ABC News to Debut New Special Report Graphics

Big Country News

• 2 months later...

I saw the tail end of tonight's interruption about more MN violence. I was looking for info about the same near San Diego, but no one was covering it on TV at that moment. I'm going to have to look again at this package on YouTube, if they have it on there yet. I do like the thick strokeweight of "SPECIAL REPORT". It looks really good. And it distances ABC from NBC. Their SR opens/closes had very similar fonts for a while IIRC.

Orange is unorthodox, but I think it looks OK. I do wish "SPECIAL REPORT" were all in white, though. There's something rather urgent in my mind about it. As for blue background, I like it. Red reminds me of an EAS test I saw on a Columbus, OH station in 2003 ahead of a USWNT soccer match I went there for. Urgent, yes, but more suited for an emergency requiring evacuation or other action. 

I am sick of "breaking news". There is so much within the confines of a newscast that it just doesn't phase me anymore. So to brand what I always knew as a "special report" or, less commonly, a "bulletin", as just "breaking news"? If I am busy tweeting for facebooking or what have you, I'm not going to aurally tune in as automatically as if I hear the words "SPECIAL REPORT" for an interruption of a non-news show. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Correct. Just for the ceremonies this week.

That is awful. I can't believe that I have to spell this out, because I see this problem so frequently now. DON'T PUT YOUR LIVE BUG IN THE L3! THEY ARE LOST IN THE REST OF THE INFORMATION. PUTTING THE LIVE BUG IN THE U3, TOP LEFT ENSURES THAT IT WILL STAND OUT.

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

That is awful. I can't believe that I have to spell this out, because I see this problem so frequently now. DON'T PUT YOUR LIVE BUG IN THE L3! THEY ARE LOST IN THE REST OF THE INFORMATION. PUTTING THE LIVE BUG IN THE U3, TOP LEFT ENSURES THAT IT WILL STAND OUT.

It also clutters the screen to no end. That’s good the way it is... it reads “Live ABC News Special Report” there’s nothing to lose there especially with Breaking News in a big red box next to it which draws your eye left and then you start reading right and run right into the live bug. Doing it your way is unnecessary precisely because they managed to build this the way they did.

That you have.. shall we say... odd ideas... about how graphics should look isn’t my concern.

18 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Nah.

We're at a point now where being live for breaking news is assumed, and so it doesn't need to stand out or be so urgent. It's now a balance between how much information you can convey and how clean it looks in a single space. Let the pictures tell the story.

5 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Nah.

We're at a point now where being live for breaking news is assumed, and so it doesn't need to stand out or be so urgent. It's now a balance between how much information you can convey and how clean it looks in a single space. Let the pictures tell the story.

So then why even list that it's live. Could it be because not saying it could indicate that the footage is simply B-roll from another time?

I always liked when 'LIVE' was over the bug, as it was from the mid-2000's until the introduction of the current WNT graphics in 2015. That said, ABC's special report lower thirds have been a largely evolving product since the turn of the century, maintaining a largely similar layout. The Gibson-era version was always my favorite, seen here in a rare HD capture, ironically from just after Charlie retired.

2125213917_2021-01-21(31).thumb.png.680935f1270f5456084c0059b582d3ef.png

The early form of this look was nice, as well, frequently opting for 'LIVE COVERAGE' atop the lower thirds, simultaneously not overhyping any event (even 9/11, as shown here), while still telling the viewer that they are live. That said, the L3's weren't constantly on-screen, and would be replaced with a tab that said 'EARLIER,' or something to that effect when old footage was being shown.

916798458_2021-01-21(36).thumb.png.a062a43790626ad96a4ec924bd035478.png

The early 2000s 9/11 era lower thirds were the best. Simple, clean, and not ugly like their more recent graphics.  The fading edges are cool, compared to the modern solid rectangle trend. Likewise, it seems the white box style L3s are so ubiquitous nowadays.

I like the "live coverage" branding for frequently occuring programing interruptions like impeachments or congressional hearings. The special looses its impact when it happens every other day.

Archived