NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

52 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

They would still need to find something from 5-6pm, probably they would expand the 6-7pm news to that hour.

NewsNation: Early Edition starts at 5P CST/6P EST followed by The Donlon Report at 6P CST/ 7P EST. 

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jase said:

NewsNation: Early Edition starts at 5P CST/6P EST followed by The Donlon Report at 6P CST/ 7P EST. 

Right, but there would still be a hole from 5pm to 6pm Eastern (4pm-5pm Central) after your proposed repeat of the 7-noon ET (6am-11am) morning news.  Unless the repeat of the morning news was from 1pm-6pm Eastern. Either way though you still have an hour to fill.

11 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Right, but there would still be a hole from 5pm to 6pm Eastern (4pm-5pm Central) after your proposed repeat of the 7-noon ET (6am-11am) morning news.  Unless the repeat of the morning news was from 1pm-6pm Eastern. Either way though you still have an hour to fill.

I’m proposing the morning show would start at 7A CST/8A EST with the repeat starting at 12P CST/1P EST. I updated my previous post to reflect this.

7 minutes ago, jase said:

I’m proposing the morning show would start at 7A CST/8A EST with the repeat starting at 12P CST/1P EST. I updated my previous post to reflect this.

I see now. Didn’t realize you were on Central Time. That would be catering to the work at home people and would effectively be a midday newscast as well. 

11 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

They're gonna need more studio space as they keep adding shows.

Not necessarily. To this point, they've only really used the newsroom set for flash cam morning updates, not to mention the adjoining interview set. In addition to all that, Ashleigh Banfield's hour will originate from Connecticut, and either way, there's no more empty studio space at WGN.

22 hours ago, 24994J said:

Not necessarily. To this point, they've only really used the newsroom set for flash cam morning updates, not to mention the adjoining interview set. In addition to all that, Ashleigh Banfield's hour will originate from Connecticut, and either way, there's no more empty studio space at WGN.

Doesn't WGN have 3 studios? WGN-TV is in 1, WGN American is in 1, and there's another one that WGN America used for their studio before it was completed. Unless I'm missing something. 

22 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Doesn't WGN have 3 studios? WGN-TV is in 1, WGN American is in 1, and there's another one that WGN America used for their studio before it was completed. Unless I'm missing something. 

Before newsroom construction was done, NewsNation did indeed work out of the black-curtained Studio 1. That said, I'd imagine WGN9 maintains control of that for when they can have performances, and for any special programming.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, jase said:

They could do a 5 hr. morning newscast (7A-12P CST, repeat 12-5P CST) followed by the new evening lineup (and a repeat of that) and they're set for the day. On the weekends, tap the Nexstar affiliates to help supplement news coverage during the day. This would be the most-cost effective way to get things going without wasting a ton of money.

I think you can get away with rerun newscasts at night, but so much stuff is happening in the national arena between 12pm-5pm CST that I don't think you can cram repeats during that block without it being very stale.  It's arguably the busiest time of day in both the executive and legislative branches of government. You would at the very minimum need a live :00 and :30 block during those hours to provide all of the latest headlines and press conference clips.

55 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I think you can get away with rerun newscasts at night, but so much stuff is happening in the national arena between 12pm-5pm CST that I don't think you can cram repeats during that block without it being very stale.  It's arguably the busiest time of day in both the executive and legislative branches of government. You would at the very minimum need a live :00 and :30 block during those hours to provide all of the latest headlines and press conference clips.

I think it depends on what type of morning show they produced. If it, for example, is a morning version of NewsNation: PrimeTime, then they could get away with airing a repeat. 

The majority of stuff that airs in the afternoon on CNN, FNC, etc... are things they either constantly repeat every 15-30 mins. or stuff they like to label as ‘breaking news’ when it’s not. Plus, NN could easily break-in IF warranted and do a live update at the top/bottom of the hour.

I just hope they don’t start creating a bunch of anchor-branded shows (Banfield, The Donlon Report, etc..). 

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread

This thread has been moved to US Cable News as it is now technically the beginnings of a cable news network. On March 1, this thread will be closed as NewsNation becomes a proper cable channel, and the program NewsNation is reformatted into different programs.

• Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Midday you could do what Sinclair does with AM All Day on STIRR - have morning segments from around the country play as a video jukebox outside of three or four minute news headlines in the style of the NewsNation Now morning updates (although I'd use much b-roll video instead of the still photos that NN Your Morning uses). There have got to be 100 different Nexstar morning shows around the country and repurposing a musician on the KTLA Morning News, or some cute kid on the KARK morning show, could be cheaply done until they figure out what to program in the midday. It also wouldn't be that much to do better than The National Desk on Sinclair stations as well.

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I like Scott Jones' idea...bring back the WGN Morning news!!!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/1/27/nexstar-should-do-this

It's a good enough show that it should have a national audience once again.  Throw in some national segments (only seen on NewsNation) and it could work!

It's a good idea- and honestly an inexpensive one at that since the bulk of the product is already there. I just hate it's that guy's "idea". Could already be in the works at Nexstar, who knows? He'll take the credit for it anyways (while still shitting on the overall product).

Hard to take someone who spends his' days calling out stations for typos on L3's/websites etc seriously when he produces them en masse. Hello pot, meet kettle!

38 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

I think they shouldn't rebrand News Nation until all the offnet shows are off the channel and it becomes a 24-hour a day news network just my opinion. I wonder when all that offnet shows contract expire on WGN America?

There's probably a penalty-out in September for the vast majority of them where they'd have to pay to get out of their deals, with some expiring naturally in September (Last Man Standing and Person of Interest come to mind there). They could also do a split-branding like TV Land does now for their daily western block under "TV Land Classic" so that those viewers are accomodated until the rights expire.

7 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I think they shouldn't rebrand News Nation until all the offnet shows are off the channel and it becomes a 24-hour a day news network just my opinion. I wonder when all that offnet shows contract expire on WGN America?

I suspect the seemingly-rushed rebranding may be tied into the recent carriage agreements that Nexstar has been signing for the network  with providers that didn't previously carry WGNA. I wonder if the agreements are specifically for NewsNation, as opposed to WGNA, and required Nexstar to rebrand the network within X number of days of the agreements taking effect. Or maybe the agreements pay $0.xx per subscriber for WGNA and $0.yy, with y>x, for NN so Nexstar wants to make the change ASAP.

If I were Nexstar, I wouldn't screw with the WGN morning news - they have a strong following and they do very well. Until the channel gets a following established and produces a proper news formatted show, why not do a 'Newsy' type fill ins with contributions from Nexstar affiliates? Go live with breaking news with the affiliates until the News Nation kicks in to pick up the coverage. 

One thing that News Nation does is that they claim they have 5500 journalist - local journalist from their stations - which they never use. 

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

There's probably a penalty-out in September for the vast majority of them where they'd have to pay to get out of their deals, with some expiring naturally in September (Last Man Standing and Person of Interest come to mind there). They could also do a split-branding like TV Land does now for their daily western block under "TV Land Classic" so that those viewers are accomodated until the rights expire.

I wonder what branding they'd use for non news programming?

8 hours ago, dabx said:

One thing that News Nation does is that they claim they have 5500 journalist - local journalist from their stations - which they never use. 

MSNBC and Fox News have made the same claim since 1996, but I haven't seen an affiliate report on those networks since post-9/11. It's promotional hyperbole that's simply never stood up in actual scrutiny because someone's feelings on the main network will be hurt if Doug Noname from Great Falls gets to introduce/present his own report instead, so a network guy dubs it over.

8 hours ago, dabx said:

Go live with breaking news with the affiliates until the News Nation kicks in to pick up the coverage. 

That would have conflict with station that have network affiliations. Like ABC, NBC, and CBS. And occasionally FOX it they do an unplanned special report, not a planned special coverage like the Inaguration. So special reports would be for affiliates like MYTV Network affiliates and CW affiliates and occasionally sone FOX affiliates if there no one to do a special report.

5 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

MSNBC and Fox News have made the same claim since 1996, but I haven't seen an affiliate report on those networks since post-9/11

There on air reports from affiliates  on FOX News Channel all the time.

Archived