Bob Iger: He's Back, and This Time, He's MAD.

Weeters

• Weeters changed the title to Bob Iger: He's Back, and This Time, He's MAD.
On 2/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, tvtime07 said:

Disney definitely owns a significant amount of brands, so if they do sell-off Hulu,  they can re-route content from FX, ABC, Freeform, 20th Century, and Searchlight to Disney+, that's what they've been doing internationally. Makes you wonder if Universal would want to go all-in on Hulu and ditch Peacock altogether. 

I feel like most people forget Disney has partial ownership of A&E Networks (50%) and VICE Media (16%), I wonder if any of those will be re-evaluated at this time, or if they're fine being silent partners with those entities, those two ventures haven't been really integrating under Disney, I'm surprised ABC News hasn't partnered with Vice News on projects. 

I do wonder if Fox would invest in some of Hulu again, they did recently renew their relationship with them: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-30/fox-renews-deal-to-put-prime-time-shows-on-disney-s-hulu-service

Hulu has turned into a bit of albatross for Disney. Trying to program it and Disney+ is just too expensive. Plus, not selling/licensing films, shows, etc.. to others and keeping everything in house isn’t generating $$$.

Can’t see anyone jumping at the chance to buy Hulu that already owns their own streaming service. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Drew said:

I could see Comcast/NBCUniversal looking at purchasing and merging Peacock into Hulu. 

Yeah... trying to combine two steaming services is easier said than done. Just ask WBD.

I could see Disney and Comcast becoming 50/50 partners. However, I don't think it makes financial sense to have full ownership of Hulu (whether it's Disney or Comcast). 

Edited by jase

3 hours ago, jase said:

Hulu has turned into a bit of albatross for Disney. Trying to program it and Disney+ is just too expensive. Plus, not selling/licensing films, shows, etc.. to others and keeping everything in house isn’t generating $$$.

Can’t see anyone jumping at the chance to buy Hulu that already owns their own streaming service. 

There's a nice article here from a few months ago about Hulu and the dilemma it faces within Disney:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/06/hulu-faces-existential-crisis-as-disney-decides-how-to-move-forward.html

A big problem is that next January Comcast can force Disney to buy out their stake in Hulu, and that's gonna be well in the billions.

5 hours ago, MD TV said:

There's a nice article here from a few months ago about Hulu and the dilemma it faces within Disney:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/06/hulu-faces-existential-crisis-as-disney-decides-how-to-move-forward.html

A big problem is that next January Comcast can force Disney to buy out their stake in Hulu, and that's gonna be well in the billions.

Comcast, unsurprisingly, hasn't been all that interested in creating a directed streamer. Peacock is FAST, but it lacks the investment that Paramount+ and Disney+ has had.

10 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Comcast, unsurprisingly, hasn't been all that interested in creating a directed streamer. Peacock is FAST, but it lacks the investment that Paramount+ and Disney+ has had.

Comcast just stopped offering FAST Peacock to new subscribers. But according to this, Xumo might end up being Comcast's answer to Pluto/Tubi:

https://www.tvrev.com/news/wir20230203

I looked at Xumo for the first time in ages recently and they're the only one of these I've seen with the ABC O&O's as channels.

On 2/11/2023 at 5:59 PM, Drew said:

I could see Comcast/NBCUniversal looking at purchasing and merging Peacock into Hulu. 

How about Comcast and Disney go 50% and merge ALL streaming services they have.  That way, everyone is happy and everyone wins.  All apps can also remain separate and then if they want them all together just use the Hulu app so that you don't have to keep switching between apps. 

Honestly, a streaming service that could give me not only the best of ESPN but the best of NBC Sports, would be appealing. Furthermore, Hulu's shows combined with both Peacock and Disney+ would result in a series of bangers that would be worth paying a Netflix style price per month for. To say nothing of the vast library content. Plus Hulu just renewed their deal with Fox Broadcasting Company so there's that.  

Disney would be smart to also buy a small part of Xumo too or even do a deal with Tubi, if not buying a small part of that. Then you would really have a threat to Pluto. 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

How about Comcast and Disney go 50% and merge ALL streaming services they have.  That way, everyone is happy and everyone wins.  All apps can also remain separate and then if they want them all together just use the Hulu app so that you don't have to keep switching between apps. 

Honestly, a streaming service that could give me not only the best of ESPN but the best of NBC Sports, would be appealing. Furthermore, Hulu's shows combined with both Peacock and Disney+ would result in a series of bangers that would be worth paying a Netflix style price per month for. To say nothing of the vast library content. Plus Hulu just renewed their deal with Fox Broadcasting Company so there's that.  

Disney would be smart to also buy a small part of Xumo too or even do a deal with Tubi, if not buying a small part of that. Then you would really have a threat to Pluto. 

The Incredible Hulk rights and everything else Disney wants says hi.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In addition to finding a strategic partner for ESPN, Iger said that he was “open to selling or spinning off Disney’s legacy cable networks, including FX and NatGeo, and its broadcast group, ABC Networks.”

Man, Fox made out like bandits when they did.

• Like 1