Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
The Frog

2020 XFL Season

So far, FOX broadcasts wildly outclass ESPN (including ABC) broadcasts. FOX broadcasts feel like everything you expect of a professional football broadcast. By comparison, it almost seems like ESPN has forgotten everything about how to do this. (Either that, or they've decided that "meh, this is XFL, we don't give a..." and they just decided to wing it.)

I watched at least a portion of all four games this weekend.

• Pat McAfee needs to be part of more NFL broadcasts. It sounds like ESPN is including them very similarly to how they incorporated Booger McFarland into the broadcast during the 2018 season. Even though he's on the sideline he can still chime in any time. It works much better, in my opinion, because Pat is more entertaining and has more insightful things to say.
  • I personally enjoyed the ESPN presentation better. The FOX broadcast did feel like a regular NFL broadcast. That's not a bad thing, but that's also not a good thing.
  • I'm not a fan of Curt Menefee in the booth, but it could be worse.
  • The new rules are awesome. Even though New York was up 20 pts on Tampa Bay it didn't feel like Tampa was completely out of it because of the 3 pt conversion rule.

You have to remember, AAF got off to a great start, and look what happened to it. You have to hope the XFL lasts.

5 minutes ago, hfiles said:

• Pat McAfee needs to be part of more NFL broadcasts. It sounds like ESPN is including them very similarly to how they incorporated Booger McFarland into the broadcast during the 2018 season. Even though he's on the sideline he can still chime in any time. It works much better, in my opinion, because Pat is more entertaining and has more insightful things to say.
  • I personally enjoyed the ESPN presentation better. The FOX broadcast did feel like a regular NFL broadcast. That's not a bad thing, but that's also not a good thing.
  • The new rules are awesome. Even though New York was up 20 pts on Tampa Bay it didn't feel like Tampa was completely out of it because of the 3 pt conversion rule.

Menefee was in the booth for Fox NFL broadcasts back in the day before he became a studio host, and he's the voice of Seahawks' preseason broadcasts.

Greg Olsen, however, was shining in the booth. He has a future on XFL and NFL broadcasts. 

Edited by Georgie56

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

AAF used CBS' graphics on all networks.

They used CBS graphics, but the production was handled by AAF.

3 hours ago, LoadStar said:

So far, FOX broadcasts wildly outclass ESPN (including ABC) broadcasts. FOX broadcasts feel like everything you expect of a professional football broadcast. By comparison, it almost seems like ESPN has forgotten everything about how to do this. (Either that, or they've decided that "meh, this is XFL, we don't give a..." and they just decided to wing it.)

Hmmm, sounds similar to ESPN's NFL broadcasts. They've seemed entirely lost for the past couple of years at how to broadcast a sport rather than all of the distractions going on tangential to the sport.

3 hours ago, hfiles said:

Pat McAfee is right up there with Mauro Ranallo, Gus Johnson, and Mike Joy for favorite announcers

13 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

They've seemed entirely lost for the past couple of years at how to broadcast a sport rather than all of the distractions going on tangential to the sport.

And those weird CGI sequences.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, hfiles said:

I liked ESPN's coverage overall more too, like when they were going for the extra point conversion it showed you where all 3 conversion lines were, also ESPN seemed to do the mic'd players and coaches more.

Overall I really liked the XFL, its better than the 1st time around since that had too much other nonsense, and even better than AAF which felt like a watered down nfl. The differences the xfl has I am liking.

• Like 1