WNBC 7:00 PM newscast

JustinH

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Adam and Gilma are good together, I wish they would just solidify them at 5:00, and have them do 7:00 if WNBC decides to stick with a 7pm newscast.

At the very least they should have two anchors at 5pm.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:49 AM, iron_lion said:

Adam and Gilma are good together, I wish they would just solidify them at 5:00, and have them do 7:00 if WNBC decides to stick with a 7pm newscast.

Well Gilma is now a permanent weekend 6PM and 11PM anchor so I don't see her co-anchoring with Adam anytime soon... I thought Rana Novini was supposed to be in the 11AM and 5PM team because during big news days (e.g winter storm coverage this year) she was brought in to co-anchor the 11AM and 5PM with Adam... She also fills in for Adam occasionally. 

4 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Looks like KNSD isn’t participating in the 7pm race. Wheel of Fortune still stands at its slot.

As it and Jeopardy should.  A 7pm newscast would've lowered their ratings in that slot.

The schedule opening was caused by the cancellation of All Access.  It was only carried on some 0&Os, like NY, LA, SF, but not all.  San Diego was not carrying the show.  Clearly it was the cheapest option for now.  

11 hours ago, SFTV said:

Looks like KNSD isn’t participating in the 7pm race. Wheel of Fortune still stands at its slot.

checking at their schedule though, I'm a bit surprised NBC at best doesn't mind at Access hollywood (first run) airing at 2:35a after a Nightly News rerun instead of, say, suggested 6:30p. Is their one hour 6:00 news that competitive or actually ranked No. 1 in ratings?

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Wow! They have Natalie doing the 4, 6, 7 and 11 broadcasts! I'm surprised they didn't try to mix-and-match the pairings a bit.

Yeah it’s odd to have Natalie anchor 4 newscasts while Chuck only anchors one.

Why does Chuck only anchor one show, and why is it dumb for him to add a show?

On 5/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, 24994J said:

Chuck is 77 years old.

That is all.

Maybe Natalie wouldn't have anchor 4 shows if they actually assigned a 2nd female to weeknights.

43 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Yeah it’s odd to have Natalie anchor 4 newscasts while Chuck only anchors one.

Chuck is headed to retirement (I hope the legend can anchor right up until the end!!!) so I get the light workload. I would swing him at least an extra half hour at 7. The station would presumably however, prefer to build up a new newscast around talent that isn't close to retirement.

36 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Maybe Natalie wouldn't have anchor 4 shows if they actually assigned a 2nd female to weeknights.

Suggestion:                              

11am Adam & Gilma        

4pm  Adam & Gilma     

5pm David & Natalie      

6pm Chuck & Natalie       

7pm Chuck & David          

11pm  David & Natalie      

39 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Chuck is headed to retirement (I hope the legend can anchor right up until the end!!!) so I get the light workload. I would swing him at least an extra half hour at 7. The station would presumably however, prefer to build up a new newscast around talent that isn't close to retirement.

Suggestion:                              

11am Adam & Gilma        

4pm  Adam & Gilma     

5pm David & Natalie      

6pm Chuck & Natalie       

7pm Chuck & David          

11pm  David & Natalie      

Perhaps he’ll hold on another 3 years to have 50 years anchoring for WNBC. I don’t see why he can’t also anchor at 7. After all he’s paid well. That’s probably the case. That make some sense. It gives better balance and I think it makes more sense to have the 5pm term co-anchor at 11 as opposed to the 4pm team just like WABC does. I don’t think two men have co-anchored together for many years in NYC although I don’t see why that can’t work for one of the newscasts.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, NowBergen said:

The schedule opening was caused by the cancellation of All Access.  It was only carried on some 0&Os, like NY, LA, SF, but not all.  San Diego was not carrying the show.  Clearly it was the cheapest option for now.  

All Access was initially only carried on half of the 12 O&O's: WNBC (NY), WVIT (CT), KNBC (LA), KNTV (SF), WCAU (PHL), and WTVJ (MIA). The latter two dropped it well before the cancellation, leaving only four stations still airing it at the end.

I caught the last episode on WNBC. There was no acknowledgement whatsoever about it being the end.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:07 AM, Georgie56 said:

As it and Jeopardy should.  A 7pm newscast would've lowered their ratings in that slot.

If KNSD did want to add a 7:00 newscast, Wheel or Jeopardy! would have had to move to another station. In the Eastern and Pacific Time Zone, those shows are required to air at 7:00 and 7:30 PM in either order, even if they are not carried on the same station. J! is allowed to air outside of this hour in CT, MT, and Hawaii, but Wheel is not. If KNSD did add 7:00 news, Wheel would probably get the boot, since removing J! would require moving Wheel to 7:30 and whatever station acquires J! putting it at 7:00 which would switch the order in that market and probably throw off fans. Also, I recall at least two instances in the past of KNSD moving Jeopardy! to 7:00 to air local specials at 7:30 and not airing that day's Wheel at all. Also worth noting that KNSD is the only NBC O&O that carries the duo.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the 7pm newscast was only 15 minuets long to accommodate an abbreviated “New York Live” at 7:15. It looks like this is a Friday thing as I’m seeing it appear on my programming guide in the exact same fashion only for next Friday. 

IMO it works because it’s Friday evening so a lifestyle show about hotspots around the city might fit that vibe.

7 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I see the 7pm newscast was only 15 minuets long to accommodate an abbreviated “New York Live” at 7:15. It looks like this is a Friday thing as I’m seeing it appear on my programming guide in the exact same fashion only for next Friday. 

IMO it works because it’s Friday evening so a lifestyle show about hotspots around the city might fit that vibe.

I don’t expect the news at 7 to be something that’s long term.

Archived