KTTV - Fox 11 News Thread

Roadrunner

4 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

At one point, Channel 13 was the broadcast home of the L.A. Marathon, televised Clippers basketball and had its own news department, with nightly news broadcasts.

Once the news department was shuttered, it seems like the station started to fall apart. 

Nowadays, other than some syndicated courtroom shows and daytime talk show programming, the station resembles KDOC out of Orange County.

And KDOC is no more, having been sold last summer to Tri-State Christian Television.

The downfall of KCOP, WWOR-TV and others is all Fox's fault. Maybe it would have been inevitable, but I truly think the former Chris-Craft UPN stations would have been better off had someone else other than Fox bought them.

• Like 2
  • Empathetic 1

With the rebranding of KCOP to FOX 11 PLUS, what does it actually mean for the station?  They should do something within the next couple of weeks since FOX does have the super bowl this year, and that would help jumpstart whatever they're deciding to do with KCOP.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but it appears that meteorologist, Rick Dickert, is no longer employed with FOX 11 after serving 30+ years. According to his Linkedin profile, May was his last month with the station and has been removed from the station's website. It also appears that reporters Travis Rice and Jessica Oh are no longer with the station and are also removed from the on-air personalities page. Neither of them has publicly addressed their departure from FOX 11. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Elex Michaelson and Christine Devine just announced on the News at 5 that on Monday, FOX 11 will start two new shows, GDLA Plus on FOX 11 Plus (KCOP) at 11am and “Good Nite LA” at 11pm with 6pm anchor Marla Tellez. Those shows will have a different approach to the news of the day compared to the regular newscasts. Seems like they are trying to compete with the other stations in those timeslots.

Edited by Encore Emp
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:17 PM, JTT said:

I heard something happened to Rick Dickert?  I hope he's OK.

When did KTTV and KCOP management decide that they wanted bring back news to KCOP?

To the latter question- FOX TV stations management have issued a directive to expand news at the O&O stations. I have included a link for Good Nite LA below. Not being negative, just realistic...I wonder how long GNLA will last before it transitions into FOX 11 News at 11. Does anyone remember the ill fated Studio11LA with Laura Diaz and Christine Devine? That is now FOX 11 News at 5pm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortuntately, this is a full circle moment for Susan. She has covered stolen vehicle pursuits and became a victim. Looks like her car will be ok. It sounds like she wasn't on duty, but was attending an event. I think this might be more common as reporters and photogs don't always ride together...not always common practice in LA.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:57 PM, FiveNews said:

To the latter question- FOX TV stations management have issued a directive to expand news at the O&O stations. 

Absolutely loving the dark lighting and neon contrast on the set. It fits the vibe of late night news. Though I'm not one for the infinite expansion of local news, I appreciate that Fox O&O stations try to get creative with their formatting.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:21 PM, JTT said:

I wonder if the stations will add a weekend morning newscast?

Must be, because I was wondering how much more can Fox stations expand, unless they're aiming for KTLA level output.

Edited by MediaZone4K

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the post under kcop as te subject, a post said that kcop was just putting news on the air in the afternoons to fill in the time since syndicated programs were having difficulty getting ratings or something.   I would hope that is not the only reason and that the station does want to expand their newscast not only on kttv,  but on kcop.  

In my opinion, the addition of weekend morning newscast on either or both kttv and kcop would be the next logical step if they are expanding their newscasts.   

31 minutes ago, JTT said:

Based on the post under kcop as te subject, a post said that kcop was just putting news on the air in the afternoons to fill in the time since syndicated programs were having difficulty getting ratings or something.   I would hope that is not the only reason and that the station does want to expand their newscast not only on kttv,  but on kcop.  

In my opinion, the addition of weekend morning newscast on either or both kttv and kcop would be the next logical step if they are expanding their newscasts.   

What about WNYW they produce less hours of news compared to WPIX their CW competitor, they also don’t air or simulcast news on WWOR. There in the same boat as KTTV. The only difference is NY doesn’t do an 11pm show to compete against it CW competitor and FOX is #1 over CW in NYC. 

I was under the assumption that kttv/kcop were expanding their newscast not necessarily to just fill the time during the weekdays because syndicated programs were not doing well.  That is why I thought they would put more newscast especially on the weekends on kcop, since the weekdays seemed to be filled with news already.  I was not specifically sayjng they were going to try to compete with other stations, since it seems like they have difficulty doing that currently with the newscast on kttv.