Why don't linear streaming news channels like CBSN launch as OTA subchanneld?

zeebre12

Why don't linear streaming news channels like CBSN launch as subchannel OTA? The 3 big broadcasters NBC, ABC and ABC have launched linear streaming news channels that are exclusive to streaming. Why don't they also launch them as subchannels OTA? It seems logical as you have a linear feed ready to go already? Surely OTA is just another platform to broadcast. A subchannel called Newsnet launched in January similar to these streaming channels but OTA. Why would they not?

• 1 month later...

I Think CBS NEWS & ABC NEWS Are missing opportunities here.  I agree with you..  

I think in ABC's case it would be a huge benefit to the struggling ABC NEWS unit.  

One more thing----CBSN is more live than ABCNEWS Live, at least with CBS they go from story to story.  ABC NEWS Live appears to be on a tape loop, if you watch for 35 mins you will see the same stories & interviews again..

If they did launch as an OTA subchannel, they would also have to talk to cable and satellite companies for channel space which would subject them to blackouts if CBS and the providers can't agree on a deal. If they stream directly on their website, they don't need to worry about that. 

5 minutes ago, NYTV said:

If they did launch as an OTA subchannel, they would also have to talk to cable and satellite companies for channel space which would subject them to blackouts if CBS and the providers can't agree on a deal. If they stream directly on their website, they don't need to worry about that. 

With Viacom now in the mix, and ad revenue getting eviscerated across the board, I get the sense that is less important.  That goes for the national CBSN, as well as the locals. The Viacom arm of ViacomCBS will want to find a way to generate revenue quickly.

Archived