John Young replaced by other announcers

John is getting up there and his style of "over the top" voicing is going out of fashion. Unfortunately it's not a huge surprise. I worked with John years ago and he was a great, flexibile VO guy but really not the kind of imaging voice people are looking for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucas Welter said:

Stations currently dropped Young by other announcers:

Scripps WTVF: Josh Goodman

WFTX: Chris Corley(died in 2019) and unknown announcer(current)

Quincy WKOW, WREX and WEEK: Craig Klein

WTVF was John Young's longtime flagship client and was the voice of the station from the mid-90s until just recently replaced.

• Like 3

Personally, I love John Young's V/O work. From his days at TBS, to the two Nashville stations, and every market in between, his voiceover work provides power and gravitas. As much awesomeness and class as the greats: Danny Dark (NBC), Ernie Anderson (ABC) and Don LaFontaine (movie trailers, CBS, UPN, FOX and NBC). So sad that he is being replaced by other voiceover talent. 

• Like 5

As an update to my above post, I think I may have finally identified the voiceover artist WMC replaced John Young with in 2018. Sounds like Dan Nachtrab to me, but compare for yourselves:

https://www.dannachtrab.com/

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,WMC

I created a separate thread for this back then, but didn't know if bumping it was a good idea.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...