WNBC 7:00 PM newscast

JustinH

On 3/17/2020 at 7:29 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

In WTVJ's case, they're also on at 7:30 p.m. too. So WTVJ is now on at 11:30 a.m. (if 6 in the Mix is shelved in the meantime), 7:00, 7:30 and 11:30 p.m. I know its only temporary, but essentially, WTVJ has added an extra two hours of news on weekdays.

UPDATE:

It looks like only WTVJ is doing 7:30 p.m. news on some days with others being another repeat broadcast of NBC-NN.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheRolyPoly said:

UPDATE:

It looks like only WTVJ is doing 7:30 p.m. news on some days with others being another repeat broadcast of NBC-NN.

I don’t get why WNBC doesn’t have an hour long newscast at 7. Also why not have one at 11am as well?

On 1/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, Vlad said:

They used to do a 7pm newscast that initially aired on WNBC, but then subsequently moved to their digital subchannel in the late 2000s and early 2010s with Chuck Scarborough. I think it was called New York Nightly News? If my memory serves me correctly..

That is correct it was New York Nightly News when it's was on WNBC then until it went to the digital subchannel. Later it's just was News 4 New York at 7 P.M. on Cozi

For those who were wondering if the  7 p.m. local news would continue after the coronavirus crisis,

it's gone already!

The station went back to regularly scheduled syndicated programming at 7; at 7:30, WNBC continues to repeat NBC Nightly News.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, SnellKrell said:

For those who were wondering if the  7 p.m. local news would continue after the coronavirus crisis,

it's gone already!

The station went back to regularly scheduled syndicated programming at 7; at 7:30, WNBC continues to repeat NBC Nightly News.

I’m surprised they’re stopping. I’m thinking it must be a staffing issue. 

• 1 year later...

Just checked my channel guide and with "All Access" ending, it says "News 4 NY at 7" will debut on June 7th with Access Hollywood moving back to 7:30. No official announcement yet but I assume that will come soon.  

Ah that's great news - I think it's smart of WNBC to focus on expanding into hours of news coverage currently neglected by the rest of the market (11am, 7pm) etc. Now to just get rid of New York Live...

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

So it seems like WNBC is joining KNTV with launching this new newscast; wondering if all the stations they own on the coasts will eventually launch a new 7PM newscast on June 7th if they don't already have one.

Is there a source for this or is it speculation based on NBC San Francisco.'s move.  I have seen no promos or announcements.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:21 AM, mooneyhill1 said:

My suggestion for WNBC to be the 7PM weeknight newscast for real: anchored by Chuck Scarborough & Natalie Pasquarella, weather with Janice Huff, and sports with Bruce Beck.

It can be a very good idea.

Chuck used to anchor the news at 7 it was WNBC nightly news with Chuck Scarborough

6 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Perhaps he’ll anchor at 7pm again.

IF, WNBC goes that way, and no word from them or a promo that I have seen, I would highly doubt that.  Scarborough stopped hosting the 7 pm show as it moved to COZI, and began using a rotating roster of anchors and reporters.   He is winding down his career, having given up the 11 pm show several years ago, works only 4 days a week - off on Fridays.  With David doing the 4, 6 and 11, I would suspect Adam does 7 if they decide to do a newscast.  It's also odd that with All Access ending in a couple of weeks they have not announced any replacement. 

20 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Well since you went there, our former president is 74 and senile, among other things. 🤣

Well Chuck doesn’t appear to be “senile” although I do think it’s time to give someone else a chance. He’s had a good run.

4 hours ago, B2r4a6n said:

The evening lineup might look something like this...

4pm: David and Natalie 

5pm: Adam and Gilma 

6pm: Chuck and Natalie 

7pm: David (or Adam) and Gilma

11pm: David and Natalie  

It does not appear NBC plans on moving Gilma off weekends IF they plan on doing a 7 pm.  It would have happened already.   It would also leave a big gap.  It seems Rana (on leave) or Jen are more happy with fill in roles than a permanent anchor position.  There is no word if there is a 7 pm newscast planned, so it's all speculation.  I would assume Adam gets 7 pm as he has the least number of broadcasts other than Chuck who is in pre-retirement mode.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:44 AM, NowBergen said:

It's also odd that with All Access ending in a couple of weeks they have not announced any replacement. 

They're simply sliding Access Hollywood to 7:30 following the 7:00 news, the same way WCAU in Philly does it.

WNBC never cared much for All Access anyway. Any time WNBC did 7:00 newscasts before this upcoming permanent one, AH would slide to 7:30 and AA would be pre-empted, even when the anchor would sign off saying "All Access is next". Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe before Extra moved to WNYW FOX 5, WNBC aired Extra at 7:00 and AH at 7:30, and whenever NBC had Thursday Night Football pregame or "The Olympic Zone" at 7:30, AH would move up to 7:00 and pre-empt Extra. Given how much WNBC favors it, I'm surprised they don't opt to carry the overnight or next-day encores except for the Friday episodes re-airing at 3:36 AM Saturdays.

Speaking of AH at 7:30... my Xfinity listings show that the 6/17 and 18 episodes of AH are being pre-empted on both WNBC and WVIT. Anyone know what's going on those days? Is there a special for the O&O's?

They just announced the News4NY at 7 on tonight's 6 pm news.  No mention of who will be anchoring.

Also tonight, Chuck and Natalie are standing near each other behind the lucite desk, and Janice walked over to next to Chuck.  Adam was over by her during the 5 pm hour.  They mentioned everyone is vaccinated and rates are significantly lower.  Sports was from MSG so no telling if the sports anchor will return to the studio yet.

20 hours ago, NowBergen said:

They just announced the News4NY at 7 on tonight's 6 pm news.  No mention of who will be anchoring.

Also tonight, Chuck and Natalie are standing near each other behind the lucite desk, and Janice walked over to next to Chuck.  Adam was over by her during the 5 pm hour.  They mentioned everyone is vaccinated and rates are significantly lower.  Sports was from MSG so no telling if the sports anchor will return to the studio yet.

Now the question is will the 7pm newscast be a permanent one or not?

KNBC also announced their move to a 7 pm newscast.  They are promoting it (It showed up in TV Newscheck) and it named who will anchor it.  Yet other than mentions during each newscast, WNBC has not identified who will anchor the newscast.  It makes me wonder....

Archived