KMGH is now avaliable in Southwest Colorado.

DENDude

KMGH is now available in Southwestern Colorado.   It was added sometime Saturday night or early Sunday. 

Stupid question here, why didn't they add Pueblo stations instead?  Pueblo is closer from a DMA standpoint, and I doubt that KMGH is going to have a reporter nearby.    

https://durangoherald.com/articles/319942

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

KMGH is now available in Southwestern Colorado.   It was added sometime Saturday night or early Sunday. 

Stupid question here, why didn't they add Pueblo stations instead?  Pueblo is closer from a DMA standpoint, and I doubt that KMGH is going to have a reporter nearby.    

Whoever had the money to pony up to the FCC for legal filings and to build a transmitter that direction. Scripps did. KRDO didn't. But it does beg the question, why KMGH and not KOAA.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Whoever had the money to pony up to the FCC for legal filings and to build a transmitter that direction. Scripps did. KRDO didn't. But it does beg the question, why KMGH and not KOAA.

SW COLORADO wants DENVER TV, whether on cable, sat, or over the air. I lived in Durango for 10 years. I wanted Colorado news. Not New Mexico TV news. Give the people in SW Colorado what they want.

46 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

SW COLORADO wants DENVER TV, whether on cable, sat, or over the air. I lived in Durango for 10 years. I wanted Colorado news. Not New Mexico TV news. Give the people in SW Colorado what they want.

And give people the Broncos instead of the Cowboys.

2 hours ago, CubsFan79 said:

Springs/Pueblo DMA news isn't New Mexico news. Though I do know that Durango carried KRQE for a long time.

20 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Springs/Pueblo DMA news isn't New Mexico news. Though I do know that Durango carried KRQE for a long time.

I remember seeing KRQE when I visited Durango several years ago.  Did they drop the channel since then?

4 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I wonder if it's something to do with the Denver stations always having the ability to penetrate it's signal into the mountains with the translators while the Springs stations simply don't have the money to do it?

I was in Pagosa Springs in December 2015 and all I got while I was up there was the Denver stations and they barely mention anything about Southwest Colorado (except for the weather) and then I got Albuquerque's KOB via cable which they too didn't cover Southwest Colorado all that much.

If I were the GM of either KKTV, KRDO, KXRM or KOAA I would pony up the money and build a transmitter on top of Wolf Creek Pass and build a strong enough transmitter that people in places such as Pagosa Springs and Durango get the coverage they deserve because neither Denver or Albuquerque seem to care about Southwest Colorado a whole lot.

11 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I wonder if it's something to do with the Denver stations always having the ability to penetrate it's signal into the mountains with the translators while the Springs stations simply don't have the money to do it?

Unlikely. KMGH doesn't even penetrate Denver all that well. PSIP 7 runs into frequent interference. KZCO-LD simulcasts KMGH on subchannel 30.3.

1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Unlikely. KMGH doesn't even penetrate Denver all that well. PSIP 7 runs into frequent interference. KZCO-LD simulcasts KMGH on subchannel 30.3.

I think though that if the Springs stations normally have the money to do nice sets, etc. they should have the money to add coverage to Southwest Colorado. I'm guessing the Colorado Springs stations has no money to do that and they never will.

I can imagine KCNC, KUSA and KDVR/KWGN all do a much better job at reaching Southwest Colorado especially KCNC/KUSA

6 hours ago, DENDude said:

Because the entire satellite market modification proceeding that got us here and has been going on for years has been about the Denver network affiliates.

6 hours ago, Samantha said:

Because the entire satellite market modification proceeding that got us here and has been going on for years has been about the Denver network affiliates.

La Plata County may want to petition the FCC for over the air Denver (Colorado Springs too) TV stations. This is 2020, You would think the technology would be there by now. Durango is not the only area with this problem. 

17 hours ago, DENDude said:

Grand Junction is also closer but its up to people in SW Colorado.

5 hours ago, news89 said:

This reminds me of sister WCJB's fight to get satellite coverage, within its own coverage area, especially in Marion and Columbia counties and especially on DirecTV.

They did fight back, won and are currently there in those counties, despite DirecTV (I think) also carrying Orlando locals in Marion county, due to Ocala's closer promixity to Orlando.

https://www.wcjb.com/content/news/If-you-ca-569094051.html

On 4/28/2020 at 12:43 AM, oknewsguy said:

I think though that if the Springs stations normally have the money to do nice sets, etc. they should have the money to add coverage to Southwest Colorado. I'm guessing the Colorado Springs stations has no money to do that and they never will.

I can imagine KCNC, KUSA and KDVR/KWGN all do a much better job at reaching Southwest Colorado especially KCNC/KUSA

On 4/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

This reminds me of sister WCJB's fight to get satellite coverage, within its own coverage area, especially in Marion and Columbia counties and especially on DirecTV.

They did fight back, won and are currently there in those counties, despite DirecTV (I think) also carrying Orlando locals in Marion county, due to Ocala's closer promixity to Orlando.

https://www.wcjb.com/content/news/If-you-ca-569094051.html

I lived in Durango for 10 years, It was very frustrating not to  get news from your own state. If La Plata county can’t get Denver TV, maybe the next alternative is for Colorado Springs/ Pueblo or Grand Junction TV

I could think of a couple of really good cases for Significantly Viewed Stations for Directv to carry from areas I've lived in like WLOX being SV for Hancock and Pearl River County, Mississippi as their news covers those two counties extensively and better than the New Orleans stations that they are designated under. Or Philadelphia stations in Ocean County, NJ which parts of the county are closer than NYC. Or Orlando stations in Polk County, Florida. The possibilities are endless. 

I think I remember. Didn't FCC release a manual years ago of what stations are "significantly viewed" for certain counties?

On 5/1/2020 at 3:00 PM, CubsFan79 said:

I lived in Durango for 10 years, It was very frustrating not to  get news from your own state. If La Plata county can’t get Denver TV, maybe the next alternative is for Colorado Springs/ Pueblo or Grand Junction TV

IIRC, many years ago (early/mid 90s), that area had a series of translators that carried a plethora of markets: KOBF, KREZ (KREX satellite at the time), ABC (can’t remember if it was KOAT or KJCT), The Denver stations as well as the Salt Lake stations, plus CBC North and a few cable-ish channels (ARTS, C-SPAN, Satellite News Channel), but not the biggies (CNN, USA, ESPN, etc.)

On 5/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, jerseyfla said:

I could think of a couple of really good cases for Significantly Viewed Stations for Directv to carry from areas I've lived in like WLOX being SV for Hancock and Pearl River County, Mississippi as their news covers those two counties extensively and better than the New Orleans stations that they are designated under. Or Philadelphia stations in Ocean County, NJ which parts of the county are closer than NYC. Or Orlando stations in Polk County, Florida. The possibilities are endless. 

I think I remember. Didn't FCC release a manual years ago of what stations are "significantly viewed" for certain counties?

There was an FCC list posted, but I’m not sure how usable it is now, especially with affiliation swaps, sub-channels, and stations going dark (or being new).

The main intent is to ensure that viewers get relevant news to their community - Morgantown being in the Pittsburgh market is a good example - state news from WV isn’t covered on the PGH stations, but is relevant to folks in Morgantown. Unfortunately, New Jersey and Delaware are screwed - there aren’t effectively any local newscasts based in those states (now that WMGM and WHYY no longer provide local news to those areas)....

On 5/9/2020 at 8:19 AM, compubit said:

Unfortunately, New Jersey and Delaware are screwed - there aren’t effectively any local newscasts based in those states (now that WMGM and WHYY no longer provide local news to those areas)....

Do you consider NJTV News, still in operation, not to be a local newscast?

14 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

I consider it.

But now you only have ONE newscast when back in the day, there's used to be 3. Jersey doesn't get much love anymore for some reason...

On 5/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, compubit said:

The main intent is to ensure that viewers get relevant news to their community - Unfortunately, New Jersey and Delaware are screwed - there aren’t effectively any local newscasts based in those states (now that WMGM and WHYY no longer provide local news to those areas)....

Especially including WWOR which shut down its news department in 2013...and merged its operations with sister station WNYW in 2019 after the FCC's Main Studio Rule was repealed.

At least the Garden State still has News 12 New Jersey....

On 5/11/2020 at 5:28 AM, AmericanErrorist said:

I forgot about that - after NJN News shut down, it sort of left my consciousness...  I haven’t seen it lately, but don’t they have more long format pieces/segments, like PBS NewsHour?

News12 is still there,  but it’s cable only for specific systems (though it did just join Verizon Fios).

To me, New Jersey is definitely underserved in local TV News.

J

Archived