist at network levels? Could they end up taking a job at another network or cable news?

They likely do exist for key individuals, but given the current environment, very few are hiring. It will likely take months anyway to find work, so having a non-compete would be moot.

1 minute ago, jase said:

They likely do exist for key individuals, but given the current environment, very few are hiring. It will likely take months anyway to find work, so having a non-compete would be moot.

They'd be able to find an anchor or reporting job in a lower market right now (and hit the front of the pack) but that's a huge pay decrease.

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

They'd be able to find an anchor or reporting job in a lower market right now (and hit the front of the pack) but that's a huge pay decrease.

Doubtful. There’s too much economic uncertainty (thus the mass layoffs across all industries) to hire anyone unless absolutely necessary. This is just the beginning of a tough road ahead for many.

3 hours ago, Newscenter5WCVB said:

Add morning anchor Chris McKinnon from WBZ to the list. 

And FTVLive said something about another anchor at WBZ being let go. He doesn't know who it is though. 

9 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

How many of those who were cut from the legacy Westinghouse stations were at those stations in the Group W era?

Probably few of any. I was thinking less in terms of actual talent, rather on how the stations are run. 

It’s been said ABC and NBC won’t be without their own cuts. When/if it happens, I doubt it’s handled in the same maladroit manner. ABC (and I believe Group W, to a lesser extent in its heyday) understood viewers’ connection to the people they see on screen. 

45 minutes ago, SFTV said:

KBCW is airing an episode of Friends instead of CBSN Bay Area.

However online is streaming a repeat of the 7pm News 

Rich Lieberman is reporting they canned CBSN Bay Area

https://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2020/05/breaking-blowout-wednesday-at-cbsn-bay.html?m=1

Sounds like the CBSN experiment might not be going as well as they hoped.

Archived