Social Distancing on Set

jerseyfla

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

And with the Today Show, Savannah is back with Hoda in Studio 1A this morning after anchoring the show from her basement for the past two weeks.

I was wondering about this. I just saw NBC News' Coronavirus special live on MSNBC and saw the two of them together which raised 2 questions.

1. Why is Savannah back at the studio if they set her up at home? Defeats the purpose of social distancing. 🙄

2. Why are the Today Show hosts up "late" hosting a 10pm program. (I assume it was live because MSNBC had a live bug up.)

5 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I was wondering about this. I just saw NBC News' Coronavirus special live on MSNBC and saw the two of them together which raised 2 questions.

1. Why is Savannah back at the studio if they set her up at home? Defeats the purpose of social distancing. 🙄

2. Why are the Today Show hosts up "late" hosting a 10pm program. (I assume it was live because MSNBC had a live bug up.)

She was only at home because she was in 14 days self isolation due to feeling unwell, not due to social distancing

9 hours ago, PTVNews said:

To your first question, she finished 2 weeks of isolation just as a precaution due to her kids. With the second one, they were doing a special on COVID-19 and the viewers were allowed to submit questions on Twitter.

WJW has a temporary set at the transmitter site. Today at noon was a test run, this is for social distancing and I'm sure in the event they need to get on air asap in case they need to leave the main station. This is part of the former O&O set that was installed in 2007 and was finally retired in August 2019.

20200401_123455.jpg

20200401_125248.jpg

14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

You mean the joke that's not funny when it's been done for the 4th time today?

30 minutes ago, news89 said:

WJW has a temporary set at the transmitter site. Today at noon was a test run, this is for social distancing and I'm sure in the event they need to get on air asap in case they need to leave the main station. This is part of the former O&O set that was installed in 2007 and was finally retired in August 2019.

20200401_123455.jpg

20200401_125248.jpg

The old is new again...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/article241678921.html

Very interesting article and video from The Charlotte Observer, Theoden Janes interviewed an anchor, reporter or meteorologist from each station about how they are managing social distancing/working from home. Morgan Fogarty had the best line, near the end of the article.

“It’s been a running joke every winter season that when everyone else gets snow days, we in TV news still have to come to work, and wouldn’t it be nice if we could just stay home for a snow day and do the news from our homes?” Fogarty says. “And now here we are, under circumstances none of us could have ever imagined — and don’t want.

“We miss being with each other, as teammates, in the newsroom. We miss being in face-to-face contact with the communities we serve. We miss it all — just like everyone does.”

— Morgan Fogarty, WCCB

ATLANTA UPDATE #3: On WXIA, Jeff Hullinger and Ron Jones are now anchoring from home with Cheryl Preheim in the studio; ditto for Ken Rodriguez and his sports segments on WAGA (Jeff Hill, Ryan Beesley, and I think Joanne Feldman are doing weather from their homes along with David Chandley).

Meanwhile, at my former longtime home/joke of a market that is Fairbanks, Alaska: KTVF's Sarah Hollister is now anchoring from her house while Mike Shultz is in the studio...and that's it.

And in Anchorage: No one does social distancing better than KTUU, with Mike Ross and Jackie Purcell staying put at the anchor and weather desks respectively (no Rebecca Palsha in the newsroom or at home). KTVA is probably doing the same; unsure about KYUR/KTBY.

BUT...what about the rest of the world, especially Australia, the rest of Canada (local CTV/Global news), and the local BBC/ITV newscasts in Britain???

Well I guess the Macon TV stations are taking the Governor’s shelter in place order really seriously. This morning both WMAZ and WGXA-DT2 were broadcasting last night’s CBS Evening News and America This Morning respectively. WMGT is showing recorded news reports and live weather from Meteorologist Dalton Mullinax’s house every 15 minutes. 

The Charlotte Observer went behind the scenes with 5 notable newscasters in the city (Brad Panovich of WCNC, Brigida Mack of WJZY, Molly Grantham of WBTV, Joe Bruno of WSOC-TV, and Morgan Fogarty of WCCB) on what they do working from home and how they setup to do their respective newscasts/reporting.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/article241678921.html

9 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

Well I guess the Macon TV stations are taking the Governor’s shelter in place order really seriously. This morning both WMAZ and WGXA-DT2 were broadcasting last night’s CBS Evening News and America This Morning respectively. WMGT is showing recorded news reports and live weather from Meteorologist Dalton Mullinax’s house every 15 minutes. 

CBS has substituted CBSEN for the CBS Morning News on an indefinite basis due to the Broadcast Center being shutdown; it's nationwide, so that must extend to the loop for stations which don't carry morning newscasts.

WMAQ has now completely separated the anchors (instead of just repositioning them at the desk) with 1 anchor at the weather center and the other anchor at the desk. Also, the ‘live desk’ has been moved from the newsroom to another location.

And WFLD reporter/fill-in anchor Tia Ewing is the first in the market (I believe) to wear both a face mask and blue gloves on-air. 

5AF44071-23EE-45B2-8336-4A5F30B6EB0A.thumb.jpeg.eeed5cb6f3840d9c910b2cfcc1d8f249.jpeg40741A00-049A-440B-B3B4-0E338B56F58C.thumb.jpeg.4cc1c1bb63ec776ecf8b87ba2811eb6a.jpegE6D34997-12A4-4BD0-9419-71EB9A542DDC.thumb.jpeg.0f993b115554a7a72655292fe501375f.jpeg

On 4/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, mrschimpf said:

CBS has substituted CBSEN for the CBS Morning News on an indefinite basis due to the Broadcast Center being shutdown; it's nationwide, so that must extend to the loop for stations which don't carry morning newscasts.

After communicating with them on Facebook, WMAZ had technical issues so they decided to nix the newscast for Friday morning. WMAZ has one anchor and meteorologist in studio, and their other anchor, anchoring from home in the morning. WGXA, who knows, they are a Sinclair owned station so I don't care to communicate with them anyway. They're a Fox affiliate with an ABC subchannel.

27 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Why didn't WMAZ ask WXIA to help fill in for them and let their anchors/reporters do the WMAZ news? Or do they not have that ability?

They could have done like what KOTV and KWTV did tonight and run a statewide newscast but this is Tegna were dealing with here so...

I've been watching WATE newscasts and there have been more people doing the news from home. To update, I just found out today on a Facebook Live video done by Lori Tucker and Bo Williams that she will be anchoring from home beginning tomorrow. Also, WATE meteorologist Victoria Cavaliere started doing the weather reports from home today.

In Pittsburgh, KDKA-TV is still doing the one anchor route for the 4-7pm block.  Ken Rice usually,  but sometime Susan koeppen or keistine sorensen. Stacy smith does the wall street update from home with other anchors contributing to segments. 

WPXI has two anchors, david Johnson on the main set and peggy finnegan on the side set.  Sports have been done from home and I noticed the weather started to be done from home, at least the two female backup weather people.

Can't comment on WTAE, their signal doesn't come in here since the switch to digital.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, NotInTV said:

Here in San Diego,

KNSD (NBC O&O) kept the anchors completely separate

KNSD-SocialDistancing.thumb.PNG.63e695a53d692a83f754d7118081fd55.PNG

KFMB (Tegna) kept their anchors on opposite ends of the desk

KFMB-SocialDistiancing.thumb.PNG.ea6c282e02029db26cda9bd196acd339.PNG

KWSB (Nexstar) kept their anchors fairly far apart

KSWB-SocialDistancing.thumb.PNG.939f9a70e14da612f6c84e5e6ea4ac32.PNG

KGTV (Scripps) isn't practicing social distancing

KGTV-SocialDistancing.thumb.PNG.996c50825cc37fd6883c873c682c6caf.PNG

and KUSI (McKinnon Broadcasting) is solo anchoring their newscasts

KUSI-SocialDistancing.thumb.PNG.e1e2ebf4fbbaf760e9cc358ece3e22e3.PNG

KBNT (Entravision) is also doing solo anchoring.

1149728988_ScreenShot2020-04-10at1_42_26AM.thumb.png.e8fa3fbb1915d3eebe079fe55d644ee1.png

While KUAN (Telemundo O&O) is keeping their anchors separate like their sister station, KNSD.

377981426_ScreenShot2020-04-10at3_27_50AM.png.832a7468b5aa45f8fd3d94adc8806fc4.png

1186748355_Screenshot_20200410-032350_Telemundo20.thumb.jpg.a32462052ef614d4ee33147c583ff6d7.jpg

Has anybody noticed a significant amount of audio problems with stations having 'social distancing' newscasts?

I'm not normally one to complain, but WBNS here in Columbus has had a ton of audio problems during their newscasts.

Just a few minutes ago, Scott Light tossed to meteorologist Ashley Baracy. She starts off her weathercast like normal and all of sudden Scott Light is talking (apparently to the producer) over Ashley for a good 10 seconds. 

Also a lot of problems adjusting audio levels with folks anchoring at home. Often starting out way too soft. 

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

Has anybody noticed a significant amount of audio problems with stations having 'social distancing' newscasts?

I'm not normally one to complain, but WBNS here in Columbus has had a ton of audio problems during their newscasts.

Just a few minutes ago, Scott Light tossed to meteorologist Ashley Baracy. She starts off her weathercast like normal and all of sudden Scott Light is talking (apparently to the producer) over Ashley for a good 10 seconds. 

Also a lot of problems adjusting audio levels with folks anchoring at home. Often starting out way too soft. 

Not too surprised. Internet connections (especially over wifi), producers and directors basically managing a show of nothing but remote live shots, user error, and other software/hardware problems beyond the talent's control, problems are bound to happen. Not to mention that a lot of TV stations evacuated personnel ASAP, so there hasn't been much time to note every bug and troubleshoot every problem before it happens.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

Not too surprised. Internet connections (especially over wifi), producers and directors basically managing a show of nothing but remote live shots, user error, and other software/hardware problems beyond the talent's control, problems are bound to happen. Not to mention that a lot of TV stations evacuated personnel ASAP, so there hasn't been much time to note every bug and troubleshoot every problem before it happens.

Audio is something you don't really notice until something goes wrong. But I haven't noticed similar problems at WCMH or WSYX.  I mean, WBNS could have some new folks operating the audio board. IDK but it's gotta be embarassing. It's been every newscast no matter what time of day and a consistent problem with audio not being cued up, too low or getting talent talking over someone else. 

Archived