Jump to content

AMS/NWA Seal on air.


DENDude
 Share

Recommended Posts

I noticed while on vacation 2 weeks ago in Florida, that WBBH, WINK & WZVN don't put up the AMS or NWA seals when they show the name of the Meteorologist.    Is this a new thing?  WFTX has it displayed.     Does it mean there mets aren't certified?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I noticed while on vacation 2 weeks ago in Florida, that WBBH, WINK & WZVN don't put up the AMS or NWA seals when they show the name of the Meteorologist.    Is this a new thing?  WFTX has it displayed.     Does it mean there mets aren't certified?

I've never seen it on WKYT either with any of the meteorologist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest that has been the trend across all the stations throughout the country to not display the AMS or NWA seals in the lower thirds.

 

Most likely that's because nowadays people can access in a database whether or not a meteorologist has the CBM, etc on the Internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

To be honest that has been the trend across all the stations throughout the country to not display the AMS or NWA seals in the lower thirds.

 

Most likely that's because nowadays people can access in a database whether or not a meteorologist has the CBM, etc on the Internet.

 

... and no one really cares and the average viewer does not even know what the seal really means.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kshow said:

 

... and no one really cares and the average viewer does not even know what the seal really means.

As much of a weather geek as I am, even I probably wouldn't care to know what the AMS and NWA seals truly means unless I'm going to college strictly for Meteorology or something similar to that field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say that the seals are not being shown either because the meteorologist (or forecaster...) ISN'T certified to begin with, or has let their certification lapse. 

And given the state of the industry, the less-experienced and less in it for the long haul will not even bother to become certified.

 

There are two types of AMS seals, the traditional kind (with the ams in the tv-shaped box) and the CBM kind (where it says AMS CERTIFIED in a square box).  AMS no longer offers the old AMS seal, but lets sealholders keep them if they don't lapse on their dues.  They only offer the CBM seal, which is more stringent and requires more professional developement.  Those who have them deserve to show them and it's often in their contract that their seal be shown on-air.

 

As for the NWA, I'm not too familiar with them, but they seem to have a less-stringent membership policy.

 

Having a seal is more credible than your station being "chosen" by WeatherRate for having the most accurate forecast!  Now that's a scam if there ever was one....

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Having a seal is more credible than your station being "chosen" by WeatherRate for having the most accurate forecast!  Now that's a scam if there ever was one...

 

This times 1000. Shout it from the rooftops.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'd say that the seals are not being shown either because the meteorologist (or forecaster...) ISN'T certified to begin with, or has let their certification lapse. 

And given the state of the industry, the less-experienced and less in it for the long haul will not even bother to become certified.

 

There are two types of AMS seals, the traditional kind (with the ams in the tv-shaped box) and the CBM kind (where it says AMS CERTIFIED in a square box).  AMS no longer offers the old AMS seal, but lets sealholders keep them if they don't lapse on their dues.  They only offer the CBM seal, which is more stringent and requires more professional developement.  Those who have them deserve to show them and it's often in their contract that their seal be shown on-air.

 

As for the NWA, I'm not too familiar with them, but they seem to have a less-stringent membership policy.

 

Having a seal is more credible than your station being "chosen" by WeatherRate for having the most accurate forecast!  Now that's a scam if there ever was one....

 

 

I believe there's a NWA Digital seal too for those who do forecasting but for digital properties, such as websites. I looked it up and only 4 people have that specific seal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.