Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
DENDude

WBBH & WZVN off the air until Feb 13th or 14th.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Repack?

Probably related. They're in the process of moving RF channels in this phase of the repack (Phase 8).

 

It's a shame that they don't have a backup auxiliary facility for those OTA viewers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Probably related. They're in the process of moving RF channels in this phase of the repack (Phase 8).

 

It's a shame that they don't have a backup auxiliary facility for those OTA viewers.

Furthermore, WBBH and WZVN have been sharing a channel for more repack work.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very surprised that they would suspend OTA operations during the repack transition.  Kinda concerning they don't have a secondary transmitter, given the real annual threat of hurricanes.   I wonder if they have a plan to deal with a transmitter being damaged in the event of a hurricane/debris/high winds, etc.  

 

Then again, I know that Ft. Myers DMA has a very high number of cable subscribers.  But still, cable can easily become unreliable during a hurricane/severe wx, and especially satellite.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I'm very surprised that they would suspend OTA operations during the repack transition.  Kinda concerning they don't have a secondary transmitter, given the real annual threat of hurricanes.   I wonder if they have a plan to deal with a transmitter being damaged in the event of a hurricane/debris/high winds, etc.  

 

Then again, I know that Ft. Myers DMA has a very high number of cable subscribers.  But still, cable can easily become unreliable during a hurricane/severe wx, and especially satellite.

Keep in mind they're already down to one mux and even then they had to reduce power during the day on it. Obviously they had no choice at all. Keep in mind that this is work on the antenna elements, not so much the transmitter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the analog days, WZVN had a backup transmitter site in Bonita Springs, FL  & WBBH had a back up site in lehigh-acres, FL  that appears to be long gone seeing as they shut down both stations.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backup transmitters are far less common than we think.

 

Most modern xmitters are far more reliable than in the past.

 

In the olden tymes of teevee,  transmitters were cranky and needed constant attention, or they might just burn up...or explode or throw some kind of tantrum.  

 

So most stations had backup transmitters on "hot standby" You and your staff of qualified SBE certified engineers would polish and baby the backup xmitter...sending a clear message to the main transmitter that "You can be replaced".

That usually kept the main transmitter in line.

 

But now...

Everyone is sharing sites, antennas, generators and porta-pottys at the transmitter sites.

Everybody wants a backup transmitter, and waveguide...and antennas...and all the ENG crap... and all the other crap that is up on the tower...including that 7 ton antenna!

 

7 frigging TONS!!!

 

And once you decide you can have all this stuff...you need certified engineers to maintain it.

 

And all those SBE certified engineers are dying.

 

So if you want to make money...become an SBE certified  engineer, and learn computers as they apply to broadcasting.

 

Oh...

That drone video is pretty badass...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Eat News
Dance For Philosophy -Dance Founder .. https://youtu.be/m7SFHf-32nk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, Eat News said:

Backup transmitters are far less common than we think.

 

Most modern xmitters are far more reliable than in the past.

 

In the olden tymes of teevee,  transmitters were cranky and needed constant attention, or they might just burn up...or explode or throw some kind of tantrum.  

 

So most stations had backup transmitters on "hot standby" You and your staff of qualified SBE certified engineers would polish and baby the backup xmitter...sending a clear message to the main transmitter that "You can be replaced".

That usually kept the main transmitter in line.

 

But now...

Everyone is sharing sites, antennas, generators and porta-pottys at the transmitter sites.

Everybody wants a backup transmitter, and waveguide...and antennas...and all the ENG crap... and all the other crap that is up on the tower...including that 7 ton antenna!

 

7 frigging TONS!!!

 

And once you decide you can have all this stuff...you need certified engineers to maintain it.

 

And all those SBE certified engineers are dying.

 

So if you want to make money...become an SBE certified  engineer, and learn computers as they apply to broadcasting.

 

Oh...

That drone video is pretty badass...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The whole signing off issue for such a long time seems odd to me at these two stations. 
 

I was just reading about what’s going on here in Baltimore.  The date for phase 9 will pass by the time they can get a helicopter to lift the three TV antennas up.  So in the meantime the three Baltimore stations will be using auxiliary transmitters (that they just bought) and antennas to meet the deadline. The transmitters are brand news as are the auxiliary antennas but they are mounted below the candelabra base, so there will be a slight reduction of power.  Then the weekend at the end of May WJZ and WBAL will have to leave there buildings as it’s unsafe for them to be there as three antennas will be removed and three will be installed.  But I digress. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

Are WBBH/WXZN TV owned by the same company.  Is the new antenna under Repack rules.

I mean WZVN my apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 6:09 AM, CubsFan79 said:

I mean WZVN my apology.

No, WBBH is owned by Waterman Broadcasting Corp, while WZVN is owned by Montclair communications.   Waterman Broadcasting holds an investment interest in Montclair Communications and operates WZVN under a local marketing agreement.   Both station file separate paperwork with the F.C.C.  

Waterman Broadcasting is Headquartered in Ft. Myers, FL  while Montclair Communications is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA.   

Montclair Communications is owned by the goddaughter of Bernard Waterman (Laura Kunkler).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DENDude said:

No, WBBH is owned by Waterman Broadcasting Corp, while WZVN is owned by Montclair communications.   Waterman Broadcasting holds an investment interest in Montclair Communications and operates WZVN under a local marketing agreement.   Both station file separate paperwork with the F.C.C.  

Waterman Broadcasting is Headquartered in Ft. Myers, FL  while Montclair Communications is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA.   

Montclair Communications is owned by the goddaughter of Bernard Waterman (Laura Kunkler).

a.k.a. a sidecar shell company of Waterman.

 

Just like how Sun Broadcasting (WXCW) is a sidecar shell company of the Fort Myers Broadcasting Company (WINK) and how Cunningham is a sidecar shell company of Sinclair and... you get it by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.