Fox Sports debuting new graphics

Georgie56

I'm in the almost certain minority who likes the look because it actually looks like sports.

The touchdown animation is definitely too huge if you have a smaller TV, but I'm thinking they're aiming for the audience that has huge 4K screens.

Here's what I will say - FOX is definitely downconverting to 720P for the OTA audience, and it showed the most during the halftime show. Completely horrendous picture quality during that.

• Like 2

I can see why they have the score gfx centered and condensed.  I also agree that this seems to be a nod to mobile viewers.  I can appreciate the ability to easy see the scores.  I think they should make the time and quarter info bigger and maybe stretch the L3s out a bit.  Overall I like the package, but hopefully they make those improvements for next year.   

Edited by TheRyan

I like the graphics as well. But the scoreboard needs work. It might actually look better if it was vertical on the left side of the screen like the old FoxBox was.

And the touchdown graphic looks very corny to me...

Edited by tjt24

My gripe is that none of this feels like Fox. A cheap NBC style, unorthodox like ESPN, though I still don't hate it. I could live with the touchdown animation, but those comic book-looking illustrations of the players are so stupid, especially since they don't have renderings of some players. Luckily, that's a very specific thing that could be too complicated to replicate league-wide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

My gripe is that none of this feels like Fox. A cheap NBC style, unorthodox like ESPN, though I still don't hate it. I could live with the touchdown animation, but those comic book-looking illustrations of the players are so stupid, especially since they don't have renderings of some players. Luckily, that's a very specific thing that could be too complicated to replicate league-wide.

I'm with you on the "none of this feels like Fox" thing. I think what makes it worse is how rarely Fox uses their own music anymore. The broadcasts feel very generic and unbranded. The graphics don't scream "Fox". The production and pop music doesn't scream "Fox". It's all quite generic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, channel2 said:

The comic book illustrations are another effort to be cool, piggybacking off all the superhero movies and such...

Honestly it reminded me of Wall Street Journal colorized woodcuts, which would make more synergetic sense, but it wasn't any better than the 'football player in a greenscreen room grabbing his jersey yoke' dullness that's overcome the sports media industry.

I'm a fan of the new look overall.  The previous look was too bland and did not present the energy that you think of when you think of Fox.

The touchdown graphics are definitely huge but do the trick if you're watching in a bar and not directly in front of a screen.

• Like 3

The only problem I had with any of the graphics was the attempt to use a typeface that approximates the team logo, especially when one was incredibly bland (Chiefs) and one was garishly ugly (49ers). (That's not a statement on the teams, just their logo typeface.)

Other than that, I didn't really have a problem with anything else. I was actually amused by the video game like animation when there was a score increase - I liked that. I didn't even have a problem with the large touchdown graphic. Everything seemed clean and well integrated, other than the team logo typeface thing as mentioned before. It also had more visual interest than the clean but somewhat boring flat look FOX Sports graphics they normally use.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

The only problem I had with any of the graphics was the attempt to use a typeface that approximates the team logo, especially when one was incredibly bland (Chiefs) and one was garishly ugly (49ers). (That's not a statement on the teams, just their logo typeface.)

This. Some of these might see changes next year, but this is the bullshit we'll get to look forward to. Yikes.

Arizona Cardinals (2005 - Pres) Atlanta Falcons (2003 - Pres) Baltimore Ravens (1999 - Pres) Buffalo Bills (2011 - Pres) Cleveland Browns (2015 - Pres) Cincinnati Bengals (2004 - Pres) Chicago Bears (1974 - Pres) Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres) Dallas Cowboys (1960 - Pres) Denver Broncos (1997 - Pres) Detroit Lions (2017 - Pres) Green Bay Packers (1959 - Pres) Houston Texans (2002 - Pres) Indianapolis Colts (2002 - Pres) Jacksonville Jaguars (2013 - Pres) Kansas City Chiefs (1988 - Pres) Las Vegas Raiders (2020 - Pres) Los Angeles  Chargers (2017 - Pres) Los Angeles Rams (2017 - Pres) Miami Dolphins (2013 - Pres) Minnesota Vikings (2004 - Pres) New England Patriots (2013 - Pres) New Orleans Saints (1967 - Pres) New York Giants (1976 - Pres) New York Jets (2019 - Pres) Philadelphia Eagles (1996 - Pres) Pittsburgh Steelers (1968 - Pres) San Francisco 49ers (2009 - Pres) Seattle Seahawks (2012 - Pres) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014 - Pres) Tennessee Titans (2018 - Pres) Washington Redskins (1972 - Pres)

• Like 3

Not sure if it was mentioned here, but these were designed by Drive : https://www.instagram.com/drivestudio/ | http://drivestudio.com/

They were trying to emulate video game graphics which kinda makes sense. It does have a Madden feel to it, especially that Touchdown graphic.

That said, I usually love Drive's work - this one missed the mark for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

This. Some of these might see changes next year, but this is the bullshit we'll get to look forward to. Yikes.

Arizona Cardinals (2005 - Pres) Atlanta Falcons (2003 - Pres) Baltimore Ravens (1999 - Pres) Buffalo Bills (2011 - Pres) Cleveland Browns (2015 - Pres) Cincinnati Bengals (2004 - Pres) Chicago Bears (1974 - Pres) Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres) Dallas Cowboys (1960 - Pres) Denver Broncos (1997 - Pres) Detroit Lions (2017 - Pres) Green Bay Packers (1959 - Pres) Houston Texans (2002 - Pres) Indianapolis Colts (2002 - Pres) Jacksonville Jaguars (2013 - Pres) Kansas City Chiefs (1988 - Pres) Las Vegas Raiders (2020 - Pres) Los Angeles  Chargers (2017 - Pres) Los Angeles Rams (2017 - Pres) Miami Dolphins (2013 - Pres) Minnesota Vikings (2004 - Pres) New England Patriots (2013 - Pres) New Orleans Saints (1967 - Pres) New York Giants (1976 - Pres) New York Jets (2019 - Pres) Philadelphia Eagles (1996 - Pres) Pittsburgh Steelers (1968 - Pres) San Francisco 49ers (2009 - Pres) Seattle Seahawks (2012 - Pres) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014 - Pres) Tennessee Titans (2018 - Pres) Washington Redskins (1972 - Pres)

And since this new look will be used on XFL Saturday...

190821151858-new-xfl-teams-large-169.jpg

• Like 4

I like it fine and don't think it's as awful as many are saying, but then again, this site tends to hate anything new nowadays.

My biggest gripe are the player stat line in the score bug is too small and transparent. They need to lower the opacity at least. The second gripe is the down and distance indicator on the field is very hard to see. If their goal was to make it appear as if it's painted on the field, they succeeded in making it look like it hadn't been repainted all season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

My biggest gripe are the player stat line in the score bug is too small and transparent. They need to lower the opacity at least.

I think their intention is to keep it on the screen for a while so, if it's rather transparent, it's obstructing less of the action.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:51 AM, 24994J said:

Glad I'm not the only one thinking about those fonts....but here's where I disagree on you. My eye test says most of these fonts will work in a team-specific L3...it's something new and refreshing that we don't see with those fonts besides jerseys, other networks' graphics, etc. Now, me personally, I can't imagine that Fox will try to force something outlandish like what you see in the Rams or Eagles script for instance; those are honestly the only two that concern me. At the least, I could see the Rams continuing with the one you see below as that 2000s font has been slowly phased out of use, but that's getting into sports logo speculation if I continue on.

Image result for sean mcvay press conference

Edited by TheFizzle21