Gray Bidding on TEGNA - $8.5 BILLION (UPDATE: They're out)

TSSZNews
Message added by Weeters

Keep speculation in the speculation board. Do not post speculation here.

No foaming.

These threads have a history of getting out of hand WAY too fast. I will start handing out bans if people cannot control their emotions.

TEGNA is in a no win it's either be sold to Gray or Apollo or be taken over by Soo Kim and Standard Media and TEGNA doesn't want to be with Standard Media. Looks like Gray and TEGNA have to sell a lot of TV stations since there is a lot of the same TV markets West Michigan isn't going to be none since neither Gray or Apollo own any TV stations in West Michigan. TEGNA is going to be sold late this year maybe next year when the FCC approves Gray or Apollo whoever gets TEGNA in a bidding war.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2020 at 3:27 AM, ColumbusNewsFan said:

Not going to lie here, I low key want Apollo/Cox to get the stations here and bring that COX Stations Streaming App. It is literally the best one out there that I've use!

I hate the WFXT stream. Terrible audio and stupid slides during commercials (they USED to stream everything including commercials but not anymore.) I love that Tegna streams everything in the clear including commercials and the audio and video quality is excellent.

35 minutes ago, newsbot said:

I hate the WFXT stream. Terrible audio and stupid slides during commercials (they USED to stream everything including commercials but not anymore.) I love that Tegna streams everything in the clear including commercials and the audio and video quality is excellent.

Some Tegna stations forget to turn off the stream after newscasts. I remember streaming WCNC and a few minutes of the Today Show got through because they forgot to cut it off.

15 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Some Tegna stations forget to turn off the stream after newscasts. I remember streaming WCNC and a few minutes of the Today Show got through because they forgot to cut it off.

Oh my 

1 hour ago, Lucas Welter said:

WNEP, KFSM, WTOL and other Gray stations still use streaming by Livestream(Vimeo).

These are relics of Tribune and Raycom.  Livestream used to have their streams available on their Roku app but it's gotten harder to find them.  The killer was when Nexstar took over Media General, and not only took away their Livestream use, but took the legacy MG stations off of NewsOn.   Tribune was another Livestream client, but history will soon repeat itself here.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:29 AM, PTVNews said:

So why is Tegna so sought after? Why isn't Tegna doing the acquiring?

I think one of them is that they only have one class of stock, unlike Gray or Scripps, and their stock price is far lower than Nexstar's, thus they're an easy target.

39 minutes ago, channel2 said:

I think one of them is that they only have one class of stock, unlike Gray or Scripps, and their stock price is far lower than Nexstar's, thus they're an easy target.

Also the internal battles may be an issue as well for Tegna.

As I understand it, Tegna's streaming scheduling protocol is an automated process based on timers.

6 hours ago, Lucas Welter said:

WNEP, KFSM, WTOL and other Gray stations still use streaming by Livestream(Vimeo).

Around here they use Gray's in-house solution (Syncbak) which also powers CBS All Access. Integration with NewsON is horrendous.

35 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I actually like Gray's streaming capabilities a lot more than Tegna.  Unlike Tegna, Gray stations typically loop newscasts continuously so I can catch a newscast if I miss it live.  

With NewsON you can watch any Tegna newscast from the current or previous day.

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

With NewsON you can watch any Tegna newscast from the current or previous day.

That's true of literally every NewsON client station, whether owned/operated by Gray, Tegna, Sinclair, Cox, Meredith, Hearst, etc. I was kinda aware of this already, but I noticed this in particular while watching WSMV and WZTV's newscasts on NewsON's iOS app throughout last week while following the coverage of the Nashville/Middle Tennessee twisters.

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

These are relics of Tribune and Raycom.  Livestream used to have their streams available on their Roku app but it's gotten harder to find them.  The killer was when Nexstar took over Media General, and not only took away their Livestream use, but took the legacy MG stations off of NewsOn.   Tribune was another Livestream client, but history will soon repeat itself here.

Tribune stations haven't been on Livestream for a bit now... At least KTLA and KSWB haven't been.

36 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

Yes as WBNS is not on NewsOn as well as WTOL too. The only Ohio Tegna station on News ON is WKYC.

That's weird because sister station WTHR is on there. 

On 3/6/2020 at 2:28 PM, jbnews said:

What do you mean? Do you think this will all fall through?

No, I’m not implying that at all. We’ve seen a number of mergers and acquisitions go down in the last several years, and as we all know, there are a number of cities involved where certain stations have to be sold. This proposed merger is just such an example, but the number of markets in this case in which there are stations that have to be sold is staggering....

29 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Annnnnnnd Gray is out.

Not a surprise given that Gray's stocks have plummeted ever since they submitted an offer for Tegna.

Right now if you're someone like Meredith, Gray and other media companies that are publically traded and doesn't have the sum of cash needed to pull off a purchase like this, timing is not very good for that kinds of deals (and it didn't help that they had too many overlaps and they couldn't do an all cash offer)

The bottom line here is right now Tegna is going to sell to someone that has the deepest pockets during this period of uncertainty (and right now that's going to be companies like Allen and Apollo) otherwise Tegna would eventually face a takeover.

I'm sure if Tegna could they would probably do what everybody in Discord has been suggesting to do (which is to remain where they're at right now) but they know that by doing that they risk being taken over by Soo Kim so there's not a whole lot Tegna can do except selling.

Archived