KTTV - Fox 11 News Thread

Roadrunner

Thought it'd be best to create a thread for KTTV for developments to be centralized.

Recent developments at KTTV:

- In March 2019, KTTV shifted anchors in their lineup, with Elex Michaelson moving to nights with Christine Devine, swapping with Dan Cohen, who moved to Good Day LA. GDLA was also expanded to 4AM.

- In late-June 2019, Bill Lamb was named VP/GM of the station, succeeding Bob Cook, who left to head distribution for FTS

- In August 2019, ND Kris Knutsen was fired. 

- In December 2019, Erica Hill-Rodriguez was named the new ND.

- In early-2020, the station added weekday 6-6:30PM newscasts and an additional 7-7:30PM special newscast dedicated to the pandemic. (temporary? permanent? seemingly up for debate)

Since August 2019, those who've left/no longer affiliated or possibly become freelance, include Matt Johnson (reporter), Megan Colarossi (anchor), Leah Uko (reporter), and Seth Lemon (reporter).

In the same time frame, Koco McAboy (reporter) has joined. [all sourced from station website]

May 26, 2020:

FTVLive reports Julie Chang (entertainment anchor) is out and, though her social media still mentions Fox 11, her bio is officially gone from the website. She was with the station since 2012. He also mentions that his sources have informed him that the station is looking to cut more talent as their contracts end. Wouldn't surprise me given the expectation of layoffs in local TV with the pandemic wreaking havoc, and we've also seen many high-profile cuts in the past like Lucey, Barberie, Sansone, Breckenridge, etc., so what surprises will come next?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pablo Pereira seems to have been deleted by the station and from social media since the end of July. Rick Dickert was basically moved over from mornings to accommodate Stu Mundel, and to better use his talents, but still Pablo was around for a while, but is older so may not fit the Fox demographic. Zero coverage on any site though.

8 hours ago, polyiguana said:

Pablo Pereira seems to have been deleted by the station and from social media since the end of July. Rick Dickert was basically moved over from mornings to accommodate Stu Mundel, and to better use his talents, but still Pablo was around for a while, but is older so may not fit the Fox demographic. Zero coverage on any site though.

When Rick was moved to weekday evenings after Stu came onboard, I always felt like that meant Pablo would become dead man walking because there'd be no other slot for him (since there's no weekend mornings to justify five WXers). Unfortunate that his departure was very unceremonious, but we knew Fox was busy making cuts where they could.

Another MAJOR shift at Good Day LA -- https://tvnewscheck.com/article/more-news/253378/michaela-pereira-joins-kttvs-good-day-la/

• Former HLN anchor (MichaeLA!) and KTLA anchor Michaela Pereira joins Fox 11 and will anchor from 7-10AM WITH Tony and Araksya
  • Araksya also becomes anchor from 5-7AM (Presumably with Dan? The article doesn't mention.)
  • Rita becomes solo anchor from 4-5AM and will do live features throughout the rest

So thoughts:

• I don't get the part about Araksya now joining the 7-10 hour, along with the new 5-7 responsibility
  • This is a demotion for Rita 
  • Still not sure if Dan is staying or out
  • They let Julie Chang go earlier this year and if Rita becomes the "live segments" reporter, where does this really leave Vanessa?
Edited by Roadrunner

KTTV is out for blood with the Michaela hire. That is a huge get! I'm a KTLA guy, but I give a tip of the hat to KTTV. KTLA better tighten things up, they have been #1 for years, but I feel sometimes their talent and formula is mailing it in I guess some could argue that "if it aint broke don't fix it..."

Not a big fan of the new anchor lineup though. It seems like it is a temporary situation until someone's contract runs out. They should to the traditional 4-6 or 4-7am parings and the 7am-10am pairings. KTLA and WGN have always affectionately referred to those teams as the A team and the B team. I REALLY hope they lose that lame and outdated GDLA theme music at some point. The new FOX O&O theme is strong enough to be used on all KTTV dayparts.

Call me a pessimist, but I'm not sure if bringing Michaela, who's been gone from local LA TV for 7 years now, will really swing the needle at the embattled station. I do think this will mean some heads at the morning team will roll, but we just don't know who yet. The new anchor arrangement also makes no sense to me -- it reminds me of the recent changes made at WMAQ, but they can likely adjust that over there. Here, it almost feels like they're squeezing Rita out of a job, making Vanessa redundant, and...well, why not mention anything about Dan if they want to make it known that they at least value his place on the morning team?

On 9/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, FiveNews said:

KTTV is out for blood with the Michaela hire. That is a huge get! I'm a KTLA guy, but I give a tip of the hat to KTTV.

I don't follow LA too closely but am curious, in what way is this a "get" for KTTV? Because she was popular years ago at KTLA? Were other LA stations clamoring to hire her or was KTTV the only one interested? Was KTLA even interested in getting her back at all or have they "moved on"?

4 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I don't follow LA too closely but am curious, in what way is this a "get" for KTTV? Because she was popular years ago at KTLA? Were other LA stations clamoring to hire her or was KTTV the only one interested? Was KTLA even interested in getting her back at all or have they "moved on"?

Not sure if other LA stations were clamoring, but it is no secret that KTTV has languished in the mornings for years. To take a popular talent from their direct competition (KTLA) and bring them on to their morning show speaks to them trying to change their fortunes in the ratings department. Don't forget KTTV recently acquired Stu Mundel from KCBS/KCAL. Stu was their popular nightside chopper reporter known for his animated coverage of police pursuits. KTTV is making moves to be competitive. 

Not sure if KTLA wanted Michaela back. The morning A team they have now with Frank, Jessica, Mark and Sam works well for them. When Michaela left KTLA, I was one of the doubters on Jessica being able to fit the news anchor role well as she was previously the PM weather caster with the late Hal Fishman and then moved on to AM entertainment/features reporter. She has definitely earned my respect. She does a good job in the anchor seat.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 6:25 AM, FiveNews said:

Not sure if other LA stations were clamoring, but it is no secret that KTTV has languished in the mornings for years. To take a popular talent from their direct competition (KTLA) and bring them on to their morning show speaks to them trying to change their fortunes in the ratings department. Don't forget KTTV recently acquired Stu Mundel from KCBS/KCAL. Stu was their popular nightside chopper reporter known for his animated coverage of police pursuits. KTTV is making moves to be competitive. 

Not sure if KTLA wanted Michaela back. The morning A team they have now with Frank, Jessica, Mark and Sam works well for them. When Michaela left KTLA, I was one of the doubters on Jessica being able to fit the news anchor role well as she was previously the PM weather caster with the late Hal Fishman and then moved on to AM entertainment/features reporter. She has definitely earned my respect. She does a good job in the anchor seat.

KTLA Morning News was not popular because of Michaela. It already was well before she came and has continued to be so now years after she left. It's the on air team that meshes very well with each other that keeps KTLA on top and that isn't going to change. KTTV is exactly the flip side of KTLA in the morning. KTTV needs to make some major talent moves beyond just Michaela if they ever plan on being competitive in the morning. 

As for Stu Mundel, most of the car chases in Los Angeles are in the afternoon through very late night. He's now on in the early morning to 2 pm. Those that were use to him were watching him later in the day. He really hasn't added much to KTTV but that's not his fault, it is management's. He's on the wrong shift. 

On 9/4/2020 at 11:13 AM, Roadrunner said:

When Rick was moved to weekday evenings after Stu came onboard, I always felt like that meant Pablo would become dead man walking because there'd be no other slot for him (since there's no weekend mornings to justify five WXers). Unfortunate that his departure was very unceremonious, but we knew Fox was busy making cuts where they could.

They've been using Rick Dickert as their quasi-eye in the sky reporter during live helicopter reports after 2 pm, during during scheduled newscasts and live special reports, when CBS 2/KCAL 9 take over Sky Fox 11's chopper and feeds them video. 

Edited by CalItalian2

On 9/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, polyiguana said:

Looks like KTTV is hiring for a chief meteorologist regardless, I guess Rick may not be too keen on being confined to the weather desk. https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/9/28/guess-its-official

I mentioned this position opening in the WPVI thread because Melissa Magee was leaving to come home to LA (I want to think she is a possible candidate, but it wouldn't make sense for the position to appear just as she's leaving), but I really don't understand why Rick isn't a shoo-in for the position, considering how passionate he is for meteorology and how he's been doing the weekday evenings pretty consistently since Stu came onboard. I get that he might not want it either because of other commitments in his private life, but other than that, nothing suggests he doesn't deserve it. 

Are we shocked that this is happening? I'd been checking his socials for an imminent announcement of the sort and finally, here it is. The moment they omitted Dan from the press release celebrating Michaela's arrival at Fox was the moment I knew Dan was certainly headed out. And now it's been confirmed. In three years, his time at Fox 11 has certainly seemed very disappointing -- coming from KSWB KFMB probably wanting to retire at Fox 11 as the evening anchorman, but then being quickly demoted to mornings, and now leaving. He mentions a "new adventure on the horizon" but I'm really curious where he could possibly be heading in such a crowded market (of course unless he moves somewhere again). Good for him for choosing to spread positivity in his farewell post, though.

Edited by Roadrunner

38 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Are we shocked that this is happening? I'd been checking his socials for an imminent announcement of the sort and finally, here it is. The moment they omitted Dan from the press release celebrating Michaela's arrival at Fox was the moment I knew Dan was certainly headed out. And now it's been confirmed. In three years, his time at Fox 11 has certainly seemed very disappointing -- coming from KSWB probably wanting to retire at Fox 11 as the evening anchorman, but then being quickly demoted to mornings, and now leaving. He mentions a "new adventure on the horizon" but I'm really curious where he could possibly be heading in such a crowded market (of course unless he moves somewhere again). Good for him for choosing to spread positivity in his farewell post, though.

He came to FOX 11 from KFMB, not KSWB.  He's a good anchor and reporter, but I never really saw his appeal as the top anchor.

When he left KFMB, they were doing very well in the mornings, his co-anchor Nichelle Medina was let go a few months after Dan left. I'm sure it was difficult for him to achieve the same chemistry/friendship at Fox 11, that he had with Nichelle for the 15 years they anchored together.

Let's see what he ends up doing next...

15 minutes ago, A3N said:

He came to FOX 11 from KFMB, not KSWB. 

Oops, yes. Thank you for the correction. 

And I agree, chemistry is really necessary; whether or not we see something we like, the BTS chemistry is just as essential. I thought Rita and Dan had some rapport but it's definitely not 15 years worth. At least Nichelle is now with CBS Newspath (well, not really major gangbusters but it's something if she gets promoted) so here's hoping Dan finds his home.

Seems like the 7-10am hours of GDLA are definitely built around Michaela. Reminds me of the old GDNY with Jim Ryan. Jim would steer the ship while tossing to his counterparts in the studio/field and conducting in studio interviews.  I only watched the first block this morning. Michaela obviously knows the market, after her years at KTLA. Seemed like a breath of fresh air since the show didn't really have an identity after the sudden firing of Steve Edwards. Curious to see how the new format evolves.

I buried the lead here, though! They finally got new music!!!