Coverage of Kobe Bryant's death

Info Junkie

Since it'll be quite a while, I can expect ratings for all five major syndicated magazine shows (Entertainment Tonight, Inside Edition, Access Hollywood, TMZ (who of course broke the story first), and Extra) to surge thanks to the Kobe coverage.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:45 AM, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. ABC News Correspondent Matt Gutman has been suspended after making an inaccurate statement during coverage of Kobe Bryant's death on Sunday.

Another follow up to this story: FTV is exclusively reporting that Matt Gutman is being asked to resign by upper management at ABC- Burbank division.

Link: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/2/10/exclusive-abc-news-pressuring-reporter-to-resign

Source: FTV.

Wow. Not sure I would have asked for his resignation, a suspension was sufficient enough but ABC has had more issues than other networks with inaccurate reporting. Wasn't Brian Ross demoted for an inaccurate report, then they were first to incorrectly publish the identity of a suspected mass shooter, and before that I think they were successfully sued by a company for inaccurate reporting about the quality of their meat?

Matt's report was egregious and thankfully inaccurate, but other than this one moment he has been a fantastic asset to ABC.

A suspension in journalism tends to accelerate an individual to take a demotion (Brian Ross) or resignation (Dr. Nancy Snyderman). Unfortunately, I'm not surprised about this. Gutman's career took a big hit for sharing an inaccurate statement on live broadcast television. He has been a rising star at ABC News for the past decade, so I do feel regret for him that his culmination of what is pretty much a decent career at ABC might end because of this.. This is a reminder that slow and steady still wins the race especially in "breaking news" situations, it's better to be accurate in reporting than just being "the first" to report: get your facts verified before you go on to report. 

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Wow. Not sure I would have asked for his resignation, a suspension was sufficient enough but ABC has had more issues than other networks with inaccurate reporting. Wasn't Brian Ross demoted for an inaccurate report, then they were first to incorrectly publish the identity of a suspected mass shooter, and before that I think they were successfully sued by a company for inaccurate reporting about the quality of their meat?

Matt's report was egregious and thankfully inaccurate, but other than this one moment he has been a fantastic asset to ABC.

Suspension.. Yes

Resign.. No

I don't know if I could find too many rising stars at ABC. However, he's one of them. Although his reporting was inaccurate and distasteful with regards to this situation.

The overall work has been stellar for the most part.  The saying is true by the good words of @tvtime07.. Slow and steady still wins the race in Breaking News.

However, if he's asked to resign. It's gonna take a long while before he gets picked up by another network.

Archived