Technical difficulties at the start of the east coast feed NBC Nightly News

ref1997

Last night's NBC Nightly News with Jose Diaz-Balart ( on the east coast feed) had some technical difficulties at the start of the program.

The title sequence failed to roll out, Jose readed a couple of headlines and started the first story right away. The old version of the NN logo was aired throughout the first portion of the program before the commercial break.

I was doing some recording test and accidentally stumbled across this on NBC 4 New York (WNBC). You'll see the technical difficulties exclusive on the east coast feed and the station cutting to the network feed early, showing the "countdown slide" before the start.

By the time the program aired on the west coast feed, the opening sequence and the first story is re-recorded with the correct logo on the bottom right. However, the logo was reverted back to the old version again on the reporter's stand up piece (3:56 on the video) as they decided not to re-record the whole first portion. Everything went back to normal after they go to the break and returned.

I thought the opening sequence for NN is pre-recorded during rehearsal on the off air feed. Their rehearsal is pretty lengthy to avoid any last minute breakdowns but I assume right before they went live something went wrong, hence they failed to play the pre-recorded opening and aired the wrong version of the NN logo... Any speculations?

My assumption is WNBC actually took the feed "on time", and it was just 7 seconds late. Anyone else catch Nightly on their local station on Sunday?

I wonder if the weekend shows are automated, and this was some kind of catastrophic automation failure. 

I know this is about the technical difficulties, but just wanted to throw this question in here...with JDB working six days per week, including his commute up to NYC from Miami, when does he get time off? Does he get extended days off once per month or extended summertime vacation?  I'm sure the money is fantastic, but that workload and weekly commute has to take a toll.

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

I know this is about the technical difficulties, but just wanted to throw this question in here...with JDB working six days per week, including his commute up to NYC from Miami, when does he get time off? Does he get extended days off once per month or extended summertime vacation?  I'm sure the money is fantastic, but that workload and weekly commute has to take a toll.

Do they even have Jose go to New York anymore? Seemed unnecessary even before COVID, but now it's pointless.

5 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Don’t understand why he’s even the Saturday anchor with all the rest of his responsibilities. Just give Saturday to Kate too and let JDB focus on Telemundo.

6 hours ago, Weeters said:

My assumption is WNBC actually took the feed "on time", and it was just 7 seconds late. Anyone else catch Nightly on their local station on Sunday?

I wonder if the weekend shows are automated, and this was some kind of catastrophic automation failure. 

Yep this was a national error as it played just as above on KXAS in Dallas Saturday night.

Archived