2020 XFL Season

The Frog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

I'm actually looking forward. This could be fun.

I am as well. If successful, hopefully Chicago will get a team at some point. I still have my ‘Enforcers’ foam fist hand.

56 minutes ago, jase said:

I am as well. If successful, hopefully Chicago will get a team at some point. I still have my ‘Enforcers’ foam fist hand.

But do you have a Chicago Sting bumper sticker, like I do? 😂

5 minutes ago, 24994J said:

But do you have a Chicago Sting bumper sticker, like I do? 😂

Nope... I try to keep my memorabilia to 1 box (which is full). Had to part ways with my Undertaker foam tombstone awhile back.

I noticed a lot of teams don't have radio play-by-play. Only the Houston Roughnecks do. Weird.

The St. Louis Battlehawks almost brought on KMOV's Steve Savard (who was the Rams' announcer while they were still in STL), but that deal didn't get done. So they're forgoing radio altogether.

9 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I noticed a lot of teams don't have radio play-by-play. Only the Houston Roughnecks do. Weird.

The St. Louis Battlehawks almost brought on KMOV's Steve Savard (who was the Rams' announcer while they were still in STL), but that deal didn't get done. So they're forgoing radio altogether.

Seattle's team announced a couple days ago its games will be broadcast on the ESPN Radio affiliate there. 

It was confirmed the Super Bowl LIV graphics were going to be used for Fox's games.

Meanwhile on ESPN, it looks like they're branching off the MNF graphics. Besides the clock (which still appears to use the exact same layout/everything as MNF), this honestly looks better (the lack of lime green probably helps). The betting stats in-game are going to be interesting, though.

https://frntofficesport.com/xfl-espn-abc-betting-lines/

Screen-grab-XFL-dashboard.jpg

On 2/2/2020 at 11:28 AM, Georgie56 said:

As a Battlehawks fan I wish that the deal would have gone through for Steve to do play by play for the Battlehawks. Oh well, at least they tried to work out a deal.

The XFL may not have a choice. As it's not a singular marquee broadcast, like MNF, or a high profile CFB or NBA game, their agreement might say that the ticker gets on be on-screen all the time, or at least at the network's discretion.

Graphics aside, FOX/FS1 seems to be doing a better job at 'selling' the XFL than ABC/ESPN thus far. We will have to see how things go tomorrow. This is going to be an uphill battle (building an audience, understanding the rules, etc...) for the XFL and their broadcasting partners. 

8 minutes ago, jase said:

Graphics aside, FOX/FS1 seems to be doing a better job at 'selling' the XFL than ABC/ESPN thus far. We will have to see how things go tomorrow. This is going to be an uphill battle (building an audience, understanding the rules, etc...) for the XFL and their broadcasting partners. 

XFL has better broadcast partners than the AAF did.

1 minute ago, Georgie56 said:

XFL has better broadcast partners than the AAF did.

To me, the AAF felt like a brokered program produced by the AAF, rather than something legitimately being covered by their broadcast partners. There was an infomercial "sheen" to everything with the AAF.

In contrast, the XFL feels like a typical FOX Sports or (to a somewhat lesser degree) ESPN broadcast.

It does feel odd that for both broadcast partners, the XFL isn't important enough to host a pre-game or halftime show. The broadcasts on both networks went live mere minutes before kickoff, and the halftime show on ABC was hosted by the field reporters standing outside the locker rooms while Fox had their halftime show hosted by the commentators in the booth.

4 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

It does feel odd that for both broadcast partners, the XFL isn't important enough to host a pre-game or halftime show. The broadcasts on both networks went live mere minutes before kickoff, and the halftime show on ABC was hosted by the field reporters standing outside the locker rooms while Fox had their halftime show hosted by the commentators in the booth.

Really no point in doing a pre-game show because the majority of your audience doesn’t know who anyone is, etc... that it’s a waste of time.  Halftime is like 10 minutes long, so....

It goes back to what I was saying yesterday. Fox had a better plan on how they were going to present the XFL. ABC didn’t (thus the weird halftime coverage). Hopefully ABC/ESPN figures things out quick because yesterday’s game was a mess.

19 hours ago, LoadStar said:

To me, the AAF felt like a brokered program produced by the AAF, rather than something legitimately being covered by their broadcast partners. There was an infomercial "sheen" to everything with the AAF.

In contrast, the XFL feels like a typical FOX Sports or (to a somewhat lesser degree) ESPN broadcast.

The AAF was in fact a time buy. With the XFL, the networks are handling production in-house and it shows.

So far, FOX broadcasts wildly outclass ESPN (including ABC) broadcasts. FOX broadcasts feel like everything you expect of a professional football broadcast. By comparison, it almost seems like ESPN has forgotten everything about how to do this. (Either that, or they've decided that "meh, this is XFL, we don't give a..." and they just decided to wing it.)

Archived