KCAL Set

When KCBS/KCAL moved to Studio City, both stations had separate sets and studios. KCAL shares its studio with the Sports Central set. I’ve noticed for the past several weeks however, KCAL’s broadcasts are originating from the KCBS set and studio, and Sports Central has been broadcasting from the City National Bank plaza in downtown. Is CBS building a new set for KCAL, or are they using the studio for something else? 

Sports is being done off site for social distancing reasons. Same for weather forecasts.  I was channel surfing last week and saw KCALs 4pm being done in the newsroom. I watched KCAL last night and the news was being done on the KCBS set (as previously mentioned). The KCBS/KCAL weekend anchor team anchor all shows: KCBS 5, 6 and 11 and KCAL 8, 9 and 10 so it make sense to just use one studio on the weekends. Also, I think it makes logistical sense during the pandemic to use one studio to minimize risk/spread. The newsroom makes sense as well since there are already people in the newsroom, albeit reduced staff, but no need to use the KCAL studio. I don't think there are any immediate plans to update the KCAL studio.

Archived