Social Distancing on Set

jerseyfla

3 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

UPDATE: On WSB, Justin Farmer and Jorge Estevez have been anchoring at the Bulldogs Gameday studio rather than the newsroom with Zach Klein outside the building; WAGA had Cody Chaffins doing his sports segments at home but he and Justin Felder are for right now doing general assignment reporting while David Chandley is doing weather from home (still no sign of Ken Rodriguez); WXIA/WATL, Chris Holcomb now doing his weather from home with Jeff Hullinger the only in-studio anchor now; on WGCL/WPCH, Shon Gables is anchoring from home.

Not sure what the morning newscasts are looking like for Atlanta, as I'm not really an early riser.  WSB, if they have Fred Blankenshipb Linda Stouffer, Carol Sbarge, Brian Monahan, and Mark Arum spread out or in separate studios or home.  2 nights ago, with WSB weather, I saw where Brad Nitz was home and Glenn Burns in studio at chromakey wall.  WAGA, not sure what Good Day Atlanta team's social diatancing looks like.  Not sure of WXIA's Morning Rush team social distancing set-up, and whether Atlanta & Company show is still doing shows or is on hiatus.  WGCL, if they have Karyn Greer and Gurvir Dhindsa spread out or home.  AJC Radio & TV Talk reported of 2 WGCL employees (no names released) getting the virus... https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/cbs46-wgcl-has-two-employees-with-covid/rZZLzxfTs1NP1zRw90SifL/, and hopefully their facility hasn't had to shutdown, and their newscasts relocate.  WUPA is still showing WBZ simulcast.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our two-shots are six-feet apart, but it doesn't look that way on TV. In the morning anyway, we've taken to putting on anchor in studio-A, the other in studio-B (the brick wall, so it looks like evening at the improv). We can put a third person in the kitchen. With the weather turning nice, the meteorologists can do more segments outside. I've been doing more single-anchor shots at the various monitors in studio-A, as opposed to establishing anchors with a 2-shot.

I'm not sure when they started doing this, but apparently KXAS has decided to move back to their old 5am start for their morning news (with Early Today at 4:30am).  I haven't heard them mention why, but I'm guessing with so many of the anchors at home, they didn't want to wake their families up at the earlier hour.  Grant Johnston's weather segments were especially of the hushed-tone variety early on.

2 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

I haven't heard them mention why, but I'm guessing with so many of the anchors at home, they didn't want to wake their families up at the earlier hour.

Expect to see this a lot more temporarily on many more stations, since the early shows are designed to be mainly traffic/weather checks for early commuters who are simply not commuting. The crews or hired stringers aren't out there covering every late night fender bender or fire like they usually are, so the time-filler at that time of morning just doesn't exist right now, either.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, MorningNews said:

The work-from-hole is becoming a little gimmicky to me. Journalists are considered essential workers and the whole working from home thing (unless necessary) is getting old. If this were to go on for months, would reporters still be permitted to work from their homes by then? Highly doubtful.

We have the technology, why not? Eventually the fad will fade like most fads do.  Its interesting times indeed.

1 hour ago, Superdude said:

We have the technology, why not? Eventually the fad will fade like most fads do.  Its interesting times indeed.

on paper it feels more lazy than gimmicky but at end of the day, safety first. would you want someone (god forbid) to develop the virus + go thru deep cleaning of a building, making it an inconvenience to work, enforcing more people to work from home?  Also you can't compare the media industry from other fields (those that don't involve telecommunications) I agreed with above statement. That said I'd foolishly would like to see more people do this work at home even when the virus curbs down the road here + there. New normal is already reflective instead of a full team on a grandiose set. Ya know how those bean counters love to cut costs.

In the Raleigh-Durham market it's a unique situation, they are practicing social distancing, AT WTVD (The Market Leader and ABC O&O) with its two studios in Raleigh and Durham the Durham studios both anchors are apart on different sides of the desk or are in the "Breaking News Center" or another side of the set doing the news. For its Raleigh studios a little smaller desk but there separate on both sides, where the 3x4 monitor is shown instead in the smaller center. Weather pretty much being done out of Raleigh on all newscast. Since the Raleigh edition are the Morning, Noon, and 4 P.M., and 5:30 P.M. While Sports is being done entirely out of the Home Office of Mark Armstrong (Former WLFL sports anchor,  who was laid-off by those monsters art Sinclair shuttering there news department. They used to be crosstown rivals).

WRAL/WRAZ, (The NBC/Fox Duopoly) nothing new there farther apart on there oddly shaped European-style desk with there European style set. But as the anchors demonstrate there in arms length of each other the hand still touch so there far apart, and six feet even with the weird desk. Oh WRAL have its sports anchors reporting on the field now with general news.

WNCN (The CBS last place station) I managed to get some info from them looks like there anchor at the another on a side of a desk on a small table usually by a monitor, they've got the smallest news desk in the market. the Sunday Night Sport overtime thing they do Sundays at 11:35 P.M, they did segment different part of there small studio while at the end of the show they were split ion both side of a big monitor wall.

WUVC, (The Univision O&O and only Spanish newscast in the market compared to it's Spanish-language competitor WRTD-CD Telemundo O&O in the market) they've completely have there staff at home with an anchor in studio and the newscastr are pre-taped with it airing at 6 P.M. and repeated 11 P.M. They usually both live in those time slots. There pretaped very few times every once in a while, or may even take a day off.

I have some photos later, when i update this post to see what i'm talking about.

19 hours ago, Gavin said:

In the Raleigh-Durham market it's a unique situation, they are practicing social distancing, AT WTVD (The Market Leader and ABC O&O) with its two studios in Raleigh and Durham the Durham studios both anchors are apart on different sides of the desk or are in the "Breaking News Center" or another side of the set doing the news. For its Raleigh studios a little smaller desk but there separate on both sides, where the 3x4 monitor is shown instead in the smaller center. Weather pretty much being done out of Raleigh on all newscast. Since the Raleigh edition are the Morning, Noon, and 4 P.M., and 5:30 P.M. While Sports is being done entirely out of the Home Office of Mark Armstrong (Former WLFL sports anchor,  who was laid-off by those monsters art Sinclair shuttering there news department. They used to be crosstown rivals).

WRAL/WRAZ, (The NBC/Fox Duopoly) nothing new there farther apart on there oddly shaped European-style desk with there European style set. But as the anchors demonstrate there in arms length of each other the hand still touch so there far apart, and six feet even with the weird desk. Oh WRAL have its sports anchors reporting on the field now with general news.

WNCN (The CBS last place station) I managed to get some info from them looks like there anchor at the another on a side of a desk on a small table usually by a monitor, they've got the smallest news desk in the market. the Sunday Night Sport overtime thing they do Sundays at 11:35 P.M, they did segment different part of there small studio while at the end of the show they were split ion both side of a big monitor wall.

WUVC, (The Univision O&O and only Spanish newscast in the market compared to it's Spanish-language competitor WRTD-CD Telemundo O&O in the market) they've completely have there staff at home with an anchor in studio and the newscastr are pre-taped with it airing at 6 P.M. and repeated 11 P.M. They usually both live in those time slots. There pretaped very few times every once in a while, or may even take a day off.

I have some photos later, when i update this post to see what i'm talking about.

When did WTVD become the market leader? WRAL still leads; because WRAL NBC and they're now second place. That new' just asking?

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

When did WTVD become the market leader? WRAL still leads; because WRAL NBC and they're now second place. That new' just asking?

It kinda complicated, WTVD wins in some timeslots WRAL does too. WTVD wins Mornings, Noon, 4PM and 11PM while WRAL wins the rest, WRAL also cheats simulcasting the morning and 4pm news on WRAZ while independently produce news for then 7am-10am and 10pm. WNCN is tryna fight WTVD for second place (they've been tryna do that for a few years) but it's unlikely. WTVD takes weekend mornings at 6am, 7am, 9am. Not sure about weekend evenings I'll have to contact my acquainted who local news for our local paper the News & Observer for a complete and I'll give you it but that's all I know.

46 minutes ago, SFTV said:

KTVU now doing newscasts from home. No one in the studio right now.

Wonder if that'll just be a weekend thing, since (I assume) both anchors report on weekdays and are more at risk for exposure.

12 hours ago, SFTV said:

KTVU now doing newscasts from home. No one in the studio right now.

88A428F9-4795-42DB-A8CA-8BE6026E5471.jpeg

I wonder if they keep somebody in the building prepared to take over just in case whatever streaming platform they're using goes down.   It would be wise if they did.

Last night on Judge Jeanine's show on Fox News, she was having "technical difficulties" from her remote live shot forcing a reporter in the newsroom to start the show in place of her until she took over at the start of the B-block.

22 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I wonder if they keep somebody in the building prepared to take over just in case whatever streaming platform they're using goes down.   It would be wise if they did.

Last night on Judge Jeanine's show on Fox News, she was having "technical difficulties" from her remote live shot forcing a reporter in the newsroom to start the show in place of her until she took over at the start of the B-block.

well it seems in some live reports, also including KTVU, I’ve seen the Skype logo in the corner, Xoom and probably FaceTime 

KUSA on the weekends has one person on set, one at home and weather from home, sports from the Information Center.   Weekdays the two anchors are separated on set & weather is done from the weather center and sports is done from the Information Center.

KCNC on the weekends 1 anchor  for the 5 & 10, weather from the Colorado Weather Center, sports from the interview area. (I haven't seen a weekday newscast yet to know what they are doing)

KMGH I haven't watched them in a week or so.

KDVR  2 anchors were on set last night, weather was done from the pinpoint weather center, no sports segment.

KWGN 2 anchors were on set last night, weather was done from the green screen and again no sports segment.

KDEN I haven't watched them, so i don't know.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, justin2kx said:

That said I'd foolishly would like to see more people do this work at home even when the virus curbs down the road here + there. 

I can’t imagine many on-air people would want to work from home unless they absolutely have to. While the setup is simple enough it seems, the disruption it brings to family life/time isn’t ideal. 

22 minutes ago, jase said:

I can’t imagine many on-air people would want to work from home unless they absolutely have to. While the setup is simple enough it seems, the disruption it brings to family life/time isn’t ideal. 

Staying home with your own family is less risky than having to travel to and from work, where many others have to do the same, making it more risky for transmission.  If the family is homebound and healthy, this is what keeps them safe.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Staying home with your own family is less risky than having to travel to and from work, where many others have to do the same, making it more risky for transmission.  If the family is homebound and healthy, this is what keeps them safe.

I was referring to life after this crisis. Obviously, staying home reduces ones risk, but the risk remains nevertheless because someone in your household will have to venture outside (regardless of how often or how long). 

On 3/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, MorningNews said:

Robin Roberts will be anchoring GMA from home until further notice as the guidance of her doctor who was interviewed live on GMA this morning.

George now anchoring from his home after his wife came down with symptoms.

Amy and Michael remain in the studio.

Archived