2020 XFL Season

The Frog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched at least a portion of all four games this weekend.

• Pat McAfee needs to be part of more NFL broadcasts. It sounds like ESPN is including them very similarly to how they incorporated Booger McFarland into the broadcast during the 2018 season. Even though he's on the sideline he can still chime in any time. It works much better, in my opinion, because Pat is more entertaining and has more insightful things to say.
  • I personally enjoyed the ESPN presentation better. The FOX broadcast did feel like a regular NFL broadcast. That's not a bad thing, but that's also not a good thing.
  • I'm not a fan of Curt Menefee in the booth, but it could be worse.
  • The new rules are awesome. Even though New York was up 20 pts on Tampa Bay it didn't feel like Tampa was completely out of it because of the 3 pt conversion rule.

You have to remember, AAF got off to a great start, and look what happened to it. You have to hope the XFL lasts.

5 minutes ago, hfiles said:

• Pat McAfee needs to be part of more NFL broadcasts. It sounds like ESPN is including them very similarly to how they incorporated Booger McFarland into the broadcast during the 2018 season. Even though he's on the sideline he can still chime in any time. It works much better, in my opinion, because Pat is more entertaining and has more insightful things to say.
  • I personally enjoyed the ESPN presentation better. The FOX broadcast did feel like a regular NFL broadcast. That's not a bad thing, but that's also not a good thing.
  • The new rules are awesome. Even though New York was up 20 pts on Tampa Bay it didn't feel like Tampa was completely out of it because of the 3 pt conversion rule.

Menefee was in the booth for Fox NFL broadcasts back in the day before he became a studio host, and he's the voice of Seahawks' preseason broadcasts.

Greg Olsen, however, was shining in the booth. He has a future on XFL and NFL broadcasts. 

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

AAF used CBS' graphics on all networks.

They used CBS graphics, but the production was handled by AAF.

3 hours ago, LoadStar said:

So far, FOX broadcasts wildly outclass ESPN (including ABC) broadcasts. FOX broadcasts feel like everything you expect of a professional football broadcast. By comparison, it almost seems like ESPN has forgotten everything about how to do this. (Either that, or they've decided that "meh, this is XFL, we don't give a..." and they just decided to wing it.)

Hmmm, sounds similar to ESPN's NFL broadcasts. They've seemed entirely lost for the past couple of years at how to broadcast a sport rather than all of the distractions going on tangential to the sport.

3 hours ago, hfiles said:

Pat McAfee is right up there with Mauro Ranallo, Gus Johnson, and Mike Joy for favorite announcers

On 2/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, hfiles said:

I liked ESPN's coverage overall more too, like when they were going for the extra point conversion it showed you where all 3 conversion lines were, also ESPN seemed to do the mic'd players and coaches more.

Overall I really liked the XFL, its better than the 1st time around since that had too much other nonsense, and even better than AAF which felt like a watered down nfl. The differences the xfl has I am liking.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, The Frog said:

XFL is following suit in being Corona'd. That's a tough break for a start-up league.

I don't see an official announcement of a suspension anywhere...

If anything, maybe they need to be on with no audience--with no other televised sports they could actually get a lot of extra exposure!

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

I don't see an official announcement of a suspension anywhere...

If anything, maybe they need to be on with no audience--with no other televised sports they could actually get a lot of extra exposure!

@XFL just posted it. It's official now.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1238242448075304961/photo/1

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Truth be told, I don't think it's coming back.

I believe not. Even Before the virus became serious, the XFL was on the up and up, so to not see a 2021 season wouldn’t make sense at all. It is my opinion that a Virus, like COVID 19, shouldn’t have to cause the XFL to fold. Here’s to XFL 2021.

9 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

I believe not. Even Before the virus became serious, the XFL was on the up and up, so to not see a 2021 season wouldn’t make sense at all. It is my opinion that a Virus, like COVID 19, shouldn’t have to cause the XFL to fold. Here’s to XFL 2021.

I enjoyed what I watched of XFL 2.0 (though I never saw a full game), but the ratings had been dropping every week. The two Sunday games in what ended up being the final week of the season each dropped below 1 million viewers. That's the only thing that concerns me about getting another season. But I think I read the league signed three-year deals with the networks, so hopefully it'll be back in 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on whether the NHL or NBA try to spin up an abbreviated season for 2021, the XFL might have a shot at being one of the first US "pro" sports leagues to return to play next year. Restrictions on gatherings of 50 or more people will likely persist until a COVID-19 vaccine is readily available/administered at scale across the country, making the prospect for any sports league play in 2020 pretty grim.

5 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Depending on whether the NHL or NBA try to spin up an abbreviated season for 2021, the XFL might have a shot at being one of the first US "pro" sports leagues to return to play next year. Restrictions on gatherings of 50 or more people will likely persist until a COVID-19 vaccine is readily available/administered at scale across the country, making the prospect for any sports league play in 2020 pretty grim.

The NFL won't be denied. They'll play in empty stadiums if they have to. And if we're going that long with all the restrictions, nothing's ever coming back the same anyway.

7 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

At that point herd immunity will come before a vaccine. And can our nation's mental, economical, and political health survive a wait of that long?

Some day someone's going to have to say "screw it, if I die, I die."

26 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Not sure if I would count on that. It's highly likely there will be treatment in a few weeks, if not a month. The restrictions on gatherings will likely last for a month or so, and by then, herd immunity will likely take place. As of now, there are still a lot of unknowns about the virus. However, I am remaining optimistic in all of this, that when treatment arrives, the infection rate may not change, but the death rate for COVID-19 will likely be drastically reduced enough to where events can be held again.

Hopefully, sports getting back to normalcy will be a slow process with the sports leagues resuming without fans in stadiums as the number of active virus cases decline then in a few weeks or so, having fans filling up the seats again.

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

The NFL won't be denied. They'll play in empty stadiums if they have to. And if we're going that long with all the restrictions, nothing's ever coming back the same anyway.

Well, there was a reason I searched for "sports during the Great Depression" earlier today...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived