KTTV - Fox 11 News Thread

Roadrunner

On 10/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, Roadrunner said:

I mentioned this position opening in the WPVI thread because Melissa Magee was leaving to come home to LA (I want to think she is a possible candidate, but it wouldn't make sense for the position to appear just as she's leaving), but I really don't understand why Rick isn't a shoo-in for the position, considering how passionate he is for meteorology and how he's been doing the weekday evenings pretty consistently since Stu came onboard. I get that he might not want it either because of other commitments in his private life, but other than that, nothing suggests he doesn't deserve it. 

Scratch whatever I said here above about Fox 11 not needing five mets, because I clearly didn't pay attention to the fact that they hired the Weather Channel's Liana Brackett, who began in early-September. Her shifts are more sporadic and she's still working with the Weather Channel on the weekends, so I'm not sure if Fox is going to give her a more prominent role. But with the job posting for chief met still up, is there really a need for six mets in the LA area at the station?

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

I buried the lead here, though! They finally got new music!!!

They also got new graphics, including a new bug and new weather graphics for the program. The new bug is fine and adopts the shape of the "Good Day LA" logo while being translucent instead of the solid aqua blue. The weather graphics could use a lot more customization, though; I mean, Arial in some of the fonts? It seems like it could also be just a slight error, but I'm not convinced, because of the awful standardization across all Fox O&Os with their weather graphics. Looks like it could use a lot more work in finesse, but that's just my hot take. 

In terms of the set, that's also been tweaked, with some more stand-up/full-body shots and we also see the talent being together in one shot at a distance sometimes. Michaela now has her own little desk and I think this is great, because it breaks up the hum-drum of the split-screen format Tony/Araksya were using that was caused by the distancing. The show is also, as mentioned, clearly revolving around her. I'm sure they paid her a pretty penny to come here, so this does make sense and I think it's a good move. Hopefully, she can move the needle and we won't see a "Michaela leaves" headline in three years or so. 

I'll edit this post with more detailed findings if I can remember.

-------------

Interview of Michaela by the LA Times about joining Good Day

Edited by Roadrunner

Here's an article I found on the LA Times site discussing Michaela's arrival to KTTV, history at KTLA and challenges GDLA has had since 2017.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-10-19/good-day-la-fox-11-michaela-pereira-ktla-morning-news

Also, if you look at Rita Garcia or Marla Tellez's IG Stories, they show the top story after the open on the new GDLA...which, of course, was the Dodgers advancing to the World Series! Go Blue! IG: @theritagarcia and @marlatellez

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JoseRM303 said:

Vanessa Borge leaving KTTV and LA heading back to Miami and joining WSVN as weekday morning anchor. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/10/31/from-socal-to-soflo

Honestly not surprised here because her role was already small (comparatively speaking) to begin with and now that Michaela's here, she's not really needed anymore. It's unfortunate how she was nixed from WFOR so this is a great homecoming for Vanessa.

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Thoughts and prayers are with Hal and his photographer. Especially the FOX 11 News team.

• 2 months later...

Rita solo anchored the 4am hour and contributed to the show usually at the newsroom's Live Desk the rest of the way until 10am. Tony and Araksya co-anchor from 5-7, Michaela anchors the show from 7-10 with contributions from both Tony and Araksya from various parts of the studio. Seems weird to have an anchor leave a show that is going thru a re-branding during May Sweeps.

• Like 1

It's a shame Rita was essentially pushed out due to her shrinking role, but the writing was on the wall after they tweaked the teams when Michaela came onboard. Especially when Vanessa was reduced to zero after that and then Rita basically held onto the scraps that Vanessa had to begin with. I don't think Rita's exit is really wrongly timed considering sweeps calculations ended approximately when she posted her announcement. But Brooke is the new 'it' girl for GDLA so hopefully we don't see another cycling of anchors in 3 years. I wish Rita well.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

KTTV is in the newsroom this morning. Caught the 5am hour of GDLA while I was in the gym. Not sure if there is a technical issue in the studio since it's fairly new or if there are greater changes coming. They have updated the newsroom in recent years so the backdrop doesn't look too bad.

Edited by FiveNews

5 hours ago, FiveNews said:

KTTV is in the newsroom this morning. Caught the 5am hour of GDLA while I was in the gym. Not sure if there is a technical issue in the studio since it's fairly new or if there are greater changes coming. They have updated the newsroom in recent years so the backdrop doesn't look to bad.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, FiveNews said:

Yup. Agree. FTV reported something last week that KTTV shared that "something big is coming" for May. Has to be their new set.

It could be their new set, but I think it may be the fact that they’re getting a new helicopter. Stu Mundel has been posting on Instagram and Twitter about it. They will still share the chopper with KCBS/KCAL. Gone is the black and white Eurocopter A-Star N29HD. In its place is a black and blue Bell 407 N39CL. There’s also another black and blue Bell 407, which may be a backup chopper. This tail number is N93DD.

Fun fact: N39DD formerly served in Miami as the shared chopper between WFOR, WTVJ and WPLG. Before that, it was just WPLG’s chopper.

• 2 weeks later...

No new updates on the new set or SkyFox. They have been promoting their new partnership with ONT Airport on GDLA and their noon news all day. The ND even made an appearance in a package on the noon show. I hope this wasn't their "something big is coming" tease. I love ONT- I fly thru it regularly, but a partnership with ONT doesn't affect the entire market...what about BUR, LGB, PSP?

https://www.foxla.com/news/fox-11-announces-partnership-with-ontario-international-airport

Underwhelming to say the least. They essentially kept the "guts" of the previous studio. They moved the location of the main anchor desk once again. They kept the "FOX LOS ANGELES" display that has been around from the last 2 set iterations. I was hopng to see something along the lines of WNYW/WTTG, but it appears they continue to giving their studio a refresh every few years.

I'll be curious how they leverage the new space for the 7-10am block of GDLA. That part of the show does a lot more walking around the studio and more interacting with on air talent compared to the 4-7a block, which is more hard news focused.

It looks...fine? I think it's decent for a refresh.

Is their 7-10am a 3-anchor format now? I thought it was just Michaela?

https://i.ibb.co/SyqhtpS/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-01-44-AM.png

https://i.ibb.co/Qk4vbpC/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-01-51-AM.png

https://i.ibb.co/pbXGm14/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-01-58-AM.png

https://i.ibb.co/k1DFZvL/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-07-33-AM.png

My only complaint would be this shot. I'm tired of seeing 2x2 monitor grids in sets and wish we didn't have them. This graphic isn't so bad, but it's hard to use these monitors and put pictures of people in them without looking like there's a target on their head.
https://i.ibb.co/gzydbtb/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-08-19-AM.png

https://i.ibb.co/SQKT6RT/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-8-09-10-AM.png

Edited by C Block
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, C Block said:

It looks...fine? I think it's decent for a refresh.

Is their 7-10am a 3-anchor format now? I thought it was just Michaela?

I agree it’s not terrible. I’m just a little surprised that this is the end result of nearly 2 months of work. Seems like a waste of time/resources.

It’s possible (3-anchor format). I don’t watch them often enough to confirm. Could be part of (morning) anchor/format changes across the FOX O&Os. WFLD went to 3-anchors (7-10A) yesterday.

• Like 1