CBC temporarily cancels local TV news across Canada during COVID-19 outbreak

ED2

5 hours ago, Journalist said:

The competition is not of concern for a public service like the CBC's local news. You should direct your attention to the markets that have lost their only source of television news thanks in part of CBC's decision.

In general?

The competition may not be of a concern, but CBC might be breaching its license requirement in terms of minimum hours of local news programming to be broadcast on their stations.

And yes, from what I heard, in general the 11 PM newscasts on CBC rate better than the 6 PM newscasts in some markets. 

3 hours ago, ED2 said:

The competition may not be of a concern, but CBC might be breaching its license requirement in terms of minimum hours of local news programming to be broadcast on their stations.

Of course. CBC still has a legal requirement to fulfill and this decision definitely comes into breach of this.

I'm just clarifying this point that CBC's local news is beyond ratings and "the competition", which is typically the case for local news south of the border.

21 hours ago, Journalist said:

Of course. CBC still has a legal requirement to fulfill and this decision definitely comes into breach of this.

I'm just clarifying this point that CBC's local news is beyond ratings and "the competition", which is typically the case for local news south of the border.

Fair, no argument there from me 😀

On a slightly different note, I always argued that the CBC should not be doing local news in the same timeslots as commercial television. Do they need to be on at 6 and 11? Why not 5 PM (I know they were on at 5, but that didn't last long), or 7 PM, or even doing shorter bulletins along side longer national bulletins (eg. 10 minutes of local news inside The National at 10:30 or something). The way they are doing local news now on TV at 6 and 11, where I am anyway, they are wasting the 30 minutes they have on a lot of national filler and not enough on local news. 

Archived