WJFW sued by Trump over COVID-19 ad

NewsMaster

https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronavirus-donald-trump-priorities-usa-1202906890/

Trump is probably going after WJFW for a few reasons:

1. The station is in Wisconsin, a state that is probably the most important in the upcoming election.
  2. Weak, cash-strapped owner in Rockfleet.
  3. Small market (keep in mind that WJFW primarily serves Rhinelander rather than Wausau).

I feel like WJFW was an easy target for Trump.

2 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronavirus-donald-trump-priorities-usa-1202906890/

1. The station is in Wisconsin, a state that is probably the most important in the upcoming election.
  2. Weak, cash-strapped owner in Rockfleet.
  3. Small market (keep in mind that WJFW primarily serves Rhinelander rather than Wausau).

It's the most Trump-friendly part of the state too. I think it's a frivolous lawsuit and Rockfleet will win in the countersuit.

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

It's the most Trump-friendly part of the state too. I think it's a frivolous lawsuit and Rockfleet will win in the countersuit.

Completely baseless since multiple stations and much larger groups have run the same ad repeatedly in many states.  

Had the station refused to air the ad, they would be in much worse trouble.  

Even if this proceeds further, expect the NAB or other groups to stand by Rockfleet in defense.

2 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

Campaign picks on tiny owner that they think won't fight back - disgusting

Where are the journalistic values of unbiased, factual reporting WJFW has to air this factually incorrect ad - disgusting. 

8 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

It doesn't help that it's the 'fourth' station in what is pretty much a market overwhelmingly ruled by WSAW-WZAW/Gray and WAOW/Quincy. The latter two would have publically called him out and Greta's Gray newscast would have had a topic to rail on against him for a week.

Conversely, WJFW still feels like it's run in a 1991 state of mind (that's when they stopped running children's shows in the afternoon since Wausau/Rhinelander didn't get a Fox affiliate until 1999; I'm not kidding), and it really feels like they went for easy pickings with this lawsuit...but judging from today's election result and the special election in May for Sean Duffy's seat, this could backfire on 45 very easily. Also, Priorities USA could simply tell WJFW 'OK, done with this ad', and there's no more leg to stand on.

5 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It doesn't help that it's the 'fourth' station in what is pretty much a market overwhelmingly ruled by WSAW-WZAW/Gray and WAOW/Quincy. The latter two would have publically called him out and Greta's Gray newscast would have had a topic to rail on against him for a week.

Conversely, WJFW still feels like it's run in a 1991 state of mind (that's when they stopped running children's shows in the afternoon since Wausau/Rhinelander didn't get a Fox affiliate until 1999; I'm not kidding), and it really feels like they went for easy pickings with this lawsuit...but judging from today's election result and the special election in May for Sean Duffy's seat, this could backfire on 45 very easily. Also, Priorities USA could simply tell WJFW 'OK, done with this ad', and there's no more leg to stand on.

I wonder if Rockfleet makes it out of this unscathed. They seem like Nexstar bait (WJFW being between WFRV and WLAX/WEUX, WVII being an ego move) and Nexstar would be an improvement over the status quo.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived