1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Thanks.  Can you checkout the spreadsheet for me to make sure it’s correct?

Great work for the list, that's awesome! Thank you for it. 

One clarification. KTTV and KCBS/KCAL share 1 chopper both in the morning and evening, so only 1 is flying at a time for them. KTTV has Rick Dickert up for their morning show, while KCBS is using the feed from the same chopper for their morning show. In the evening, Stu Mundel for KCBS is up there, while KTTV is just using the feed from the same chopper. N12YJ is the back up for all ACA, usually KTLA. N61HL also needs to be added for ACA as a backup. Sorry, I edited my original post to show ACA info above. 

38 minutes ago, n925tv said:

Great work for the list, that's awesome! Thank you for it. 

One clarification. KTTV and KCBS/KCAL share 1 chopper both in the morning and evening, so only 1 is flying at a time for them. KTTV has Rick Dickert up for their morning show, while KCBS is using the feed from the same chopper for their morning show. In the evening, Stu Mundel for KCBS is up there, while KTTV is just using the feed from the same chopper. N12YJ is the back up for all ACA, usually KTLA. N61HL also needs to be added for ACA as a backup. Sorry, I edited my original post to show ACA info above. 

Thanks for the clarification. I added that KTTV operates and has a reporter in the AM and KCBS operates and reports in the PM along with the extra. 

I have been watching the video on Top 10 piston engine helicopters altitude performance, and after looking at these LOW-PRICED helicopters, I can see it being used as news helicopters bearing the station logo

I saw the following choppers with potential for bearing a station logo: Rotorway A600, Cabri G2, Skyrider SKY, CH 77 Ranabot Turbo, Robinson R22, and EVEN the Schweitzer 300 helicopter. That Schweizter 300 was used at stations like KTVT Dallas/Ft. Worth, KPIX San Francisco, KTHV Little Rock and WAFF 48 Huntsville, Alabama (seen in the promo below)

As long as it can bear a station logo, I see those choppers as a low-cost alternative to the expensive Bell JetRanger and Eurocopter A350

16 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Why did they kill the licensing agreement?

My guess is that Air Comfort Solutions didn't want to renew the contract when it was up. Who knows what went on behind the scenes (maybe @Al-SA-TX might have an answer as to why ACS didn't renew the deal with KFOR for Chopper 4 but I could be wrong)

19 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

My guess is that Air Comfort Solutions didn't want to renew the contract when it was up. Who knows what went on behind the scenes (maybe @Al-SA-TX might have an answer as to why ACS didn't renew the deal with KFOR for Chopper 4 but I could be wrong)

I'm not entirely sure. Air Comfort Solutions, the company, is a big spender in advertising. It could be that there was another suitor willing to pay more, so a name change may be on the horizon again. For now, it's just Chopper 4 again.

I'm no longer there, so I can't say for certain.

As a side note, Air Comfort Solutions Chooper 4 was a mouthful and I was never a fan of that brand.

Edited by Al-SA-TX

2 hours ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I'm not entirely sure. Air Comfort Solutions, the company, is a big spender in advertising. It could be that there was another suitor willing to pay more, so a name change may be on the horizon again. For now, it's just Chopper 4 again.

I'm no longer there, so I can't say for certain.

As a side note, Air Comfort Solutions Chooper 4 was a mouthful and I was never a fan of that brand.

Given that they have former OU Quarterback Jason White and of course, Lord Gary England that makes logical sense for ACS to have the kind of money needed to spend the advertising dollars and money needed to sponsor a multitude of things including the Chopper.

When Air Comfort Solutions was sponosring KFOR's chopper it would've been a lot easier to say "ACS Chopper 4" instead of "Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4" like what they did but that's just me.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, rkolsen said:

I am not sure. For KCTV I listed it as discontinued due to this post from FTVLive

KCTV must have ended their sharing agreement. The other side of that chopper will have KSHB's logo, and there's footage from their chopper from within the last week. What's most frustrating is how painfully SD the camera is.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

KCTV must have ended their sharing agreement. The other side of that chopper will have KSHB's logo, and there's footage from their chopper from within the last week. What's most frustrating is how painfully SD the camera is.

They will be ending their agreement too. They both might have made the decision in January but the contract wasn’t up yet because they both used it last week.

1 hour ago, newseider said:

They will be ending their agreement too. They both might have made the decision in January but the contract wasn’t up yet because they both used it last week.

So they’re going to use it until the contract runs out? With many being flown a certain number of hours a month they could of used most up there hours and are flying reduced hours. 

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

So they’re going to use it until the contract runs out? With many being flown a certain number of hours a month they could of used most up there hours and are flying reduced hours.

I did some asking...sounds like the contract is up in April and they're shedding it. It'll leave KMBC as the only station in the market with a chopper.

19 hours ago, Eat News said:

You may want to place WTVF's Nashville Sky 5 on the injured reserve list.

It got a few oweee's during that last round of tornadoes.

image.png.85900e5a21ab8cfb1c74a44ee22ac0b4.png

I did so and added their replacement. N90CL formerly of their sister station WCPO.

The hull of the aircraft (particularly the second row)  looks to be strong and undamaged, perhaps some equipment could be salvaged?

Today was an interesting case with helicopter sharing in San Francisco. There are two helicopters that are shared N7QY which is controlled by KGO and images are taken by KRON (which is essentially along for the ride and is based at the KGO studios despite separate ownership) and N62TV which is used by the KTVU/KICU duopoly, the KNTV/KSTS duopoly and the KPIX/KBCW duopoly. For most of the day there was a helicopter flying around the Grand Princess providing constant images to affiliates and the networks.  KGO was uplinking video to CNN NewSource whole N62TV was flying and then when their own helicopter was in the air.  As KGO’s helicopter was flying they showed the tail rotor cam once or twice which went out everywhere and was seen on CBSN Bay Area. And even for a short period of time KTRK Houston’s helicopter was in rotation N42SL providing images.  It seemed like every two or three hours the switched helicopters.

I imagine it was done to save money and resources as they’d all be getting the same images even if they flew themselves, but this way they got constant coverage. It like was also a safety measure as instead of two or three helicopters flying around the cruise ship there was only one. Additionally the ship was eventually docked within two miles of Oakland International Airport, so they would also have to be dealing with the take offs and departures from the airport.

Telemundo offered a live stream and they got the tail cam as well:

SmSoP2G.jpg

The choppers are actually based at the Hayward airport, not OAK. Also, I believe KPIX has its own chopper. From what I heard through the grapevine, the plan tomorrow is to pool again with KTVU/KPIX/KGO up constantly in two hour shifts each all day long.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, edladd said:

Is there enough space for nose camera and equipment to send an HD signal back to the station?

Yes there is. With HD Wireless Camera Solution (CLICK HERE). As you can see with the pictures below, it's perfect for choppers like Rotorway A600, Cabri G2, Skyrider SKY, CH 77 Ranabot Turbo, Robinson R22, and EVEN the Schweitzer 300 helicopter 

540207890_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_32_23PM.png.43278ac91462a8fccfebe21dc0c59bdf.png1044886871_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_32_11PM.png.89f13c8f6daf3af73e667bcd4e01fca4.png2110778467_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_31_15PM.png.2b394e4f7d54f017ac289deb4f6d617a.png1746238433_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_31_31PM.png.2699c53eb963ee500f4ffa4edbad6ee0.png

6 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Yes there is. With HD Wireless Camera Solution (CLICK HERE). As you can see with the pictures below, it's perfect for choppers like Rotorway A600, Cabri G2, Skyrider SKY, CH 77 Ranabot Turbo, Robinson R22, and EVEN the Schweitzer 300 helicopter 

540207890_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_32_23PM.png.43278ac91462a8fccfebe21dc0c59bdf.png1044886871_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_32_11PM.png.89f13c8f6daf3af73e667bcd4e01fca4.png2110778467_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_31_15PM.png.2b394e4f7d54f017ac289deb4f6d617a.png1746238433_ScreenShot2020-03-13at4_31_31PM.png.2699c53eb963ee500f4ffa4edbad6ee0.png

Most if not all US and Canadian helicopters have belly based gyroscopic helicopters where they are pointed to a stationary receiver. They fit between the skids and it leaves enough clearance to land. Sometimes it’s a clear cylinder other times it’s painted the hull color.

ED8C69F8-A79B-4646-80B5-34797621E6D8.jpeg.dac55e66e4a81a2bc0115cb1d2b4ff08.jpeg

In the UK there are omnidirectional antennas like the ones above usually placed on the body that send a signal to a receive satellite truck where it’s sent pack via satellite or some other means. Reportedly London is the only area with a fixed receive site.

Oh so since the beginning of February WJZ has been flying a back up R66 (N616HD) after their existing helicopter (N713TV) was being pushed back into the hangar by airport personnel when it’s rotors struck the hangar door causing damage - this was confirmed by the airport itself.  According to sources it was seriously damaged the upper half of the helicopter costing hundreds of thousands of repairs, it’s unknown when or if it will return of course it’s something the airport and station would downplay. 

On 3/10/2020 at 4:15 AM, C Block said:

The choppers are actually based at the Hayward airport, not OAK. Also, I believe KPIX has its own chopper. From what I heard through the grapevine, the plan tomorrow is to pool again with KTVU/KPIX/KGO up constantly in two hour shifts each all day long.

Do you have any more info?

Edited by rkolsen

9 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Most if not all US and Canadian helicopters have belly based gyroscopic helicopters where they are pointed to a stationary receiver. They fit between the skids and it leaves enough clearance to land. Sometimes it’s a clear cylinder other times it’s painted the hull color.

In the UK there are omnidirectional antennas like the ones above usually placed on the body that send a signal to a receive satellite truck where it’s sent pack via satellite or some other means. Reportedly London is the only area with a fixed receive site.

Oh so since the beginning of February WJZ has been flying a back up R66 (N616HD) after their existing helicopter (N713TV) was being pushed back into the hangar by airport personnel when it’s rotors struck the hangar door causing damage - this was confirmed by the airport itself.  According to sources it was seriously damaged the upper half of the helicopter costing hundreds of thousands of repairs, it’s unknown when or if it will return of course it’s something the airport and station would downplay. 

You mean THIS white cylinder thingy between the skids? Where it can send an HD signal back to the station? Even a LIVE HD Signal?

2110845581_ScreenShot2020-03-13at10_56_05PM.thumb.png.b0187a65fc49ee5863c607091b5509d1.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.56.17 PM.png

5 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

You mean THIS white cylinder thingy between the skids? Where it can send an HD signal back to the station? Even a LIVE HD Signal?

2110845581_ScreenShot2020-03-13at10_56_05PM.thumb.png.b0187a65fc49ee5863c607091b5509d1.png

Yes, it is a microwave yagi antenna on a gyroscope that keeps it pointed at the receive site.

https://trollsystems.com/airborne-tracking-antennas/skylink-hd-az-el-steerable-high-gain-multi-band-bidirectional-antenna

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.56.17 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Yes, it is a microwave yagi antenna on a gyroscope that keeps it pointed at the receive site.

https://trollsystems.com/airborne-tracking-antennas/skylink-hd-az-el-steerable-high-gain-multi-band-bidirectional-antenna

Keeps it pointed at a receive site and keeps the receive site tracking it.  The receive site is typically a remotely steerable parabolic antenna in a dome.  It constantly moves automatically with the helicopter. Where with a typical news truck the receive site is positioned and static.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Keeps it pointed at a receive site and keeps the receive site tracking it.  The receive site is typically a remotely steerable parabolic antenna in a dome.  It constantly moves automatically with the helicopter. Where with a typical news truck the receive site is positioned and static.

and that microwave yagi antenna on a cylinder gyroscope...can it send an HD signal back to the station? Even a LIVE HD Signal? If so, it'll be PREFECT between the skids of low-priced, high quality choppers (Rotorway A600, Cabri G2, Skyrider SKY, CH 77 Ranabot Turbo, Robinson R22, and EVEN the Schweitzer 300)

Edited by newsteam13

• 4 weeks later...

Great list for News Helicopters. Very well done!

also great notes from everyone else too.

I also found the OpenADSB app for iPhone/iPad best for tracking helicopters. It uses ADSBexchange unfiltered tracking data.

They have one option to show only helicopters on it or make your own filter list to show the news helicopters.
Very handy for tracking the Los Angeles TV News Helicopters now since it shows the tail numbers on the app.
Since most of them are blocked on FlightAware and the other main tracking sites.

This page shows the tracking info for Los Angeles news helicopters.

https://www.scanriverside.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1246

On 2/29/2020 at 2:18 PM, Spintech33 said:

Also missing from your list is WNYW.

They hav scooter branded "SkyFox" on air. Don't know the model but it's there own. Pix even had one the shkw it on the air a news helicopter.