KTTV adds 6pm and 7pm

Devin

There is a new newscast at 6pm on FOX 11 with Elex Michaelson & Christine Devine and a daily coronavirus special at 7pm called Coronavirus Crisis with Elex Michaelson & Dr Drew

I can see KTTV keeping the 6 after the Coronavirus thread goes away. They might keep it thru the rest of the election cycle. I believe KTTV is the only FOX O&O without a 6pm newscast. There is a new ND at KTTV from Seattle that I'm sure would like to shake things up. I would like to see a different anchor team anchor the 6pm news, though. Elex and Christine are great, but a different team would be nice to break things up. I'd be ok with the noon team of Marla Tellez and Bob DeCastro. They could get in the building at 10:30am, anchor the noon and stick around for the 6 and be out of the building around 7.

Will definitely be an uphill battle as the 6pm news market is already crowed in LA...KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KMEX and KVEA all have news at 6pm with KTLA being #1 based off February 2020 sweeps.

2 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I can see KTTV keeping the 6 after the Coronavirus thread goes away. They might keep it thru the rest of the election cycle. I believe KTTV is the only FOX O&O without a 6pm newscast. There is a new ND at KTTV from Seattle that I'm sure would like to shake things up. I would like to see a different anchor team anchor the 6pm news, though. Elex and Christine are great, but a different team would be nice to break things up. I'd be ok with the noon team of Marla Tellez and Bob DeCastro. They could get in the building at 10:30am, anchor the noon and stick around for the 6 and be out of the building around 7.

Will definitely be an uphill battle as the 6pm news market is already crowed in LA...KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KMEX and KVEA all have news at 6pm with KTLA being #1 based off February 2020 sweeps.

I think you're right. Seems crazy that they have no weekend morning news too. I believe the new news director has a bit of a reputation of being a newshound, so it wouldn't surprise me if KTTV tried to ramp things up.

I strongly don't think their 6pm will be there for the long term. As mentioned above, its already a crowded field at that hour. And once this subsizes they'll get rid of it. 

The only reason I can think of is why they're going the extra 30 minutes is because on certain nights, Mayor Garcetti does his press conference around 5pm. And that pretty much eat up much of that hour.

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I strongly don't think their 6pm will be there for the long term.

Already mentioned...

On 4/12/2020 at 12:46 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

And both are actually temporary, just like how KTLA's noon and 7pm are temporary.

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I strongly don't think their 6pm will be there for the long term. As mentioned above, its already a crowded field at that hour. And once this subsizes they'll get rid of it. 

The only reason I can think of is why they're going the extra 30 minutes is because on certain nights, Mayor Garcetti does his press conference around 5pm. And that pretty much eat up much of that hour.

I think you have a point on the Garcetti pressers. But on the other hand, now would be a great time to launch a new newscast because ratings for everyone across the board are so high. If you're going to try to establish a new viewer habit, you might as well try to do it now instead of in normal times when nobody's watching KTTV.

I don't know whether or not these newscasts are going to go away at some point. The only place I've seen it indicate that they're temporary is on here. That might be the case, but given that there's a new GM and news director, then it wouldn't surprise me if KTTV is in for a little bit of a shakeup.

1 hour ago, C Block said:

I don't know whether or not these newscasts are going to go away at some point. The only place I've seen it indicate that they're temporary is on here. That might be the case, but given that there's a new GM and news director, then it wouldn't surprise me if KTTV is in for a little bit of a shakeup.

Bill Lamb will definitely push to keep that newscast...and you know behind the scenes he's agitating to do the things he did during his run on WDRB. Fox did not hire him just because, they hired him to help create a successful news operation. The dearth of new sitcoms in syndication within that early prime slot is coming up very soon, and it's best to pull the switch now rather than wait until fall 2022 when the situation gets dire.

38 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Bill Lamb will definitely push to keep that newscast...and you know behind the scenes he's agitating to do the things he did during his run on WDRB. Fox did not hire him just because, they hired him to help create a successful news operation. The dearth of new sitcoms in syndication within that early prime slot is coming up very soon, and it's best to pull the switch now rather than wait until fall 2022 when the situation gets dire.

Plus, according to either THR or Variety (I can't recall which at the moment), local news ratings for FOX O&Os are/were up 33% with everyone else being up between 16-24%, so a case could be made to keep it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, C Block said:

I think you're right. Seems crazy that they have no weekend morning news too. I believe the new news director has a bit of a reputation of being a newshound, so it wouldn't surprise me if KTTV tried to ramp things up.

But the FOX O&O in New York doesn't have weekend morning news either. In fact because Coronavirus updates happen in the weekend with Governor Coumo and Mayor De Blasio they bring a random web editor newsroom manager or newsroom editor, digital reporter, etc. Someone that's been on the air rarely besides on-air talent before and tap him/ or her to do the early morning special reports on Saturdays and Sundays 

Archived