Changes at WTKR

tvpirate05

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well speaking of that 5:30 show...looks like Ted Alexander is off the newscast (as an anchor anyway) and looks like the station is REALLY struggling. Take a look at these ratings numbers VARTV.com just posted for the 5:00-5:30 broadcast...

WVEC (13/ABC) 7.84 (news)

WAVY (10/NBC) 6.30 (news)

WVBT (43/FOX) ~4.65 (Maury)

WGNT (27/CW) ~4.29 (Dr Phil)

WTVZ (33/MNT) 0.95 (The Simpsons)

WTKR (3/CBS) 0.59 (news)

WSKY (4/Ind) 0.58 (A Different World)

WHRO (15/PBS) 0.48 (Maya & Miguel)

(Source: VARTV.com)

Can you say ouch? 6th place! And only .01 off from being 7th to an Independent station. Sad.

Well speaking of that 5:30 show...looks like Ted Alexander is off the newscast (as an anchor anyway) and looks like the station is REALLY struggling. Take a look at these ratings numbers VARTV.com just posted for the 5:00-5:30 broadcast...

WVEC (13/ABC) 7.84 (news)

WAVY (10/NBC) 6.30 (news)

WVBT (43/FOX) ~4.65 (Maury)

WGNT (27/CW) ~4.29 (Dr Phil)

WTVZ (33/MNT) 0.95 (The Simpsons)

WTKR (3/CBS) 0.59 (news)

WSKY (4/Ind) 0.58 (A Different World)

WHRO (15/PBS) 0.48 (Maya & Miguel)

(Source: VARTV.com)

Can you say ouch? 6th place! And only .01 off from being 7th to an Independent station. Sad.

Dang! 'TKR needs help. Bad.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! In even more changes, Les Smith is returning to Hampton Roads airwaves! You might remember that last year Smith, who had been the lead anchor at WAVY-TV from 1993-2007, abruptly resigned before the May sweeps. Looks like WTKR has taken the opportunity to snap him up and will be putting him on the 5:30 PM newscast! (According to VARTV.com)

Just a guess here, but I have a feeling it won't be long before Pat McReynolds is replaced by Smith. Smith will far outshine the joke that is McReynolds and WTKR would be stupid not to make him lead anchor. (Then again, it is WTKR...)

WOW! In even more changes, Les Smith is returning to Hampton Roads airwaves! You might remember that last year Smith, who had been the lead anchor at WAVY-TV from 1993-2007, abruptly resigned before the May sweeps. Looks like WTKR has taken the opportunity to snap him up and will be putting him on the 5:30 PM newscast! (According to VARTV.com)

Just a guess here, but I have a feeling it won't be long before Pat McReynolds is replaced by Smith. Smith will far outshine the joke that is McReynolds and WTKR would be stupid not to make him lead anchor. (Then again, it is WTKR...)

Anyway, my thoughts...

Good move. I actually think they should pair him up with Barbara at 6 and 11. It was very nice to hear him again reporting at 11 last night... it's a bit of a slap in the face to WAVY. Give it time... and rework the overall feel of the newscast as less entertaining and more serious.

If WTKR were smart they would get out of the news business all together. Same with WVBT Fox 43. After all Hampton Roads is pretty much a two-station market when it comes to news and it has been that way for years. Very unusual market !!

If WTKR were smart they would get out of the news business all together. Same with WVBT Fox 43. After all Hampton Roads is pretty much a two-station market when it comes to news and it has been that way for years. Very unusual market !!

WVBT is owned by LIN along with WAVY...

Found this on vartv.com

"Big tune-in for severe weather coverage

| Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hampton Roads viewers tuned-in bigtime to the severe weather coverage, including a tornado in Suffolk, that hit the area and Northeast North Carolina yesterday afternoon.

WVEC (13/ABC) had the highest viewership of the evening, peaking 5:30 to 7 p.m. doing a 16.8/25.2, 16.7/25.5 and 16.1/24.1 for each half hour. During the 5:30 half hour, more viewers were actually tuned in to WTKR (3/CBS) 9.4/14.1 than WAVY (10/NBC) 8.0/12.0. Note that WVBT (43/FOX) was simulcasting WAVY's newscast most of the evening, up to 7 p.m. WVBT was averaging 3.2~3.4 during that time.

When WAVY's "Chopper 10" started beaming pictures from Suffolk just after 6:30, viewers started tuning in. Viewership slipped on WVEC and WTKR during this time with WAVY peaking at a 15.0/21.3 during the 7:30 p.m. half hour."

Note the comparison between WTKR and WAVY's numbers at 5:30. Considering the storm that took place, it's hard to tell for certain if this was because of that, viewers curious to see Les Smith for the first time in a little over a year, or some combination.

WVBT is owned by LIN along with WAVY...

I know it is but is it me or do people in other parts of the country look at Norfolk ( ok Hampton Roads ) as well different compared to other markets?

I have family who often visits that area ( they have homes in Nags Head ), and often they make comments about how "stupid" it is for WAVY and WVEC to have news choppers or even for the local stations to do traffic reports. Like the area is such a "small town" or something.

I remember a number of years back when the NBA's then-Charlotte Hornets was in the process of looking for a new home. I seem to recall Norfolk was actually their first pick. Of course the team ended up going to New Orleans ( mainly due to an arena in place ). I also seem to recall the comments by both the NBA and even ESPN about the Norfolk TV market saying it was "too small" and the TV market was totally unacceptable for any pro-sport.

I always thought then saying that was very odd considering that even before Katrina New Orleans TV market was still smaller than Norfolk as well as Buffalo, Jacksonville and Memphis, and they had no problem getting/ keeping their teams.

Maybe its the "big city" thing. People just have a problem considering Norfolk and even Virginia Beach "big cities" but they still consider Buffalo one even with its population long in decline.

Either way its odd.

I remember a number of years back when the NBA's then-Charlotte Hornets was in the process of looking for a new home. I seem to recall Norfolk was actually their first pick. Of course the team ended up going to New Orleans ( mainly due to an arena in place ). I also seem to recall the comments by both the NBA and even ESPN about the Norfolk TV market saying it was "too small" and the TV market was totally unacceptable for any pro-sport.

I always thought then saying that was very odd considering that even before Katrina New Orleans TV market was still smaller than Norfolk as well as Buffalo, Jacksonville and Memphis, and they had no problem getting/ keeping their teams.

Forgot Green Bay.

I think what hurt Norfolk then was more the fact their main sports arenas; Norfolk's Scope and the Hampton Coliseum, are too small (Scope's 12,000 seats; while the Charlotte Coliseum had about 24,000) and too old (Scope opened in 1971, Charlotte Coliseum opened in 1988, New Orleans Arena in 1999).

The ratings at WTKR must be so bad that advertisers are dropping and they are looking for revenue enhancers so they have taken to SUING tornado devastated cities! For those of you outside the area, the city of Suffolk was badly damaged in several neighborhoods by a very powerful tornado. WTKR claims that the media was restricted by the emergency response and now wants the city to pony up! "It[WTKR] also seeks compensatory damages of not less than $75,000 and punitive damages of not less than $30,000"

Seems to me that money could MUCH better be spent helping the VICTIMS. WTKR claims to be Taking Action and it looks like they are taking action for themselves. What an embarrassment to be affiliated with that joke of a news operation.

Read the full article:

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/wtkr-files-suit-against-suffolk-because-media-restrictions-tornadodamaged-areas

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-1714

Personnel from information services such as press, radio and television, when gathering news, shall be exempt from the provisions of this section except that it shall be unlawful for such persons to obstruct the police, firemen and rescue workers in the performance of their duties at such scene. Such personnel shall proceed at their own risk.

However, I must say the lawsuit is in bad taste. I wouldn't be surprised if you see this statute challenged out of this...

They didn't even allow RESIDENTS into the neighborhood at first, and when they did, it was for a VERY brief period.

Why the hell would they make an exception for a third party (in this case, the media)?!

I expect this to get laughed right out the courtroom.

WTKR reported on this last night and said they would take the monetary part of the suit out. They basically said that city officials were not communicating with the residents (which they weren't, every station said that) and people were only available to get their information from the media, which is usually true in times like this.

I still find it kind of odd that a station would sue a city, other possible ways of settling this are possible and better than suing a city after this disaster.

WTKR reported on this last night and said they would take the monetary part of the suit out. They basically said that city officials were not communicating with the residents (which they weren't, every station said that) and people were only available to get their information from the media, which is usually true in times like this.

I still find it kind of odd that a station would sue a city, other possible ways of settling this are possible and better than suing a city after this disaster.

Regardless, it's bad for the station's image. Judging by the comments in the Pilot story, they'll still be seen as a greedy media organization that's only out for ratings and has no respect for the families.

The ratings at WTKR must be so bad that advertisers are dropping and they are looking for revenue enhancers so they have taken to SUING tornado devastated cities! For those of you outside the area, the city of Suffolk was badly damaged in several neighborhoods by a very powerful tornado. WTKR claims that the media was restricted by the emergency response and now wants the city to pony up! "It[WTKR] also seeks compensatory damages of not less than $75,000 and punitive damages of not less than $30,000"

Seems to me that money could MUCH better be spent helping the VICTIMS. WTKR claims to be Taking Action and it looks like they are taking action for themselves. What an embarrassment to be affiliated with that joke of a news operation.

Read the full article:

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/wtkr-files-suit-against-suffolk-because-media-restrictions-tornadodamaged-areas

Just found out about this. To be honest, I assumed it was a joke.

Wow. That's all I can say, this is so unbelievable.

With all of these problems such as bad ratings and now this suit which I am sure will if it hasnt already have hurt WTKR, wonder what CBS thinks of all of this? How long will it be before CBS says enough is enough?

Last I heard CBS still owns WGNT CW 27. Wonder what the odds are of CBS dropping WTKR and move over to WGNT?

Archived