Chris Matthews Resigns On-Air

Viper550

5 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

Chris Matthews just announced that he is retiring from Hardball.

Wow! After a more than 25-year run on three networks, the now-defunct America's Talking, CNBC, and now MSNBC!

They said on the broadcast it was the last "Hardball".

I wonder if it will be another MSNBC Live for a bit. I wonder if they will blow up the schedule soon then later.  Maybe moving Deadline, MTP Daily (or cancelling). Adding Josh Johnson etc. 

48 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Apparently he announced his retirement and was gone after the commercial break.

According to the Washington Post, this is what happened after the break:

Upon return, Steve Kornacki, Matthews’ temporary replacement, told viewers, “That was a lot to take in.” He called Matthews “a giant” and “a legend,” adding “I think you’re going to miss him and I will, too.” He then went to another commercial break.

😯

2 hours ago, Drew said:

They said on the broadcast it was the last "Hardball".

I wonder if it will be another MSNBC Live for a bit. I wonder if they will blow up the schedule soon then later.  Maybe moving Deadline, MTP Daily (or cancelling). Adding Josh Johnson etc. 

If they decide to move a show, Deadline:WH would be the best choice imo. They could use another female voice on the night side (besides Maddow) and D:WH would be an ideal replacement rather than starting anew in that hour.

Pretty sudden retirement and evidently with little warning. He had made a few controversial comments the last week or so. Can't help but think if he was feeling the pressure. If not that, then some have pointed out he seemingly hasn't been all there lately, especially when signing off.

Chris Matthews was one of a kind.  No debate to that.

As for a replacement ... my personal choice, the only choice for a replacement ... KEITH OLBERMANN.

His Countdown show he had was excellent.  His opinion pieces he had on air, was spotless and perfect.  I remember the one he did when he scorched George W. Bush for playing golf and the one where he spent an entire hour on a commentary about the Affordable Care Act.

Keith (like Rachel Maddow) was a steady guiding light in troubling times.  And without trying to editorialize any more than I need to, something we need right now.

-- Matt

Archived