WFLA getting new set

TampaBowler

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Interesting.... hopefully they get a better graphics package too... Their current package is garbage

No. The set itself was what needed to change not the graphics. In fact I like their current package it's not that bad, it's actually pretty good

I agree.  The set itself wasn't bad although it had an odd florescent look to it at times.  The graphics pkg is actually superior to some of the current Nexstar gfx...just my opinion.

Here's to hoping whether they keep the graphics or switch them out that they are allowed to keep Guardian as their music pkg.

4 hours ago, TampaBowler said:

WFLA has moved elements of the current set into their second studio as a temporary set.

New set should be completed in the next 6-8 weeks.

FB_IMG_1590337149193.jpg

FB_IMG_1590337153186.jpg

Interesting they still went forward with it given the current situation. Excited to see what they come up with, but I feel like it will look like a Nexstar set-in-a-box.

1 hour ago, jbnews said:

Interesting they still went forward with it given the current situation. Excited to see what they come up with, but I feel like it will look like a Nexstar set-in-a-box.

I was thinking the same thing. Like is there other stations that even started a remodel but have been halted due to the pandemic? 

I'd argue it's probably the best time for set redesigns to happen with very few working in the office. The question becomes how that set is going to look for the new normal, and when talent will be able to use it.

Britain in the 90s had huge desks (or at least the camera tricks made them so) on local news sets. Almost wonder if we'll start seeing behemoth-type sets again to account for social distancing, like SVN or late '90s era WWOR. It certainly looks like WFLA has the space to do something like that if they wanted to.

26 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I'd argue it's probably the best time for set redesigns to happen with very few working in the office. The question becomes how that set is going to look for the new normal, and when talent will be able to use it.

Britain in the 90s had huge desks (or at least the camera tricks made them so) on local news sets. Almost wonder if we'll start seeing behemoth-type sets again to account for social distancing, like SVN or late '90s era WWOR. It certainly looks like WFLA has the space to do something like that if they wanted to.

I think in general stations like most of the OKC stations (if we want to talk about individual markets) or groups like Hearst (if we want to talk about groups) clearly when they built these sets even several years ago (WFLA's sister station KFOR for example) clearly when you look at KFOR's facility they had Social Distancing in mind when they built the set and that's how the main anchors is and was able to still come to work and be physically distant.

And I think we'll find out starting with WFLA what the sets are going to look like in a post-COVID world.

I believe that once things return to normal (which I believe it will happen sooner than many think), social distancing will not be an issue.  Many modern day set designs already allow for flexibility.  I don't think it's necessary for set designers to outright design a set to factor in "social distancing."

11 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Interesting.... hopefully they get a better graphics package too... Their current package is garbage

Oh no way in hell. I really do like that package, especially the open. IMO, it fits with the Guardian package they currently use.

Interesting to see where not the only station moving forward with a... oh *cough* nevermind. 

Now would seem to be the best-worst time to build out a set. Station staff is at a minimum, and you can expedite the process a bit with the extra space and urgency.

Nexstar seems to have a few set-in-a-box elements, but they seem to be pretty good about forming each set to the space, even though it leaves some looking pretty tight

Prepare yourselves... the vidwallpacolypse is coming. 

20 hours ago, jbnews said:

Possibly, but there's also no ruling out WFLA using FX Group for their new set also since they've handled a few studio builds over the last couple of years for Nexstar stations that chose not to go the in-house route (i.e., KOIN, WNCN, WKRN, and KGPE).

On 5/24/2020 at 12:23 PM, TampaBowler said:

WFLA has moved elements of the current set into their second studio as a temporary set.

New set should be completed in the next 6-8 weeks.

FB_IMG_1590337149193.jpg

FB_IMG_1590337153186.jpg

I say this I do agree they need a new set,  But kinda liked this set last one left over from the Media General-era. it was there first one in I think in 10-15 years they had gotten a new set. I liked it had nice duratrans, the monitors were hi-tech it was great. They got it around the same time WNCN got there new set. And yeah It was that except WNCN got a little more attention towards the Nexstar takeover. Getting a graphics package, new newscast at 5 P.M. and Noon and updated news times on Weekend Mornings and Weekend Evenings because of the switch to CBS. So that then after the Ownership switch WNCN even little more attention to get some ratings attention with a New Set, New Graphics and Rebrand to CBS17. Anyways enough with the left field (You can read the history on Wikipedia) WFLA kinda after the buyout got neglected I didn't hear from them since, I knew they were part of Nexstar and didn't get divested, but remember they were Media General's flagship station as Media General was based in Tampa where WFLA is. So it's nice to see WFLA get a piece of Nexstar updates goodbye to Media General era set and maybe graphics and glad they got a set upgrades and news upgrades. Nexstar giving a crap about them.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a mock up of the new set and I was pleasantly surprised. This doesn't look like it will be a Nexstar-style set. The elements look somewhat European. Clean lines, minimalist, open. WFLA has the space for it so it will be exciting to see the company moving in this direction. 

2 hours ago, TampaBowler said:

I just saw a mock up of the new set and I was pleasantly surprised. This doesn't look like it will be a Nexstar-style set. The elements look somewhat European. Clean lines, minimalist, open. WFLA has the space for it so it will be exciting to see the company moving in this direction. 

Ooh. I can't wait!! Hope this trend makes it to other Nexstar stations too!

I wonder if new graphics and or/music will accompany the set.

Based on how the set design was described -- I would hope they get new graphics as the current package wouldn't match the clean asthetic at ALL 

8 hours ago, TampaBowler said:

Based on the details you gave, are we to assume this is not an in-house job, but rather something being handled by a third party?

50 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Based on the details you gave, are we to assume this is not an in-house job, but rather something being handled by a third party?

I would assume, because the last time I heard the Nexstar guy (Lance) doesn't do renderings.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, TampaBowler said:

And where, may I ask, could we see this mock up?

On 6/25/2020 at 6:43 PM, TheOneManHerd said:

And where, may I ask, could we see this mock up?

Respecting their wishes, I did not take pictures. But like I said, it will be quite a nice change if the renderings come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived