Coverage of Kobe Bryant's death

Info Junkie

44 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Don’t know if this scrapes by this thread’s guidelines or not, but posting anyway:

https://www.wfla.com/news/national/report-kobe-bryant-among-5-dead-in-la-helicopter-crash/

There are no words... There are no words... All I can say is that my prayers and condolences go out to Kobe's family... his wife and children... I'm shellshock and again there are no words.

I'll make it related - a lot of the locals in Philly are cutting out of sports and breaking in for a local press conference (Kobe was a graduate of Lower Merion HS), and I believe some of the networks are going to carry a special report at 5PM ET.

ABC News and many of its affiliates have attracted the wrath of Twitter users, due to posting that Kobe’s daughters were in the helicopter at the time of the crash before there was confirmation.

This included Local 10 - and their attempted defence of the post just made matters even worse...

https://twitter.com/wplglocal10/status/1221533112162758657?s=21

I found out thru FOX college basketball preshow. Rob Stone, who finished the story about the death of brother of Michigan State's Cassius Winston, came back after the break to announce on Kobe. I like others were stunned. Feeling paralyzed. Appetite wiped out. Ill admit, haven't felt that massive loss since Michael Jackson. It was that sudden. 'Remember where you were when' took on a whole another level. You're never prepared for losses like this even if losses in general happen daily. Sometimes you want time to slow down because of moments like this. At times we may want to be psychic to a point so god forbid moments like this happen if there's a way to prevent it with all our powers. Of course we have no control over them. All the strength in the world to Bryant's Family from one who lost his mom last month. No child wants to go thru it any time, let alone this soon. Hug someone you love, speak out in appreciation. Friends, Family, you name it. RIP Mamba

Note: reports are saying his daughter may have been on the doomed flight en route to her basketball game. I'll check back. 3 others haven't been identified yet but my god if fear of what we may think of the worst case deepens, they'll be no other feelings or words to express.... 

Me being a Celtics fan so I obviously obligated to hate the Lakers, but this news straight up dropped my jaw and was hoping that it was not real when I first saw the initial reports. Kobe is a fucking legend in the basketball world and he always give the Celtics a really hard time. I offer my condolences to Kobe's family, former teammates, the Lakers organization, and the other victims who are on board's family and friends.

It looks like ABC has picked up ESPN's coverage....going straight from their own ABC News Special Report into ESPN's coverage which is also being simulcasted on ESPN2.

I haven't seen anything on CBS, although they've likely broken in several times.

FOX was running a crawl in their college basketball game.

NBC was on with a Special Report pre-empting the figure skating event, they've since gone back to figure skating.

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It looks like ABC has picked up ESPN's coverage....going straight from their own ABC News Special Report into ESPN's coverage which is also being simulcasted on ESPN2.

I haven't seen anything on CBS, although they've likely broken in several times.

NBC was on with a Special Report pre-empting the figure skating event, they've since gone back to figure skating.

Have seen several reports saying that his daughter was one of (according to the sheriff in a press conference about 30 minutes ago) the 9 onboard.

Have been watching the CBSN coverage and they have been carrying mostly the coverage from KCBS. 

14 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I caught CBS just as Tiger was finishing his round as Nantz mentioned that Woods will get the news in the Clubhouse.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

And Disney XD did not simulcast ABC's breaking news coverage during the first quarter; it returned to regular programming before first half ended.

52 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And since then, ABC is back on regular programing and ESPN is having the Celtics-Pelicans game. Coverage is still continuing on ESPN2. 

3 hours ago, RJP said:

ABC News and many of its affiliates have attracted the wrath of Twitter users, due to posting that Kobe’s daughters were in the helicopter at the time of the crash before there was confirmation.

This included Local 10 - and their attempted defence of the post just made matters even worse...

If anything though, I actually blame TMZ because they kinda reported this first on Kobe's death without family being notified. It is kinda reckless of them to do.

CBSN Bay Area is normally off the air on the weekends and broke in from CBSN programming and is simulcasting KCBS/KCAL.

KGO was simulcasting KABC newscasts. They had to turn off the KGO bug since time and temp is positioned to the right instead of KABC’s placement which is right below in the ticker zone area. 

1 hour ago, PelicanGuy said:

With all the coverage on Kobe Sunday, this happened with Allison Morris on MSNBC:

Now was it a slip-up? I think so, but many do not and are calling for her firing. Several petitions have been created, too.

She combined Knicks and Lakers... it’s sad that the Twitter mob is so ruthless... Does anybody really believe an anchor under pressure has time to insert some sort of supposed racial bias into a report while talking or at least thinking at 100MPH... these are folks who either call moms basement home or live on the couch at least... they clearly have too much time to kill and no oroblems in their own lives to deal with.. must be nice... she clearly slipped as badly as she hesitated and corrected herself immediately... is that worth potentially ruining her livelyhood?

On 1/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, RJP said:

Follow up. ABC News Correspondent Matt Gutman has been suspended after making an inaccurate statement during coverage of Kobe Bryant's death on Sunday.

From CNN:

Gutman had erroneously reported on-air that all four of Bryant's children were on board the helicopter that crashed on a hillside in Calabasas, California, on Sunday. Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna died in the crash along with seven other people. Bryant's other children were not on the helicopter.

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. ABC News Correspondent Matt Gutman has been suspended after making an inaccurate statement during coverage of Kobe Bryant's death on Sunday.

A good reporter on any other day, but perhaps worse than the initial mistake, was his long delay in correcting the error. He made no apology on social media or anything until a few hours later, during the network's next special report. And while he's getting suspended, I wonder if there'll be any warnings to Tom Llamas, who was anchoring, and/or anyone else that could've immediately pushed for clarification on such a statement, as NO other outlet reported anything close to that, at that point.

Archived