Gray Bidding on TEGNA - $8.5 BILLION (UPDATE: They're out)

TSSZNews
Message added by Weeters

Keep speculation in the speculation board. Do not post speculation here.

No foaming.

These threads have a history of getting out of hand WAY too fast. I will start handing out bans if people cannot control their emotions.

Gray/Tegna Conflict Markets

Huntsville - WAFF & WZDX

Tucson - KOLD & KMSB

Tampa - WTSP & WWSB

Boise - KTVB & KNIN

Quad Cities - KWQC & WQAD

Louisville - WAVE & WHAS

New Orleans - WVUE & WWL

Bangor - WABI & WLBZ

Charlotte - WBTV & WCNC

Cleveland - WOIO & WKYC

Toledo - WTVG & WTOL

Columbia, SC - WIS & WLTX

Knoxville - WVLT & WBIR

Memphis - WMC & WATN

Midland - KOSA & KWES

Tyler, TX - KLTV/KTRE & KYTX

Waco - KWTX & KCEN

Let the Speculation Begin!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gray owns KLTV & KTRE (which they just got by acquiring Raycom).  Tegna owns KYTX.  Nexstar already owns KETK & KFXK, so they couldn't be buyers.

Hard to believe the little out of the way Tyler/Longview market goes from local and/or regional owners, all the way to the big kahunas, who themselves want to tussle or at least get bigger, in a relatively short time.

Of course, we don't know yet whether this will be approved or not.  But amazing and interesting.

This would create a mess in the Memphis and Knoxville markets since Gray owns WMC-TV and WVLT respectively while TEGNA owns WATN/WLMT along with WBIR. Not only that, but Louisville, Huntsville, Charlotte, New Orleans, Cleveland, Toledo, Odessa/Midland, Waco, Tyler/Longview, and Bryan/College Station are all conflicts.

2 hours ago, ScottJ said:

According to Reuters, Apollo Global Management has also expressed interest in Tegna.

That would mean having to unload stations in Atlanta, Seattle, Memphis, Jacksonville, Charlotte, and Spokane (which happened as a result of Cox's merger with Northwest via Apollo) where Cox and TEGNA already have conflicting assets.

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If WWSB is out of the top 4, they could be paired with WTSP.  The question is, would it put WWSB's news department, and/or the ABC affiliation there in jeopardy?

News department? Probably not. ABC affiliation, perhaps. 

4 hours ago, mvcg66b3r said:

HELL NO! They're still barred from buying (or even selling) stations; they only sold the non-license assets of KGBT.

And on top of that (as mentioned in speculatron) Sinclair has severe problems with it's debt (in fact they're about $14 Billion in debt or something like that)

I'll also go ahead and put this to rest right here, right now. I don't think Sinclair will ever be a buyer of television stations again given the troubles they've caused in the Tribune debacle along with everything else.

12 minutes ago, nickp said:

keep Daily Blast Live 

14 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Probably taken over by Gray.

Would WBTV have to cancel QC at 9 or 3 for that? I guess they would. WCNC airs two runs at 2. WBTV’s non-network schedule is all local now except for Funny You Should Ask at 1:37 am. Remember WCNC would be divested to another company.

Good thing is it would open up room for Daytime Jeopardy on WCNC.

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

Would WBTV have to cancel QC at 9 or 3 for that? I guess they would. WCNC airs two runs at 2. WBTV’s non-network schedule is all local now except for Funny You Should Ask at 1:37 am. Remember WCNC would be divested to another company.

Good thing is it would open up room for Daytime Jeopardy on WCNC.

That is likely, although they may find another time slot for that.

12 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Apollo has apparently upped the ante. It's clear Tegna is on the way out...but to whom? 

If it’s Apollo/Cox that gets Tegna...then Daily Blast Live goes to WAXN.

34 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is likely, although they may find another time slot for that.

It would have to be 1:37am...WBTV isn’t ditching its 7:00 and 7:30 newscasts for that.

6 hours ago, who?cares said:

Standard Media comes to mind. Scripps could also pick up a few. 

Allen Broadcasting, Cox Media, Graham, Morgan Murphy, Circle City, NPG, Standard, Scripps, Meredith, Hearst, Bonneville.

WCNC -> Meredith or Scripps

WKYC -> Graham or Hearst.

3 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Allen Broadcasting, Cox Media, Graham, Morgan Murphy, Circle City, NPG.

WCNC -> Graham or Scripps.

WKYC -> Graham.

If it’s Scripps for WCNC...they can probably say goodbye to Jeopardy and Wheel. I guess WJZY or WCCB would pick them up, unless WBTV is willing to part with their 7:00 and 7:30 newscasts. 

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I could even see CBS going after WOIO and WUAB....with Cleveland being an AFC market and Gray may be ready to dump the two stations, since the mess at WKYC may be an easier fix than the years of failure and dysfunction at Reserve Square....

No no. CBS is preparing for O&O liquidation. They won't be adding any stations.

Man, I know I haven't been in the Industry very long, but this is HUGE, right? I mean, how can they even afford a purchase like that? I never would have pegged Gray as the one to go after Tegna.

Assuming this is an all-grey takeover (or Apollo/Cox), do they get rid of the Tegna look or take it over? Imagine rebuilding station-specific packages for all of the stations that dumped their old packages and sounds years ago. 

Archived