Bob Iger: He's Back, and This Time, He's MAD.

Weeters

28 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Short sighted? That's the long game. They are switching to a pure-play content creation model because distribution is no longer lucrative.

It made sense for them to do it with their radio properties because there's little money to be made in radio anymore. Without live sports for a while, we're going to see really quick if the same is true for OTA TV.

20 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

And yet, CBS is looking to spin off their entire O&O television group. This is what the ViacomCBS merger was about.

This wouldn't shock me. Remember when Fox entertained the possibility of selling their O&O's to Amazon?

On 4/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Action Newsroom said:

I can definitely not. If the other Big 4 networks have O&Os, why not ABC? Axing stations that are #1 in their markets? An idiotic decision.

you forgot the asterisks... #1* in their market!!!

(*using the measurements that are useful to them...)

there will be other things happening to the o&o's much sooner than this sale will...

you all will not like them...

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Webovision said:

there will be other things happening to the o&o's much sooner than this sale will...

disappointed the sandlot GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webovision said:

Hooray hubbed everything.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, jase said:

I couldn’t imagine anyone at ABC News truly welcoming the opportunity to become ABCNN. I would expect some major pushback with them wanting to remain independent, if you will, as much as possible. 

Cause there to biased, that's why you'd really have journalist and staffers going to right-wing media organizations really its biased and they'll really lose there jobs. Just for the fun of it. Embarrassing the Network.

Edited by Gavin
  • Confused 1

I can actually see where Disney acquires FoxCorp (they already market Disney properties during 9-1-1, Tucker Carlson and NFL broadcasts) and sells off virtually all of the assets that were previously Capital Cities/ABC to Hearst. Hearst would then ask for a temporary cross-ownership waiver to keep the San Francisco Chronicle and Houston Chronicle (which actually launched KTRK along with KTRH radio) while it lobbies the FCC to repeal the cross-ownership ban (which IMHO is an outdated rule that has no relevance in today's media environment). There even exists a possiblity (as has been bandied about many times) that Hearst could even sell the newspapers.

This would mean that Hearst would have total control over ESPN, A&E and Lifetime, which would allow them to further integrate their cable nets and ABC without corporate red tape...in other words, get ready for occasional Lifetime movies and Live PD specials on ABC in addition to the various ESPN crossovers to ABC including a potential move of Monday Night Football back to ABC (where it should have remained). It does not necessarily mean Hearst would have to sell its non-ABC stations though...I could actually see Hearst keeping WBAL and flipping it to ABC since they've owned that station from the very beginning...1948 to be exact, which would make selling WBAL too bittersweet for Hearst to do just to buy a major broadcast network. They really could care less if Scripps objects since it is a major ABC affiliate group, WMAR is not a very strong performer for ABC and Scripps already owns a number of NBC stations including WTMJ and WPTV. Not to mention the fate of Hearst's indie station in Tampa, WMOR, which either could be sold to Scripps and paired with their ABC station WFTS or paired with WFTS should Scripps flip it to Hearst in exchange for some non-ABC Hearst stations like KCRA/Sacramento and WESH/Orlando.

Also, ABC has nowhere near the O&O gravitas that CBS, Fox and NBC have (albeit inflated by Telemundo in the latter), so if they're going to boost the distribution of its Localish diginet and potentially others as well, making a major play for O&Os could be the smart thing to do. And if Warren Buffett wants to get involved with his money like he did when CapCities swallowed up ABC with a (giant) big gulp and flipped two of their CBS affiliates to ABC, he might even dangle WPLG as a carrot to the stick, which would make Miami a five-O&O market (including the two Spanish behemoths based in Miami).

That is what the course of action should be, but it's just my two cents. Capeesh?

3 hours ago, SS8609 said:

Also, ABC has nowhere near the O&O gravitas that CBS, Fox and NBC have (albeit inflated by Telemundo in the latter), so if they're going to boost the distribution of its Localish diginet and potentially others as well, making a major play for O&Os could be the smart thing to do. And if Warren Buffett wants to get involved with his money like he did when CapCities swallowed up ABC with a (giant) big gulp and flipped two of their CBS affiliates to ABC, he might even dangle WPLG as a carrot to the stick, which would make Miami a five-O&O market (including the two Spanish behemoths based in Miami).

O&O gravitas doesn't matter anymore. Nobody's buying new stations except for FOX and that's mainly to get more money out of areas where they have NFL rights.

If anything, O&O's might be sold off if they're not viable anymore but I don't see Disney selling ABC or FOX selling to Disney and I'll be surprised if they do. Also any talk of WPLG as an ABC O&O is simply pure fantasy. Just because NBC & CBS own O&O's in Miami does not mean that it's an O&O market just like Boston isn't an O&O market. Think of it from a business perspective, not from a "fantasy TV" perspective.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, ESPN won't be on the block, but Iger all but telegraphed that Disney is close to offloading their majority stake in Hulu.

Pressed by (CNBC) host David Faber on whether he’d be interested if Comcast CEO Brian Roberts inquired about buying the Disney stake, (Bob) Iger said, “We will be open minded.” Faber noted that the going assumption has been that Disney would buy the remaining stake in Hulu. “And I think I am suggesting that that is not necessarily the case,” Iger said.

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

man they should just sell 33% to Fox Corp. and call it a day. much easier than offloading an investment you spent millions of dollars on.

Edited by TVLurker

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

Disney definitely owns a significant amount of brands, so if they do sell-off Hulu,  they can re-route content from FX, ABC, Freeform, 20th Century, and Searchlight to Disney+, that's what they've been doing internationally. Makes you wonder if Universal would want to go all-in on Hulu and ditch Peacock altogether. 

I feel like most people forget Disney has partial ownership of A&E Networks (50%) and VICE Media (16%), I wonder if any of those will be re-evaluated at this time, or if they're fine being silent partners with those entities, those two ventures haven't been really integrating under Disney, I'm surprised ABC News hasn't partnered with Vice News on projects. 

6 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

man they should just sell 33% to Fox Corp. and call it a day. much easier than offloading an investment you spent millions of dollars on.

I do wonder if Fox would invest in some of Hulu again, they did recently renew their relationship with them: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-30/fox-renews-deal-to-put-prime-time-shows-on-disney-s-hulu-service

Edited by tvtime07

• Weeters changed the title to Bob Iger: He's Back, and This Time, He's MAD.