KTTV - Fox 11 News Thread

Roadrunner

Agree. Something had to have happened behind the scenes at KTLA. "Scooch" (Pascucci) is a hell of a reporter. Could cover all of the news and lighter fare on the Morning News and even did GA reporting on the midday shows as well. I'd assume Lauren Lyster or Sandra Mitchell would replace Courtney on the weekend news. Was never a Friel fan, so I don't see her leaving as a big loss.

• Like 1

Totally agreed, Friel leaving isn’t a loss at all.  At the risk of becoming too KTLA focused on this specific thread, I’d imagine Lauren Lyster, who IMO is fantastic both as a reporter and anchor, wouldn’t want to work weekend nights either because as I’m nearly certain her husband doesn’t work weekend nights at CBS. 

Quick question still kinda shadow to the business. But I’m noticing Elex (5pm, 6pm, 10pm, Marla (when she had a noon newscast) of there respective newscast would introduce themselves or say their first before there co-anchors would say there names and it’s daily they don’t the co-anchor the next day introduce themselves or should I say it they don’t  alternate. It’s kinda something I’ve noticed about the market in General other markets both anchor will introduce themselves first one day the other the next day.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, MD TV said:

KCOP is now billing themselves as FOX 11 Plus.

I wonder whether this means they'll start putting newscasts over there when they're pre-empted by network programming. Right now, they'll cancel newscasts during Thursday Night Football instead of moving them over to the second station, which is what most of the other O&Os do.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:37 AM, MD TV said:

KCOP is now billing themselves as FOX 11 Plus.

On DirecTV, it still shows "My Network TV" for KCOP on my end, but I did notice the "FOX 11 Plus" logo on the bottom of the screen when I turned to Channel 13 this evening.

In many ways, Channel 13 basically has been Fox 11 Plus for a long time now.

Fox 11 announced that Extra hosts Jennifer Lahmers and Melvin Robert will join the morning program Good Day L.A.

The changes will be in effect starting February, as the ratings period begins.

• 4-6am - Brooke Taylor & Bob DeCastro
  • 6-9am - Jennifer Lahmers & Melvin Robert
  • 9-11am - Araksya Karapetyan & Sandra Endo

Araksya, Bob, Brooke, Jennifer & Sandra "will contribute enterprise news content throughout all seven hours" of the show. And Melvin and Jennifer will keep their roles on the syndicated newsmagazine.

Almost forgot to mention that Lahmers is no stranger to the Fox family, as she spent several years as an anchor and reporter at Fox 5 in New York.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, CraigViewer said:

In many ways, Channel 13 basically has been Fox 11 Plus for a long time now.

And with that, Fox has finally found a way to finally deal with their worst case of triskaidekaphobia. Though the decline of KCOP from being a proper competitor to KTTV, and now just being both a glorified .2 and ATSC3 lighthouse is one of the saddest things to happen to a TV station.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Fox 11 announced that Extra hosts Jennifer Lahmers and Melvin Robert will join the morning program Good Day L.A.

Araksya, Bob, Brooke, Jennifer & Sandra "will contribute enterprise news content throughout all seven hours" of the show. And Melvin and Jennifer will keep their roles on the syndicated newsmagazine.

Almost forgot to mention that Lahmers is no stranger to the Fox family, as she spent several years as an anchor and reporter at Fox 5 in New York.

I am curious to see how this arrangement will work out. Extra (ET/Access) have to tape early in order to feed early to east coast affilliates. I don't see Jenn and Melvin hanging around in the event of breaking news. They will do their 6-9 slot and be gone by 10am. Not knocking their additional side hustles, but seems like this can't be a sustainable way forward for KTTV.

I think KTTV should have placed weekend refugee from KTLA Christina Pascucci on weekdays. She has the following, has the news chops and knows the area. USC graduate, raised in LA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I am curious to see how this arrangement will work out. Extra (ET/Access) have to tape early in order to feed early to east coast affilliates. I don't see Jenn and Melvin hanging around in the event of breaking news. They will do their 6-9 slot and be gone by 10am. Not knocking their additional side hustles, but seems like this can't be a sustainable way forward for KTTV.

I think KTTV should have placed weekend refugee from KTLA Christina Pascucci on weekdays. She has the following, has the news chops and knows the area. USC graduate, raised in LA.

Yeah when it 3pm on the east, 12 PST it possibly manageable if they share a building.

5 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Actually, Billy Bush is the weekday host of "Extra," so it should have very little to no bearing with regard to Jenn and Melvin's schedule at FOX11 during the work week.

In addition to weekend co-anchor, Pascucci serves as a reporter on "Good Day L.A.  She technically has a greater profile now than she had on KTLA, which there were some long stints when I didn't see her on Channel 5.  Given her following, FOX11 would be wise to use her in prime spots in the future.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

"Good Day L.A" has not been the same since the days of Steve, Jillian and Dorothy co-hosting the program.  During their tenure, it was competitive with the "KTLA Morning News" from time to time.   

It will be interesting to see what Jennifer and Melvin will be like on "Good Day L.A."

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Wow isn't moving anchors to the 9 am the kiss of death by Fox? Happened to Maria Sansone, Rita, and the chick from Miami.

I dont like them sidelining Araksya she's the last remaining from the good years.  Shouldve brough in Pascucci. 

25 minutes ago, CraigViewer said:

"Good Day L.A" has not been the same since the days of Steve, Jillian and Dorothy co-hosting the program.  During their tenure, it was competitive with the "KTLA Morning News" from time to time.   

It will be interesting to see what Jennifer and Melvin will be like on "Good Day L.A."

And I still miss Steve, Jillian and Dorothy; especially on Good Day Live (Nationally Syndicated Show). IMO, I wish GDL was back.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

And I still miss Steve, Jillian and Dorothy; especially on Good Day Live (Nationally Syndicated Show). IMO, I wish GDL was back.

Yes, "Good Day Live" used to be a great program to watch on weekday mornings too!

Here in Southern California, it was often fascinating to watch the different contrasts between the local (7-9am) and national versions, in which they stayed on set to host live at 9am local time.

Edited by CraigViewer

18 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

And with that, Fox has finally found a way to finally deal with their worst case of triskaidekaphobia. Though the decline of KCOP from being a proper competitor to KTTV, and now just being both a glorified .2 and ATSC3 lighthouse is one of the saddest things to happen to a TV station.

I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I have watched Channel 13 over the past decade or so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I have watched Channel 13 over the past decade or so.

And those occurrences were likely limited to when the Rams and Chargers were scheduled on Fox at the same time and got a KCOP bump (and really who was watching them early on specifically for the Rams or Chargers?). It really is sad how depreciated the 'sixth station' in a market has become just by its schedule or offerings.

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

And those occurrences were likely limited to when the Rams and Chargers were scheduled on Fox at the same time and got a KCOP bump (and really who was watching them early on specifically for the Rams or Chargers?). It really is sad how depreciated the 'sixth station' in a market has become just by its schedule or offerings.

At one point, Channel 13 was the broadcast home of the L.A. Marathon, televised Clippers basketball and had its own news department, with nightly news broadcasts.

Once the news department was shuttered, it seems like the station started to fall apart. 

Nowadays, other than some syndicated courtroom shows and daytime talk show programming, the station resembles KDOC out of Orange County.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Empathetic 1