Social Distancing on Set

jerseyfla

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

WNBC New York meteorologist Janice Huff broadcast the weather from her home in NJ this evening.  

Also on WNBC, Chuck Scarborough is co anchoring from his home with Natalie Pasquarella and Stefan Holt in the studio. 

Update from Chicago: Things have really evolved in the last week & a half with more and more people working from home. This is a look at things this AM. Tried to get Telemundo Chicago, but I must have missed their newscast.

Worth noting... meteorologists from WBBM, WMAQ, WLS & WFLD all working from home, all traffic personnel working from home (with WFLD cutting traffic reports altogether). The poor traffic guy from Univision Chicago must have just woke up! 

02464965-65AA-4267-ABC4-1668DEB1B5B1.thumb.jpeg.73ac905301fd90f35036bf1279c565fa.jpeg

68E8D760-40FC-49B9-95CD-1701C45A1949.thumb.jpeg.8d2464cc173a4915182c0e96091d10f0.jpeg

6153B49F-8BD7-448B-9062-A780231376D3.thumb.jpeg.1fbe2bd65e204d0da68efb0f2e59a42c.jpeg

443182AC-2CB3-43AA-9464-A37B3DD07417.thumb.jpeg.4716871ce67b87b81f70eef204447198.jpeg

B611396E-A503-47F5-96FB-5D0B2E88E14F.thumb.jpeg.811e76ac61958d840ead6565eaaf9ef4.jpegFE0DEF25-F96C-4A5D-91EE-D13E2A5BC615.thumb.jpeg.3b661d444fba32def78e6f23eac8da20.jpeg595DF950-9F1D-4195-A160-A1A6E7382E7F.thumb.jpeg.4d506fb2ff8ee4c0f3923f9f7ced0774.jpegD628AA01-403C-4F8D-A681-63CEE9B6CC65.thumb.jpeg.14e6f7eeccd42179f3d05eeee8443913.jpegA0F38A13-0086-4591-A0F7-E7E8FDA33293.thumb.jpeg.524836f9135839284b9cec37eca7e16c.jpeg

22 hours ago, Sendir said:

Agreed. I think he’s broadcasting from his house. 

An article in today's Times confirmed NBC put a home studio in for him.  He is broadcasting from home this week in order to reduce the number of folks at 30 Rock each week.  Stephanie Ruhle and Nicole Wallace are doing the same on MSNBC.  On Ch. 4, Only Janice Huff our of the weather dept.  Chuck Scarborough co-anchored the 6 pm without Stefan Holt today (yesterday may have been a trial, thus three anchors).  I'm not sure if it is part of the reduction of staff at 30 Rock or his age.  It will be interesting to see if different folks broadcast from home next week.

On 3/20/2020 at 11:44 PM, Amra said:

WFTV is having Greg and Martha split up

WTMO has the anchors in the same studio but at opposite ends of the desks.

WKMG’s making good use of those monitors, and the entire width of that desk. The way the camera acts, you would think that studio is larger. 

9B003BE0-A404-4BFE-8158-A1B688A030E1.png

4C7DA7C7-212C-45AE-B9C7-522BA21A7083.jpeg

On 3/22/2020 at 12:40 PM, jase said:

Yeah...this seems like a overreaction. I get attempting to promote social distancing, etc.., but the flip side of it is that you are also feeding into the fear and paranoia out there too. I wish more thought was being given to social distancing (i.e...clearly weighing the pros and cons).

Highly disagree with this take. All levels of government are stressing people to social distance and to stay home, and the fact the Prime Minister begged on national television about this, and we are seeing anchors reporting from their bedrooms or balconies (like Friesen) only stresses the seriousness of this notion.

I mean, just look at these people in Vancouver yesterday. Totally shook.

Anyways, CBC The National's Adrienne Arsenault is now reporting at home. Andrew Chang is at studio:

image.thumb.png.0841efa3d215e115de7e788498bc68f4.png

image.thumb.png.f44c346aa7cbf693c7804c27fa4ed924.png

I think maintaining a sense of ‘normalcy’ while also educating the general public about social distancing are equally important.

For example..David Muir has shown up to work everyday even though I’m sure he could work from home. As someone who is currently on medical leave and has a serious underlying medical condition (cancer), I feel a sense of comfort in knowing that WNT is no different (really) today than it was a month ago. I’m sure there are others out there that feel like I do.

It’s the unevenness (whether it’s local or national) of SD coupled with the daily reminders (as if anyone has forgotten) of how serious this is that can take a toll on people. All I’m suggesting is finding a balance in regards to SD to create/maintain a sense of normalcy. Having 4 people in 4 different locations isn’t it imo.

I know that WOIO and WJW are at least keeping everyone at the station.

WJW: The anchors are sitting farther apart, but business as usual otherwise.

WOIO: One anchor is on the main desk while another anchor is in the streetside studio.

7 hours ago, jase said:

I think maintaining a sense of ‘normalcy’ while also educating the general public about social distancing are equally important.

For example..David Muir has shown up to work everyday even though I’m sure he could work from home. As someone who is currently on medical leave and has a serious underlying medical condition (cancer), I feel a sense of comfort in knowing that WNT is no different (really) today than it was a month ago. I’m sure there are others out there that feel like I do.

It’s the unevenness (whether it’s local or national) of SD coupled with the daily reminders (as if anyone has forgotten) of how serious this is that can take a toll on people. All I’m suggesting is finding a balance in regards to SD to create/maintain a sense of normalcy. Having 4 people in 4 different locations isn’t it imo.

The work-from-hole is becoming a little gimmicky to me. Journalists are considered essential workers and the whole working from home thing (unless necessary) is getting old. If this were to go on for months, would reporters still be permitted to work from their homes by then? Highly doubtful.

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I know that WOIO and WJW are at least keeping everyone at the station.

WJW: The anchors are sitting farther apart, but business as usual otherwise.

WOIO: One anchor is on the main desk while another anchor is in the streetside studio.

Well Andre Bernier and Melissa Mack are doing weather from their homes. AJ Colby does do the 10pm weather from the studio. 

This morning I noticed KXAS was the most-distanced I've seen since all this started.  Laura Harris (co-anchor) was at home (first time I'd seen her off-set), Grant Johnston was still doing weather from home, and another first-see, Samantha Davies was doing traffic from her home.  Deborah Ferguson (co-anchor) was the only one of the 4 in-studio.

Not sure where else this information belongs, but WMC and the Bounce network have partnered with Shelby County Schools to air 23 hours of education lessons per week beginning Thursday. Displaced Bounce programming will move from Channel 5.2 to 5.5.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, Sendir said:

Agreed. I think he’s broadcasting from his house. 

He did. Recently, he anchored the breaking news coverage of the presser and the Nightly News from his home studio as well.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, atlnewsfan03 said:

Atlanta...

WSB 2: separated.  As of tonight's 11PM news, Jovita Moore at main anchor desk.  Jorge Estevez in the stage right story presentation area.  Zach Klein was in sports bunker area of WSB-TV building, not in actual news studio.  Didn't catch weather to see if Brad Nitz was in weather area.

WAGA 5: 10PM had Russ Spencer and Courtney Bryant in separate parts of the studio.  11PM had Tom Haynes solo.  Chief meteorologist David Chandley doing weather at chromakey wall.  Not sure if Ken Rodriguez is doing sports segment in studio or the sports bunker area of WAGA-TV building.

WXIA 11 & WATL 36: prime-time newscast anchors looked to be separated.  11PM anchors separated.  Didn't catch the weather, to see whether Chris Holcomb was in studio.  I'm thinking sports segments to be on hiatus.

WGCL 46 & WPCH 17: meteorologist at home.  11PM, Ella Dorsey presenting weather from what looks to be her residence.  Brittany Murphy and Shon Gables separated.  Rick Folbaum was off.  Fred Kalil on opposite side of the studio.

WUPA 69: WCBS-produced CW 69 News at 10 has been on hiatus for over a week, and is showing WBZ 4 out of Boston, which is also doing CBSN National as regular CBSN National broadcast is still on hiatus.

Have no vids or screencap pics to show.  These are observations I've made by surfing channels.

UPDATE: On WSB, Justin Farmer and Jorge Estevez have been anchoring at the Bulldogs Gameday studio rather than the newsroom with Zach Klein outside the building; WAGA had Cody Chaffins doing his sports segments at home but he and Justin Felder are for right now doing general assignment reporting while David Chandley is doing weather from home (still no sign of Ken Rodriguez); WXIA/WATL, Chris Holcomb now doing his weather from home with Jeff Hullinger the only in-studio anchor now; on WGCL/WPCH, Shon Gables is anchoring from home.

On WATE in Knoxville, some of the reporters are doing reports from their homes. As a matter of fact, meteorologist Ken Weathers just did his first weather reports from his home due to the COVID-19 outbreak and is the only WATE weather personality doing reports from home. As for the anchors, the news and sports anchors are still on the set unless things change. I'll keep you posted.

Archived