ABC News TV3

Camera1

I'm starting a new TV3 thread here since all the posts about the new set are getting stacked on the WNT thread. 

So far, we've seen election coverage and the 20/20 Coronavirus broadcast from the rebuilt studio.  Tomorrow morning we are expecting weekend GMA to return from TSS.  Testing is going on today.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This desk made it's debut on 20/20 using TV3 tonight and I wonder if it'll be the desk we see for WNT? Possible GMA too, but I assume they'll have a more branded desk. 

{With the world falling apart, I know no one is paying much attention to this thread anymore. However, my college graduation from j-school was just cancelled so I need something to make me happy.}

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 11.20.08 PM.png

6 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

This desk made it's debut on 20/20 using TV3 tonight and I wonder if it'll be the desk we see for WNT? Possible GMA too, but I assume they'll have a more branded desk. 

{With the world falling apart, I know no one is paying much attention to this thread anymore. However, my college graduation from j-school was just cancelled so I need something to make me happy.}

Sorry, about your J-school class graduation, hopefully it's gets rescheduled or they mail you the diploma  Anyways that a pretty lame desk I like the other desk better it's better than this one and along with the monitor wall it can do more graphical work.

2 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

I'm sorry to hear your graduation was cancelled.  I hope everything works out well for you.

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Sorry, about your J-school class graduation, hopefully it's gets rescheduled or they mail you the diploma  Anyways that a pretty lame desk I like the other desk better it's better than this one and along with the monitor wall it can do more graphical work.

I agree.  I hope that's not the desk WNT will use when they finally move back into TV3.  I expect something a little more on the cutting edge, especially for ABC.

The election graphics were one thing, but the stuff they have loaded in the walls during that special makes the entire set just WAY too busy, and extremely visually distracting. There is so much going on in that screenshot that I didn't even notice some of the people in it at first glance.

I think we finally have a case of a designer jumping the shark in regards to monitor walls.

At least this set has an expiration date on it.

It would be nice if they picked a color and stuck with it, for the Primetime hour. The talent would pop better. That said, some camera angles don't work as well as others, and hopefully they'll adequately sort that out before regular usage.

Meanwhile, the overnight broadcasts have adopted a split anchor team, with Kenneth on the WNT temp set, and Zohreen still at the ABC News Live desk. If only they had a nice, new, nearby studio space where they could appear together, but still with appropriate distance between them. (😉)

544397611_20200317_0329292.thumb.jpg.c13d8d735271056f32e438ad436a403e.jpg

50 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

What gets me is why they don't just have the anchors seated a bit further apart at the desk and then just have a slightly wider camera shot.  

I couldn’t agree more. Honestly, most setups (whether it’s local or national) have two people sitting at a desk that could ideally accommodate 4 people. Plus, the majority of the time, it’s just those 2 people sitting together for longer than a minute. Unless people are making out during the commercial break, simply moving them apart is enough.

This crisis isn’t going to be over in 2 weeks, 2 months or the end of the year. The second someone decides to stop ‘social distancing,’ it gives the viewers the impression that all is good in the world. It’s better to have not done it in the first place.

It’s a totally different story if you’re talking about a newsroom, control room or any other very small space not a big studio.

2 hours ago, who?cares said:

The risers for most desks aren't long enough to have two people sitting at them (6 feet apart) and still be on the riser. Ours isn't.

The 6 feet apart thing seems more like a general rule than an absolute must. Meaning..if you’re  4 or 5 feet away, it’s not like you’re at a greater risk. My point is that being on opposite sides of the set, in the newsroom, etc... is extreme and unnecessary.

It's setting an example. Simple as that. Some broadcasters are still tweaking their arrangements, and we'll all adjust in pretty quick order, as there'll certainly be greater things to worry about in the coming weeks. Stations only started this practice after the federal recommendations were made, and I'd imagine that things will start returning to "normal" when the same agencies retract said guidelines. When that is, no one knows, but there is a horizon to every aspect of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious to see where things stand with this studio. While it’s certainly not important during a global pandemic. I’m surprised they haven’t used this time to get their new studio front and center. 

WNT was the most watched show on television last week with under 13 million viewers.

• 1 month later...

It looks nice enough for what they're doing today and the customization of the set for different themes is nice but overall I'm still not a fan of it. Incredibly massive space with little depth or substance and I can't see how it'll be used regularly outside of special coverage. I do not like it.

What I've seen so far is quite a bit of versatility and flexibility. I like the potential of it, but there's no telling how it will be used day to day. There's pros and cons in that unknown, but there appears to be more ways to change the visuals than the old set.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

It looks nice enough for what they're doing today and the customization of the set for different themes is nice but overall I'm still not a fan of it. Incredibly massive space with little depth or substance and I can't see how it'll be used regularly outside of special coverage. I do not like it.

I somewhat agree. My guess is that they’re probably still figuring out how to use it fully. To me, it’s perfect for WNT, Nightline & WNN. GMA Weekend should stay in Times Square.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, jase said:

I somewhat agree. My guess is that they’re probably still figuring out how to use it fully. To me, it’s perfect for WNT, Nightline & WNN. GMA Weekend should stay in Times Square.

I would agree putting GMA Weekend in Times Square it would make equal to the weekday editions. Furthermore there are already on a good track with the three-anchor format. Let’s continue the progress on the GMA Weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Camera1 said:

Tucked away in a corner of TV-3, this tiny workhorse set has been the home of the highest ratings for WNT in decades.  

IMG_20200531_094156504.jpg

IMG_20200531_094208146.jpg

IMG_20200531_094218539.jpg

When is the new TV3 set going to launch?

Archived