Full Credits on Network Programming

memnews

I've only had primetime on intermittently in the background lately, so I've only seen this on two or three shows, all lighter fare from NBC (Game of Games, Little Big Shots, and I think The Wall as well). I imagine it's due to a lack of new programming right now to show ads for during the typically condensed credits. Has anyone else seen this on other shows/networks?

Days has also done it; probably it's more than anything that the position in NBC's master control that digests those credits into the L3 is considered non-essential and it just makes more sense to run them without doing so. Nothing to do with promotions since those are still being made easily.

Many ABC shows have been running them, as well. It especially feels like a fun throwback on the soap operas, where such a practice continued for awhile, even after primetime shows started running credit promos.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Many ABC shows have been running them, as well. It especially feels like a fun throwback on the soap operas, where such a practice continued for awhile, even after primetime shows started running credit promos.

I was shocked when the Rookie ended last week, it was a full black screen with credits and random production music from the show.

no promos, no local news inserts.

I am noticing this on NBC mostly. I assume it’s because they don’t have anything to promote. And it seems certain shows are trying to stretch their seasons a little longer because they don’t have much new content. 

You do have to wonder if this continues will local news try to put some update during the credits?

Or why doesn’t the network just promote the next show during the credits? 

The Simpsons has done this for years. It's actually a part of their contract with Fox. It used to get the usual treatment until some time in the mid-2000s, when a renewal contract forced them to play the full credits.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

NBC went back to condensed credits.

Maybe not completely. At least as of Monday (April 6), the network was still running show-designed credits during Days of Our Lives. BTW, from seeing them during episodes I’ve watched on NBC’s streaming platforms, I always thought the way Days designed their end credits nowadays didn’t look all that great, what with the mix of regular and italic kernings of Arial that they used, it looks kinda clunky and not quite adequate looking for TV.

Compare their current credits layout...

with how it looked in 1995 (and earlier) or even 2006:

Archived