2020 XFL Season

The Frog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Damn. The games I watched (almost all on Fox) were very entertaining and worth wasting a weekend evening on. Hopefully it'll come back after next season, cause I pictured it lasting a few years. Oh well.

It isn’t coming back. A real shame. We can only hope this pandemic will finally end, and someone will create a kickstarter for the XFL afterward because it was so heartbreaking to see it end like that.

10 minutes ago, nbc4ne said:

It isn’t coming back. A real shame. We can only hope this pandemic will finally end, and someone will create a kickstarter for the XFL afterward because it was so heartbreaking to see it end like that.

I did say "hopefully". That's the idealist in me.

XFL has filed for Chapter 11.

"The XFL quickly captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people who love football.  Unfortunately, as a new enterprise, we were not insulated from the harsh economic impacts and uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 crisis.  Accordingly, we have filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.  This is a heartbreaking time for many, including our passionate fans, players and staff, and we are thankful to them, our television partners, and the many Americans who rallied to the XFL for the love of football."

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/13/xfl-bankruptcy-league-fold-millions-lay-offs/

EDIT: Interestingly, THR reports that they're seeking a buyer: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vince-mcmahons-xfl-files-bankruptcy-up-sale-1290073

• 3 months later...
58 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Is the Rock thinking that third time is the charm?  Guys, let the XFL rest already. 

Since the reboot never really had a chance to finish their season because of covid, wouldn't this be the 2nd and 1/2 time?  That worked well for Cryer & Sheen for a few seasons!

$15 mil (split 3 ways) isn’t that big of a risk, so I can understand The Rock making the investment. 

Whoever the TV partner is needs to treat it like the NFL and present it that way. Enough with the stupid gimmicks and whatnot. I like what Fox did, so that’s a good starting point. 

5 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Is the Rock thinking that third time is the charm?  Guys, let the XFL rest already. 

I disagree. The ratings were solid - if not good, people came out for games, Fox put it's all into presentation and personally I enjoyed the games I watched on it. Vince McMahon's antics and (especially) COVID really put Round 2 to a halt. And now with The Rock's ownership, I think the XFL will return next year just as big and exciting as ever.

13 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

I think the XFL will return next year just as big and exciting as ever.

I'm interested to see if the XFL returns in the "traditional" ten week season, one week playoff for the top two teams in each division, and Championship game format, or if they're going to do something more like the twelve-week tournament format that was pitched in part of the sale process.

“The Debtor has modeled for 2021 a “made-for-TV,” 12-week tournament-style approach to its business. The XFL is also well positioned to, if necessary, deliver a crowd-free experience that could thrive in the current environment, given the XFL’s existing innovations such as in-game audio from players and coaches and live on-screen sports wagering information.”

Source: XFL News Hub

And if the NFL season goes the way I expect it to, the XFL might be our next good chance for football.

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, The Frog said:

Amid preparations for a 2022 season, a potential 'partnership' with the CFL is being discussed.

https://www.si.com/xfl/2021/03/10/cfl-xfl-discuss-potential-partnership

I smell a merger between the 2 leagues because it would make no sense to halt 2022 plans without some sort of a merger talk with the CFL and I feel like this last part of the statement suggests that a merger of the 2 leagues is most likely:

"Blending the CFL’s rich heritage with our fresh thinking, and the unique reach and experience of our ownership, could be transformative for the game."

Archived