Fox Sports debuting new graphics

Georgie56

I'm surprised there was any belief Fox would even dare to implement team-specific fonts to the XFL when the NFL is clearly miles ahead in popularity and ratings. Not expecting anything different if other sports they cover like MLB and college football are treated the same should they get this package.

As for the TD graphic above? That's a good place to start if they want to do that for "featured" players in the NFL.  Get their best shots from photoshoots or use headshots if that's more convenient for every player, regardless of who is/is not star-worthy. Not sure if I posted the evidence here, but I prefer they just use no image at all like after this TD from the Big Game itself.

iIbmSF4.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an older thread as many may have missed the brief return of Fox’s (in this case, Speed’s) early 2010’s graphics during NASCAR Race Hub’s throwback show this week. Was a pleasant surprise to see.

057C5A59-7DB3-4001-BAD0-411ED2CAA865.png

3EA0C7C5-507F-4E06-A334-A38BA152B6C2.png

4A3ED615-489F-4986-9D91-2781491F1EE0.png

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, racefan_09 said:

Reviving an older thread as many may have missed the brief return of Fox’s (in this case, Speed’s) early 2010’s graphics during NASCAR Race Hub’s throwback show this week. Was a pleasant surprise to see.

Makes me wish for Speed to come back. It would be nice if they tried one of the graphics packages from the 2000's.

13 hours ago, racefan_09 said:

Wow, seeing a throwback from only 10 years ago is something I didn't think I'd see, but either way, it's nice to see those graphics again!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

About time. Interesting that it has a different "look" than the NFL package - Fox might be hopping on the different looks for different sports train.

Some more:

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/10/07/mlb-postseason-2021-foxs-new-graphics-package-showcases-gamification-natural-elements-of-baseball/

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

NASCAR's getting a new look. It's stylistically closer to the NFL package (illustrations and all) but with more of a "comic book" look. Running order display is pretty much identical except for BOLD ITALIC FONTS EVERYWHERE

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a38884019/fox-sports-turning-nascar-driver-superheroes/

Edited by Viper550

1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

NASCAR's getting a new look. It's stylistically closer to the NFL package (illustrations and all) but with more of a "comic book" look. Running order display is pretty much identical except for BOLD ITALIC FONTS EVERYWHERE

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a38884019/fox-sports-turning-nascar-driver-superheroes/

Wow, talk about two overplayed concepts in graphics design: comic book styling and heavy use of italics.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 24994J said:

How do the drivers have visible muscle definition over their suits?

Yeah, these Fox packages are comical, all right. Comically bad.

They don't lol. The whole comic book, cartoon character look is really bad. The only graphics pacakge that actually looks somewhat decent is the college basketball package, even though the scoreboard is way too big. 

The comic book look is so...overdone. It just feels like they wanted to have their own 'image trademark' like their buddies at Dow Jones have with their 'hedcuts' in the Wall Street Journal...but it turned out looking like a bad educational comic.

I don't understand why they never beta-test these fonts either, they're too bold, and the small-caps cause eye-strain as you try to figure out what letter each is.

Notably, they aren't showing any graphics involving FoxBet or their Super 6 contest in that article. One day, sports betting will be inescapable on Fox Sports, and like college rankings (I will never care that someone ranked a team #17!), they'll just add more unneeded visual clutter.

• 1 year later...

The Belmont Stakes has its own bespoke graphics package, which is surprising because I thought they'd be dragging out the old black rectangles for it.

And shockingly it's not huge and in your face. It's very green and gold with shades of the World Cup, and the old US Open theme music strikes again.

Edited by Viper550
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...