Gray Bidding on TEGNA - $8.5 BILLION (UPDATE: They're out)

TSSZNews
Message added by Weeters

Keep speculation in the speculation board. Do not post speculation here.

No foaming.

These threads have a history of getting out of hand WAY too fast. I will start handing out bans if people cannot control their emotions.

Um

https://deadline.com/2020/03/gray-television-bid-to-acquire-tegna-report-1202875985/

Signaling ongoing consolidation of the broadcast business, Gray Television has made an $8.5 billion bid for larger rival Tegna, according to Reuters, sending Tegna stock up by more than 30% in premarket trading Friday in what looks set to be an otherwise down market.

Gray offered about $20 a share in cash and stock for Tegna, according to sources familiar with the situation, Reuters said.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mightynine said:

In New Orleans, there's WVUE and WWL/WUPL - whoo boy, this could be a rollercoaster if it happened. How the heck do you do spinoffs?

WTOL/WTVG in Toledo and WZDX/WAFF in Huntsville also come to mind.

Bangor: WLBZ and WABI. This would be a huge headache given how WLBZ is tied into WCSH and WAGM in Presque Isle is tied into WABI.

Memphis: WATN/WLMT and WMC. Another mess given how it's WLMT and not WATN in the Top 4.

Charlotte: WCNC and WBTV. I smell Charlotte getting it's second chance with an O&O...

5 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

The GRAY/TEGNA TV merger would have to get DOJ/FCC approval. It gets quite messy in TV markets  with Tegna and Gray.

@jero23 maybe Charlotte can be an O&O market again...since you want that so badly 😝...WCNC would have to be divested...maybe NBC can buy them...but seriously would be a good idea

Well this came out of left field. 

39 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WOW. 😮

First conflict I see is Cleveland (WKYC and WOIO/WUAB). There's probably another but I'm forgetting.

I think WKYC would get sold off should this happen. Don't know who would buy them. Nexstar and Scripps are automatically out.

30 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Well this came out of left field. 

I think WKYC would get sold off should this happen. Don't know who would buy them. Nexstar and Scripps are automatically out.

I could see them going to Meredith.

Archived